Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unhappy cat or unwell?

• 23-05-2012 9:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭

We have an 8 month old Bengal kitten, normally quite content and happy but has been a little out of sorts over the last few days. Very vocal and jumpy - now I know this could just be his age

We had an accident this morning, he urinated on the floor rather than his litter tray - this has happened once or twice before when the door was closed, but ths morning he had access to it and still didnt use it.

So I'm wondering if its a case that he's unhappy and trying to show us, or is he unwell? He did drink a large amount of water about 10 minutes before this and his litter tray was full of urine - which means he is peeing a lot, but as I said its very unusual for him to do this when he has access to his tray. As before, we this happens, he's quite stresssed afterwards - we don't shout or make him feel like its wrong as I genuinely feel he's not doing it on purpose, but maybe I'm wrong.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

Vet visit I'm afraid. First thing that needs to be checked is a urinary infection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭PCros

Can I ask if the Bengal is kept indoors or is allowed out your back etc?

Bengals are notorious for being extremely active and require lots of hunting space and enjoy climbing trees etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

He's an indoor cat but has the entire garage space to himself - equipped to the last! Climbing tree into the open rafters, toys, 2 beds, hammock etc He gets out on a lead, but is not really street smart to be allowed out alone

He's normally really happy - going to see how he is later and if needed will pay a visit to the vet on friday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭PCros

Cool. Maybe he’s just out of sorts temporarily

This happens mine when he sees other cats - he gets territorial for a few days and may have an accident (on purpose) on floor.

If he does it again on the floor in same spot - move your litter try to that exact spot and he should go in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Sounds like cystitis to me. Should be checked over at the vet in case it's an indicator of a longer-term urinary tract problem.

What do you feed him?

• Advertisement
Advertisement