Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long Range WiFi Card

Options
  • 22-05-2012 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭

Any one have any experience of a long range PCIA WiFi card?

I got one years ago, but it had such short range I never actually used it. Reception on 3 different routers is fine on my phone or laptop. Just the Desktop not picking up anything. The router is actually nearly just a floor above the PC, so maybe 10 meters max away separated by the floor + a wall.

Could any one recommend a decent card ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Any one have any experience of a long range PCIA WiFi card?

I got one years ago, but it had such short range I never actually used it. Reception on 3 different routers is fine on my phone or laptop. Just the Desktop not picking up anything.

Could any one recommend a decent card ?

Have you thought about a homeplug?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

kippy wrote: »
    Have you thought about a homeplug?

netgear-xe102g-wall-plugged-ethernet-extender-kit.jpg
    These things? If yes then no. Read some stuff about it, but mostly of what I found were not great reviews. Theres a pair running around work might try them.

But either way I have enough Wires around the house, the last thing I really want is an extra occupied socket and more wires :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

I think Zyxel used to do long range wifi so you could have a look at their products. Havent used though, so you would have to look for reviews etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Do you have a Wireless-N router?

roast wrote: »
    Do you have a Wireless-N router?

I think both of them are WiFi 802.11b/g

One of them is Cisco one for UPC i never read into it weather it was or not. The other one is Huawei B260a which doesn't support N.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭..Brian..

The cisco isn't wireless N, the Thomson is upc's wireless n router. I assume drilling a hole and running a cable up is not an option so wireless N is probably your best bet. You'll get on for free if you upgrade your UPC BB to 50mb if it's available in your area. Will only cost you an extra €5 per month if your on their 25mb package.

..Brian.. wrote: »
    The cisco isn't wireless N, the Thomson is upc's wireless n router. I assume drilling a hole and running a cable up is not an option so wireless N is probably your best bet. You'll get on for free if you upgrade your UPC BB to 50mb if it's available in your area. Will only cost you an extra €5 per month if your on their 25mb package.

Yeah the UPC broadband is at my college house. I'll be moving out of there in a week.

At home I have the b260 mid band unit.

Don't really feel like running wires through walls either

Advertisement