Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where to get DuraCoat

Options
  • 23-05-2012 1:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭

hi guys have any of ye used DuraCoat? if so where did ye get it from?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭fitzy700

gunhappy on here is your man he knows all about it,he is at it a good while

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

gunhappy did my rifle years ago and the finish is still great. No fading, flaking, peeling. Perfect job

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭dax121

thanks guys was talking to him :)

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭HughF

Don't bother your A**e. It is really only a paint coat and not any better than any other. If you want a simple and effective finish that is easily renewed or fixed go into Halfords and buy a can of black bumper paint. Just touch up as you need and it will out last anything else and only a fraction of the cost

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭harmoniums

Barbeque high temperature paint and engine block paint are allegedly the same stuff, but thats just what I've heard on the internet, so take it for what its worth, ie. not much!
    Seemingly if you can break down the piece, a good bake in the oven at some kind of lowish temperature really helps cure and harden it.

I wonder if Gunhappy will share some pics of his work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

Sorry.... Cant advertise !

Sorry.... Cant advertise !

Throw up a few pictures.

Wrong button pressed...... Will be back repost in a minute :P

What started it all Saber Defence XR41:

31102008003.jpg

31102008004.jpg

1911 I did while on the course with LCW... unfortunately I dont get many of these:
    14032009-2.jpg

Some of ye may have seen this before:
    07102011008-1.jpg
    07102011006-1.jpg

A rifle that I posted up on another forum with before and afters:
    Before:
    DSCF2075-1.jpg
    After:
    DSCF2099.jpg

Some Shotguns including my own:
    20012012096.jpg

DSCF0975.jpg

Airsoft stuff:
    P1030701.jpg

P1030693-1.jpg

My newest G3 rifle (manufactured in late 60s) not long after painting:

03022012105.jpg

03022012103.jpg

GH

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

HughF wrote: »
    Don't bother your A**e. It is really only a paint coat and not any better than any other. If you want a simple and effective finish that is easily renewed or fixed go into Halfords and buy a can of black bumper paint. Just touch up as you need and it will out last anything else and only a fraction of the cost
    Personally, and each to their own, there is not a hope in hell i'm putting a €10 can of Halford's (or any car accessory shop) near my pride, and joy. Not a fecking hope of it.

Also why do it on the cheap, have it looking like a real DIY job that needs constant care when for a little more you get a professional job, that lasts years.

As said each to their own, but i've seen home sprayed rifles, and to put it nicely, i wouldn't take them for free. They have made good quality rifles look cheap.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement

deffo put the good stuff on it as i would imagine anything else mite chip and scratch very easily.
    gunhappy nice work and nice kit :D

Sorry .... pictures are taken on a camera phone so there not showing in there true light !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

dax121 wrote: »
    deffo put the good stuff on it as i would imagine anything else mite chip and scratch very easily.
    gunhappy nice work and nice kit :D

That Steyr Pro Hunter is mine:D fabulous job

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

dax121 wrote: »

True that, I did my mossberg last week and had it out for the first time today and the top good paint is after been scratched off in places just from walking and getting over ditches.

For the 15 quid it cost me though it still looks better than condition it was in before.
    If its a decent gun worth a few bob not a hope you should put the cheap stuff on it unless you are going to nurse it out in the field like a baby.

garv123 wrote: »
    True that, I did my mossberg last week and had it out for the first time today and the top good paint is after been scratched off in places just from walking and getting over ditches.

For the 15 quid it cost me though it still looks better than condition it was in before.
    If its a decent gun worth a few bob not a hope you should put the cheap stuff on it unless you are going to nurse it out in the field like a baby.
    cheap stuff is fine to clean something up. but the AR will see the hard life thru ditch's and dykes :pac:

Honestly gunhappy's work looks like a factory finish.

The only place the paint has worn is where the moderator bush rubs the barrel and it's only noticeable lately, after years of (ab)use.

Thanks guys for your opinions on the matter both good and bad are interesting.

There are literally 100s of videos on YouTube on "how to DIY apply camo" where the person is using a variety of ferns/leaves/fishnets/branches to cover 1 side at a time as they refinish.

In there defense, it looks good...... but in reality ive seen the problems that they create from the simple of to much/to little paint (that wears away quickly) to patterns not matching as it reaches the top of the firearm with the extreme of finding bits of leaf embedded in the paint. This is fine if you decide that your going to shoot your firearm until its worth nothing.

I believe at the moment (as for the last several years) that im the only certified Duracoat/Cerakote applicator in the country with the backing/expertise of both companies there isnt any situation that I havent seen or got advise on. I believe that these products while they seem extravagant are very very durable, require little care and unless your in a high end military application will last a life time. To that effect ill guarantee any work I do.

GH

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Just seen this over on Rimfirecentral.com of a before and after of a Beretta pistol that was Durocoated.
    http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4036669#post4036669

2dw5ex.jpg

2yyqi54.jpg

Advertisement