Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things to do in Hobart

Options
  • 23-05-2012 4:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

The New Sydney Hotel is nice on a cold day, a pint at the bar, fire on the go, no TVs or Poker machines

Also fresh fish and chips from the floating chippers down on Franklin Wharf. Tassie was my favourite part of Oz. Just strolling around Hobart is awesome, do a walking tour from the lonely planet. Great sense of character and history there, unusual for Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

04072511 wrote: »
    I’m really looking forward to going there. When travelling South America some of my favourite bits were seeing beautiful historical colonial towns like Paraty, Colonia, Valparaiso and Cusco. Australia lacks this sort of thing, but looking at the pictures of Battery Point and Richmond (20km away) and I think Hobart could be a place I will really enjoy. Probably as close to genuine history as you will get in Australia (with the exception of Aboriginal history, of which we know very little).

Louisa’s Walk is the highest rated attraction in Hobart on the TripAdvisor website. Supposed to be some sort of walking theatrical show about the life of women during the convict times on Van Dehman’s Land.

Any other must-do’s out there?

Check out Port Arthur (I think its in Hobart) Its a really interesting ex penal colony. Turns out half the prisoners were Irish. Some really good history there if that's your kinda thing!

There are plenty of boat trips that operate at from Hobart that are pretty good. Market on Saturday is good too.

Oh and if your near North Tasi at all you'd wanna check out Cradle Mountain.. Its a great hike

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

The ones you have listed are the must see, bring a beanie when climbing Mt Welly and seafood is a must at Franklin Wharf.
    Lark distillery, there should be music in the bar also at weekend. They do have a Day long tour but it's a bit $$, you have to really like your whisky
    MONA museum of old and new art, a must see. It opened/reopened in 2011, lots of Critical acclaim.
    Elizabeth St up the hill from the water if you want less touristy eats and drinks.
    You won't have time for Port Arthur. It's a long drive down and back and you need an entire day there plus there's other stuff to see in the area.

I went to Port Arthur, but I didnt pay in to the site. This may sound silly, but it was extremely expensive and it felt a little bit like they were profiteering from the human misery of the place.

There was a free exhibition down the road which was fascinating. There is a little neck of land across which they strung viscious dogs to stop the convicts escaping.

You should pass by the aboriginal centre for an, ahem, alternative take on the history of Tasmania.

tasmanian-aboriginal-centre_invasio.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Port Arthur is good to see. A lot of the old ruins are there. You go into the vistor centre and they give you a name of a person. You then go in and find out about that convict/person and their journey so to speak. Gives you an idea of how harsh these people were treated but many went on to do well themselves.
    One thing to be aware of is that there was a lot of people killed in the visiting centre a number of years back when a crazed gunman went on a shooting spree. We were told that people still dont like to talk about it and only a small wooden plaque commemorates their deaths. Partly perhaps because they dont want to take the focus away from the convict visitor site itself.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Arthur_massacre_(Australia)

I climbed Cradle Mountain. Tough enough climb. A number of people have died on it when weather turned. Think a Dutch guy's remains were found after couple of years. A fit person could climb it no bother.
    Climb Mt Amos for the spectacular views of Wineglass bay. A must do if you have time.

Hobart is lovely. Cruise ships come in there. Lovely plaza/square. IIRC Salamanca markets are around there. Good few bars similar to back home.
    Tas is quite familiar in many ways to Ireland. People are v relaxed.
    Strahan is a nice little spot.
    Plus there are fanastic sand dunes there somewhere. I cant remember where but good for walk and a slide.

http://www.wineglassbay.com/
    http://www.discovertasmania.com/western_wilderness/towns_and_places/cradle_mountain-lake_st_clair_national_park
    http://www.touringtasmania.info/henty_dunes.htm

Tas is quite familiar in many ways to Ireland. People are v relaxed.
    I was taken aback by the friendliness of the locals, they really are a breed apart from the rest of Oz.
    Strahan is a nice little spot.
    Plus there are fanastic sand dunes there somewhere. I cant remember where but good for walk and a slide.
    Only a couple of KMs from Strahan.

6775274813_19923ce0f8_z.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

If you are there on the weekend there is are good markets by the docks. Tasmania should really be done by a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

I know it's not Hobart but the boags brewary tour in launst is great.

Advertisement