Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips on cementing the gable end 'slate end'

• 23-05-2012 10:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭

Hi Folks

Just wondering if anyone would have any tips on a job I need to do to the house. I'd consider myself able to do this but wondering if I need to know anything beforehand.

Where the slates end on the gable end of the house the flashing cement bit is starting to decay and fall away. I'd like to re-cement this myself. I'm sure its quite straight-forward . Any tips from builders here??

Thanks in advance;)

Rich

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭jaspertheghost

take off any loose bits and refill....is it painted? use a 3/1 mix of sand and cement...is there a metal bead there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭richiek67

Hi, Yes, I'll have to remove the old bits ok. Metal bead, ...hmmm, dont think so. What if there is? and would that be 3 sand 1 cement? I'd say so...?

Tks Rich

richiek67 wrote: »
    Hi, Yes, I'll have to remove the old bits ok. Metal bead, ...hmmm, dont think so. What if there is? and would that be 3 sand 1 cement? I'd say so...?

Tks Rich
    yep 3 sand to 1 cement, get a bit of waterproofer in the mix to,you should be able to see the metal bead if its there,if it is just be careful not to damage it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭richiek67

O, tks a lot. Forgive my ignorance but woulld I get waterprofer in the same place as the sand and cement? Is it a powder or what?
    Tks a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 32 power123

Evoplast.jpg
    here a pic of what your looking for:D
    add to water your using when mixing sand &cement:D
    any builder providers will have it

• Advertisement

Be careful wit the amount of waterproofer you put in...you only need about 3-5 capfulls per full mix...you might be able to get some for free if they have any daaged bottles around

Is it painted?

Advertisement