Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paid deposit but another agency let apartment to another couple!

Options
  • 23-05-2012 1:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi,
    My partner and I secured an apartment on 14th May with a deposit of €500 (the letting agent confirmed to us in an email that this would secure the apartment and ensure that it was taken off the market).
    Some work needed to be done to the apartment - dishwasher repaired/replaced, curtains fixed and a fresh coat of paint throughout. We were also told in writing that this would be complete in time for our initial move in date - 19th May.

However, after chasing the letting agents we were told the earliest that it would be ready would be 22nd May. We agreed that this would be ok.
    Now it has come to our attention that the apartment has been let by another agency/landlord and new people have moved into the apartment.

I would be grateful if anyone could provide some legal advice as to where we stand on this - surely as we paid our deposit first the landlord/letting agency has entered into some sort of legally binding contract with us?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Make sure that the people who took your deposit are the actual owners and not a scam.

And yes, they should have held it for you; that's what the deposit is generally for. Sounds VERY dodgy to me.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,301 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

michelle84 wrote: »
    I would be grateful if anyone could provide some legal advice as to where we stand on this - surely as we paid our deposit first the landlord/letting agency has entered into some sort of legally binding contract with us?

No legal advice on boards.
    See a solicitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

report the agent to the PRTB this is very bad and needs to be stopped.

Do you have an address for the agent if so get yourself down there and sit on them until they give you back your money

You can also contact threshold and get them to inform agent of their irresponsibles

and if you still get nowhere take them to the small claims court

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Ive often wondered how often this happens when I see the same place listed by two different agents on Daft.

Have you spoken with the agent you were dealing with yet? One would assume that it was a mix up and they will be giving you your money back? Or are they being sticky about it...?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kosseegan

michelle84 wrote: »
    Hi,
    My partner and I secured an apartment on 14th May with a deposit of €500 (the letting agent confirmed to us in an email that this would secure the apartment and ensure that it was taken off the market).
    Some work needed to be done to the apartment - dishwasher repaired/replaced, curtains fixed and a fresh coat of paint throughout. We were also told in writing that this would be complete in time for our initial move in date - 19th May.

However, after chasing the letting agents we were told the earliest that it would be ready would be 22nd May. We agreed that this would be ok.
    Now it has come to our attention that the apartment has been let by another agency/landlord and new people have moved into the apartment.

More than likely your deposit was paid subject to lease. Just get your money back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Your first objective is getting your money back.

If you want to pursue a legal route, you should consult a solicitor.

There are lots of properties out there.

Advertisement