Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can a dog be taking off you if not wearing a muzzle?

• 22-05-2012 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I have a dog on the dangerous breeds list (staffie) and he won't wear a muzzle :o

Can the gardi take my dog off me? :(

He is on the lead and never off it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭time lord

The short answer would be no. The offence of not having the dog securely muzzled is leaving yourself open for a court summons. No fixed penalty applies. The Gardai cannot take your dog off you without a court order.

If you have recurring issues on this matter with a Garda the summons is a very viable option open to them though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

There is no such thing as the dangerous breeds list in ireland!!

No they cannot take the dog off you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

OP - for your own peace of mind maybe continue to work with your dog on wearing the muzzle. Just do it slowly over a number of days or a week or two - get the dog familiar with the muzzle - when you take it out - treat the dog for the first few times without trying to put it on.

Then slowly bring it closer to your dog - again rewarding them if she are inquisitive. Then put some treats in and encourage your dog to eat out of it - again without trying to put it on - rewards all the way.
    Finally put it on for a few seconds - without fastening it - again you got it - rewarding.
    Just build it up from here.

We used to put peanut butter on the inside of our dogs muzzle for the first few weeks. They still don't like it - but do allow us to put the muzzle on now.

Has saved us a number of times from people who don't listen to "please stay back my dog is nervous and will bite..."

To your question - no - they can't just take your dog off you - however I think a dog warden or garda can get a court order under the control of dogs act - maybe google it just to be sure. Always better to be safe than sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

Janet1986 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I have a dog on the dangerous breeds list (staffie) .

There is no dangerous dog list but a restricted dog list in Ireland. Also there is no such thing as a dangerous dog but dangerous owners who make the dogs turn dangerous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

Op what are your dog's mannerisms like around other dogs/people?

As has been said above there is no such thing as a dangerous dogs list however there is a section within the Control of Dogs Act that allows for your dog to be seized.

For your own information take a look at Section 16 B of the Control of Dogs Act. (b) seize any dog and detain it in order to ascertain whether an offence under this Act is being or has been committed
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1986/en/act/pub/0032/print.html#sec16

Also just for everyone's information I have seen a dog taken by a Guard. The dog was taken in the middle of the day from a man on Grafton Street. The dog was later that day handed over to the warden. A court case ensued and the dog was destroyed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Janet1986

Thanks for your replies :)

My dog is male, 6yrs old and was a stray when i found him.

Very well behaved dog, no aggression, complete pet, good with other dogs and people.

He's used to being pampered in my opinion :)

The gardi have asked me on a few occasions what is he? A pitbull or staff. :o

I even have the pooper scooper bags tied on to the lead.

Advertisement