Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative suggestions to Elizabethan collar for cats.

• 23-05-2012 12:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 297 ✭✭

One of my family of furbys has to have a small biopsy in the next few days and the vet said, despite not liking to use them, that he'd probably have to wear a collar for a few days as there'll be some small stitches on his chin.

He's a nervous cat at the best of times and I know he'll absolutely hate having to wear a collar so I just wondered if anyone had any tried and tested suggestions as to an alternative that I could make/use for a few days. It's not enough notice to allow me to try and source something online.
    Any info would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

I know its still a collar but have you checked out inflatable collars? It might be easier on him as he will be able to see around him rather than the lampshade blocking his view.
    The chin will be a hard one to have stitches on.
    I think one of the vets in Lucan stocked them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 297 ✭✭MaryK666

Thanks Themadhouse.

I know that he'll have to wear some kind of collar to stop the scratching, especially as he seems to have much smaller, sharper claws that the others and can do some serious damage with them.
    And it's his chin, which he already scratches regularly anyway, so we'll need to do something to stop him getting at the stitches.

I know he's got to wear some kind of collar but I just hate those cone collars and he's a nervous little man anyway so one of those would really freak him out.
    Plus, we won't be there all the time and there'll be an hour here or there when there's nobody in the house to keep an eye on him and, if he got stressed and got stuck somewhere he might really injure himself

I've been googling collars and have found one or two alternatives that I could try and make myself at home but the inflatible version you have suggested sounds like it might do the job - if I can stop the little monster putting holes in it.

I'll try ringing round a few vets in the phonebook tomorrow and see if I can locate something but if you know for certain which vet it was, I'd really appreciate a PM with the name.

The next few days are going to be fun - Not!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

I've just asked a friend which vet it was. I think she had said it was the one down towards woodies. I'll pm you when she gets back to me. You could try Steve in river forest or the new one at tesco in maynooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Aru

Just wondering outloud here...but will an inflatable collar actully stop the cat using his back legs scratching if the stitches are on his chin?
    I have a nasty suspecion that they only are for abdominal wounds and that the animals face can still reach their legs.....just pointing it out OP in case you end up wasting money otherwise.....

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭candle_wax

I don't think any cat (nervous or not) likes having the collars on. But from my own experience (about 5 different cats who needed them), they've all adjusted fine within a day or two.
    I honestly think it's worse for the owners to be looking on and feeling guilty...!

• Advertisement
Advertisement