Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling plants from home..?

Options
  • 22-05-2012 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

Ok, this is prob in the wrong area..

But can plants of any kind be produced at home and sold on websites such as donedeal??
    Do i need some sort of licence or is this perfectly legal ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

how would you post plants without them getting damaged by An Post?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,198 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

There`s a lot of banned plants in the last few years you'd want to make sure there all legal. Also as OP says transportation could be a problem, might work OK at a local level but not nationwide.

There`s a lot of banned plants in the last few years you'd want to make sure there all legal. Also as OP says transportation could be a problem, might work OK at a local level but not nationwide.

do you know what plants are banned?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭The Apprentice

cannibis ?

cannibis ?

that's obvious to anyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭The Apprentice

Everyone except you

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Hort101

All that im asking that i could sell plants from home on a small scale to people around the county?? yes or no?? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭macraignil

There is some legislation in place in Ireland since 1936 prohibiting growth of some other plants. The noxious weed act allows a minister to specify plants that are problematic and so this may not be the complete list. Just found it on the internet.

List of weeds designated noxious is as follows:
    * Thistle, Ragwort and Dock - 1937 Order
    * Common Barberry - 1958 Order
    * Male Wild Hop Plant - 1965 Order
    * Wild Oat - 1973 Order
    The reasons for designating them noxious are varied. Ragwort is poisonous to
    herbivores when grazed or consumed in hay or silage. Thistle and dock in
    grassland and wild oat in cereal crops reduce yields appreciably. Also, their seeds
    spread widely, mainly by wind, resulting in clean lands becoming contaminated.
    Male wild hop plant cross-pollinates with cultivated varieties, thereby reducing the
    quality of the latter. Common barberry harbours black stem rust, which is a disease
    that attacks cultivated cereal crops.

I have seen most of these growing freely and even seen barberry planted recently in supermarket landscaping near where I live so I don't know if anyone takes this legislation seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭macraignil

Yes or no??
    Sold a few plants not listed above off ebay last year and nobody stopped me so I would say yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 apintpls

Go to Glasgavin Botanic graden and you will find what plants are banned and why. Then talk to staffs there:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Hort101

Thanks everyone :)

Advertisement