Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sheep Conference

• 23-05-2012 7:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭

Anyone at it, what did you think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Arrow in the Knee

I wasn't there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

I wasn't there

Not much interest in sheep on boards...British farming forum much better for sheep farmers if they'd let us register.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

rancher wrote: »
    Not much interest in sheep on boards...British farming forum much better for sheep farmers if they'd let us register.

Hi Rancher,
    Yep - lots of good info + discussions on sheep on the BFF. Takes a while to register all right tho :(

Re Sheep conference - what was this?
    I thought it wasn't on til end of June in Athenry? Or am I getting different events all mixed up?

Hi Rancher,
    Yep - lots of good info + discussions on sheep on the BFF. Takes a while to register all right tho :(

Re Sheep conference - what was this?
    I thought it wasn't on til end of June in Athenry? Or am I getting different events all mixed up?

Irish grassland association held it on Tues, conference in the morning followed by farm walk in the afternoon, report on page 24 on todays journal, nearly 200 attended, 50 euro for conference including lunch and bus out to farm, twas good

Irish grassland association held it on Tues, conference in the morning followed by farm walk in the afternoon, report on page 24 on todays journal, nearly 200 attended, 50 euro for conference including lunch and bus out to farm, twas good

Oh - was that the crowd in the journal there a while back, that operate a no housing system, sheep on grass all year round (I think they called it a Knockbeg system?) :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭razor8

twas very good and i got sponsored to go which was even better, my ag consultant gave me a freebie

was impressed with the host farmer set up and the many discussions

anyone else at it?

was actually trying to register lately, my username and password are now accepted but cant post anything. i keep getting the following message and when i email i get no reply, any suggestions?????????

you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
    1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
    2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

razor8 wrote: »
    twas very good and i got sponsored to go which was even better, my ag consultant gave me a freebie

anyone else at it?

Doesn't seem to have been many boardsies at it, was hoping to get some feedback on it as the farm walk was on my place. There will be a report on the farm walk on next weeks farming indo and journal

PS suppose this means I'll have to behave on boards or change my name

was actually trying to register lately, my username and password are now accepted but cant post anything. i keep getting the following message and when i email i get no reply, any suggestions?????????

you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
    1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
    2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
    Getting the same response myself, sounds like an irish joke... they invite you to register, then when you log on and go to post you get that response....but wait..they ask you to email if you have a problem...fair enough...but then they ignore your emails.....what I want to know is why do they invite you to register when they haven't a notion of letting you on. Maybe Johngalway ( whose one of the chosen ones) might do some lobbying on our behalf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Can't promise any movement but who ever can't get on, send me usernames and I'll see what I can do, can't remember if they want email or not.

• Advertisement

johngalway wrote: »
    Can't promise any movement but who ever can't get on, send me usernames and I'll see what I can do, can't remember if they want email or not.

Username rancher is registered only a short time but ''vendee'' is on for months and can't post, and now razor8, but he'll tell you what name he's reg under, so there is a problem,

anyone else at it?

I think my farming system really showed that you could achieve a good gross margin without reseeding and high stocking rates, keeping costs low is the important thing now.
    I can see John Fagan being a venue for a future sheep conference when he gets to 1700 ewes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

Doesn't seem to have been many boardsies at it, was hoping to get some feedback on it as the farm walk was on my place. There will be a report on the farm walk on next weeks farming indo and journal

PS suppose this means I'll have to behave on boards or change my name

small world ... we have at least one if not two of your rams here, ....like myself pushing on in years,:( but still active :D:D

snowman707 wrote: »
    small world ... we have at least one if not two of your rams here, ....like myself pushing on in years,:( but still active :D:D
    Yep... hoping to wind it down in the next couple years, hope the land price keeps up!!!
    Were you at the conference
    Just read your post properly, I thought you were saying I was pushing on in years like yourself, hence my response, now I see you were referring to your rams....I think

Ok guys, I was on my phone until today so I did not have PM facility available to me, back on laptop now though.

This morning I sent a PM to three mods on BFF with rancher, vendee and another username I got by PM on here. I've heard nothing from razor8 so I didn't know what name to send in that case but did mention there was a fourth person I'd get back tot hem about.

I think it's "Blue" who does the approving, he and two mods got my PM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

Yep... hoping to wind it down in the next couple years, hope the land price keeps up!!!
    Were you at the conference
    Just read your post properly, I thought you were saying I was pushing on in years like yourself, hence my response, now I see you were referring to your rams....I think

yep the rams are pushing on in years, ...plenty of mileage left in yourself yet

no I wasn't at the conference, looking forward to next week's journal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Arrow in the Knee

Rancher why do you think the Vendeen have not made much or any in roads into the Uk sheep industry?

