Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Villarreal A/B

• 23-05-2012 7:09am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know what the story is with Villarreal being relegated and Villarreal B not getting promoted? Will they be allowed play against one another next year or is that just a little too dodgy?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Does anyone know what the story is with Villarreal being relegated and Villarreal B not getting promoted? Will they be allowed play against one another next year or is that just a little too dodgy?
    No Villarreal B are automatically relegated as the two sides cannot play eachother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭PeterTwo

Felexicon wrote: »
    No Villarreal B are automatically relegated as the two sides cannot play eachother.

If the B team had been promoted would they be able to play in the Premier Division since the A team got relegated?

PeterTwo wrote: »
    If the B team had been promoted would they be able to play in the Premier Division since the A team got relegated?
    No because the B team is a secondary team they have to be at least a division below the first team. Otherwise in this instance there would be no disadvantage to the club for getting relegated

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Google search:
    In Spain, the B team is effectively the reserve team for the first team. And it is not allowed for both the reserve and the first team to compete in the same division.

As long as the (B) team does not play in the same division as the (A) team, they (the B team) can be promoted as far as their talent allows them to be.

So, since FC Barcelona play in La Liga, Barcelona B can be promoted only up to the Segunda Division. If (ever) the Barcelona first team is relegated to the Segunda Division, the B team may be allowed to move to La Liga (depending on their standing the Segunda Division, of course).

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Google search:
    Jesus. Wouldn't have thought that would be the case but there you go.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

If Villarreal B had gone up then would the club effectively have avoided relegation and just moved their players around?

If Villarreal B had gone up then would the club effectively have avoided relegation and just moved their players around?
    That's what I thought aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I remember once in championship manager, while managing Barcelona, getting the Barcelona B team to the second division and them winning it. I was so disappointed when it would not let them get promoted :(

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I remember once in championship manager, while managing Barcelona, getting the Barcelona B team to the second division and them winning it. I was so disappointed when it would not let them get promoted :(

Does someone else go up instead then or does a team in the Primera survive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Someone else goes up. Barca B got to the playoffs recently but couldn't take part, so 7th place was given the last play-off spot instead.

There's been a couple of other weird things with B teams in Spain. In 1981 (I think) the Copa del Rey final was Real Madrid vs.... Real Madrid (Castilla, which is their B team). After this fiasco B teams were no longer allowed take part in the Copa del Rey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

I wonder if the same thing was allowed in England would the Manchester City B team sluice up in the Championship?

Pantillimon

Boyata -- Toure -- Savic -- Kolarov

De Jong -- M. Johnson

A. Johnson
    Weiss

Dzeko ---- Santa Cruz ----

Would be hard bet I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,594 ✭✭✭✭CSF

cson wrote: »
    I wonder if the same thing was allowed in England would the Manchester City B team sluice up in the Championship?

Pantillimon

Boyata -- Toure -- Savic -- Kolarov

De Jong -- M. Johnson

A. Johnson
    Weiss

Dzeko ---- Santa Cruz ----

Would be hard bet I'd imagine.
    Most of those players wouldn't be playing for the B team, they're first team squad members. I don't think Pedro, Messi etc. can play for Barcelona B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

CSF wrote: »
    Most of those players wouldn't be playing for the B team, they're first team squad members. I don't think Pedro, Messi etc. can play for Barcelona B

Fair point, I'm going off the basis that the likes of the players I've listed above probably played a nice bit of reserve team football for City this year.

Didn't Cuenca play for Barca B early in the season though? Can you go one way and not the other type of thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,594 ✭✭✭✭CSF

CSF wrote: »

Fair point, I'm going off the basis that the likes of the players I've listed above probably played a nice bit of reserve team football for City this year.

Didn't Cuenca play for Barca B early in the season though? Can you go one way and not the other type of thing?
    Id be inclined to think that's what it is, yeah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

From reading the OP it seems to (unintentionally) suggest that Villareal B were actually in a promotion position from Segunda División. They're actually stuck in midtable in Segunda. Therefore the idea of promoting them purely because Villareal 'A' now need to use Segunda División wouldn't be the correct thing to do in any circumstances imho.

To me the solution of relegating both appears to be the sensible and logical one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

If you are promoted to the "A" squad, you can no longer play for the B. However, some players wuld be brought into the A squad from time to time, and are still eligible for the B team, for example Marc Muniesa, Marc Bartra, Sergio Roberto etc are not "A" squad players so still play with "B".

HOWEVER, if a player, say Bartra, is brought into the A squad for this weeks training and match, he is then excluded from B activity that week.

The likes of Pedro even when unfit or out of form is not relegated to the B side AFAIK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭Sr. Pirotecnic

carlop wrote: »
    Someone else goes up. Barca B got to the playoffs recently but couldn't take part, so 7th place was given the last play-off spot instead.

There's been a couple of other weird things with B teams in Spain. In 1981 (I think) the Copa del Rey final was Real Madrid vs.... Real Madrid (Castilla, which is their B team). After this fiasco B teams were no longer allowed take part in the Copa del Rey.

Real Madrid won the double that year (beating Castilla 6-1 in the cup final) so Castilla played in the cup winners cup, surely a unique event. They lost to west ham after extra time in second leg of their first tie, behind closed doors if i remember correctly. They are currently looking good for a return to the 2nd after winning 0-3 in Cadiz in the play-off first leg.

ANother weird thing is that some B teams can play-off for promotion even though the A team is in the division ahead of them. for exaple at the moment Albacete B are in play-offs to go up to 2b while ALbacete A are in play offs to go up from 2b to 2a. Bit of a joke if Alba B win through and the A team don't, i presume the team beaten by ALba B would go up instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭eire4

Felexicon wrote: »

Obviously they would have known they could not be promoted but that is hard on the B lads to be relegated by the first teams failure. Was disappointed to see Villareal go down myself. I have enjoyed watching them play over the last number of years as they usually play good football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Real Madrid won the double that year (beating Castilla 6-1 in the cup final) so Castilla played in the cup winners cup, surely a unique event. They lost to west ham after extra time in second leg of their first tie, behind closed doors if i remember correctly. They are currently looking good for a return to the 2nd after winning 0-3 in Cadiz in the play-off first leg.

ANother weird thing is that some B teams can play-off for promotion even though the A team is in the division ahead of them. for exaple at the moment Albacete B are in play-offs to go up to 2b while ALbacete A are in play offs to go up from 2b to 2a. Bit of a joke if Alba B win through and the A team don't, i presume the team beaten by ALba B would go up instead.

Mini-Clasico could be interesting next season! I never knew Castilla had played in Europe, surely you'd think the Spanish federation would have sent another team instead, like the losing semi-finalist with the best record in the cup or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,860 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Thats inspirational stuff!
    I might try it with a team where i can recreate what happened with Villarreal. Malaga might be a runner for the drop/promotion! Another CM03/04 marathon on the cards!

• Advertisement
Advertisement