Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do I have any right to digital copies of my photoshoot?

• 23-05-2012 1:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭

So I got the girlfriend a voucher for a photo session and we'll be going in to view the photos in a few days. When we got the shoot done, the voucher entitled us to one framed print. I asked him how do we view the digital prints and he said we don't get those.. To be honest we're more interested in the digital copies than a framed one..

Do we have any legal right to the digital copies?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Farcear

Photographer wouldn't have much of a business model if you did.

(Matters of copyright are usually determined by whatever agreement is reached between the parties.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Danger781 wrote: »
    Do we have any legal right to the digital copies?

Unless it's written in to a contract that you have a right to them, then the photographer retains copyright on all images taken, which would mean you have no right to digital copies.

Check your contract. Normally it would state clearly, or even state that the photographer retains all copyright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭frag420

I am also curious about this. Under freedom of info act or data act or similar can one not request all images of them from say a cctv camera to be given to them?

Would this law not superceed a contract between a customer and the protographer. Whats to stop the photographer from selling those images to another source for promotion or similar?

frag420 wrote: »
    I am also curious about this. Under freedom of info act or data act or similar can one not request all images of them from say a cctv camera to be given to them?

You could, and the photographer can give you images that are so small, that they can just about be seen clearly on a screen, but definitely not quality enough to print, and they can add a nice big watermark to stop you using their image.
    Would this law not superceed a contract between a customer and the protographer. Whats to stop the photographer from selling those images to another source for promotion or similar?

Again, their use of the image (or proposed use) would be specified in the contract. They cannot sell an image of you for an advertising purpose, because you are not granting permission to endorse the product. It again would go back to the contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

Well that's disappointing.. All I wanted was to put the photos in a digital photo frame..

Don't really need / want an actual printed photo :/

• Advertisement

No harm in you going back to the photographer and stating that. They may be inclined to give you what you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

FOI does not apply here and it's not a CCTV camera.

You need to check the terms of the contract as to use and ownership of the prints.

The voucher entitles you to one framed print and there is nothing to stop you purchasing others 9framed or unframed).

You could ask the photographer if you'll give you the contact sheet. A sheet of all the photos on one page. The sometimes give you this to allow you make your selection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

Usually a photographer will sell you prints, you may have to actually pay him for the digital copies as he is losing his money on the prints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

The photographer will sell these to you. All you need to do is agree a price!

Advertisement