Rancher why do you think the Vendeen have not made much or any in roads into the Uk sheep industry?

I don't know and its not simple to sell them here either, I changed to them many years ago after having a bad experience with another continental breed in bad weather, and was looking for a continental breed thats born with wool. We don't sell many rams, maybe 10 or 12 so its really only a hobby, and they are very easy lambed so we'll keep using them

johngalway wrote: »
    Ok guys, I was on my phone until today so I did not have PM facility available to me, back on laptop now though.

This morning I sent a PM to three mods on BFF with rancher, vendee and another username I got by PM on here. I've heard nothing from razor8 so I didn't know what name to send in that case but did mention there was a fourth person I'd get back tot hem about.

I think it's "Blue" who does the approving, he and two mods got my PM.

sorry johngalway was away from puter enjoying the weather, my username is reazor8 same as here, thanks

I think my farming system really showed that you could achieve a good gross margin without reseeding and high stocking rates, keeping costs low is the important thing now.
    I can see John Fagan being a venue for a future sheep conference when he gets to 1700 ewes

i certainly agree that you dont need reseeding to achieve good sheep thrive. im a low input system as well but i dont stock quite as high as yourselves but ye really look to have the land to achieve it. it wouldnt be possible on my land to graze in small paddocks over winter unless they liked lying in water!

ps I'm a huge fan of the mule just like Mr Fagan. Have you ever tried them?

I'm the guy who asked you about the recording software at the end of your farmwalk

• Advertisement

I don't know and its not simple to sell them here either, I changed to them many years ago after having a bad experience with another continental breed in bad weather, and was looking for a continental breed thats born with wool. We don't sell many rams, maybe 10 or 12 so its really only a hobby, and they are very easy lambed so we'll keep using them

Hi rancher,

Bit off topic - but how do Vendeen fair in comparison to Suffolks?

We have always had Suffolks, so that's where my experience is - I want to move to something that's more easily lambed, but would still like to keep the same growth traits as the Suffolks though.

I cant remember if you lamb inside or outside, I thought it was inside - which make me wonder about the other continental breed you mentioned and their lack of wool, and would I have the same issue... (I lamb inside by the way)

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Cran

Hi Rancher

Is there any docs anywhere that can be downloaded that outline what was presented at the conference on your set-up and how it works and results etc? was hoping to go but just couldn't make..... next time

Hi rancher,

Bit off topic - but how do Vendeen fair in comparison to Suffolks?

We have always had Suffolks, so that's where my experience is - I want to move to something that's more easily lambed, but would still like to keep the same growth traits as the Suffolks though.

I cant remember if you lamb inside or outside, I thought it was inside - which make me wonder about the other continental breed you mentioned and their lack of wool, and would I have the same issue... (I lamb inside by the way)

Thanks.

Don't think any breed grows as quick as a suffolk, there's no breed that has everything, we lamb inside but they have to be out in24 to 36 hours and so they have to be hardy with good wool, I'd say it wouldn't be as much of an issue with any breed if you could keep them in for 5 or 6 days, after that if they have enough milk they'd withstand anything
    Razor, we have never used mules...want to keep a closed flock
    Recording software we use is Select Sheepware from TGM software, think they're giving sheep register free at the moment so you can try it by getting that

Cran wrote: »
    Hi Rancher

Is there any docs anywhere that can be downloaded that outline what was presented at the conference on your set-up and how it works and results etc? was hoping to go but just couldn't make..... next time
    They tell me that its going on this weeks farming indo and journal about the farm walk, also Irish Grassland Association website has information on it

Don't think any breed grows as quick as a suffolk, there's no breed that has everything, we lamb inside but they have to be out in24 to 36 hours and so they have to be hardy with good wool, I'd say it wouldn't be as much of an issue with any breed if you could keep them in for 5 or 6 days, after that if they have enough milk they'd withstand anything
    Razor, we have never used mules...want to keep a closed flock
    Recording software we use is Select Sheepware from TGM software, think they're giving sheep register free at the moment so you can try it by getting that

i tried the trial version but got very frustrated with it

sorry johngalway was away from puter enjoying the weather, my username is reazor8 same as here, thanks

Done, got a reply from one of the mods that he'll mention it in the mods section (it would be an admin job to approve people, not mod job). Asked him to pass on your name razor8 to Blue as well. If I hear more I'll let ye know.

appreciated johngalway!

Advertisement