Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dirty thieves

• 23-05-2012 10:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭

Heard from the priest of Lady Of Lourdes church near Weston that 3,000 litres of heating oil was stolen from the church tank the other day. Is no secret as he has and/or will be mentioning it in the talky bit of his mass services.

Now I am no fan of the organisation behind that particular religion, but what a bunch of scummy scrotes to go nicking that volume of fuel. No doubt they will be trying to flog it off.

Not sure if any of the local papers or radio stations are running the story, but as a few of them do read this forum, maybe you should give the story some publicity and make it difficult for the scumbags to sell off the oil or it might see some fuel company donate some oil to replace the stolen stuff. Totally ignoring the man's faith for a moment, because a person's faith is their own busines as long as they don't force it unto others, but he is a really hard worker in that community and he gets by on a pretty low budget every month so that kind of theft (one of many thefts and attempted break ins that the man can speak of) would be financially crippling in it's own way.

Would have brought this up yesterday but I was too busy having a little temper tantrum on here over something else.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

I'm no fan of the organisation myself, and stealing in general is scummy, but stealing such a huge amount from a self-funding organisation is extra-scummy. Here's hoping the thieves are caught.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Of course they will manage to sell it. Ask no questions, and I'll tell you no anwers, and all that kind of stuff.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

Bit stupid leaving 3000 litres in the tank though, especially in May when consumption would be low for the next few months.

Anyway the smart thieves apparently go around taking ~20 litres at a time from back gardens so nobody every misses it and hence never thinks to beef up security.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Of course the Catholic Church are absolute filth on so many levels and for so many reasons - But take Kess's word for it that this guy is one of the decent ones & hope he gets a break......

- For homeowners generally it seems the only way to have any peace of mind is to only get the minimum delivery of oil each time, not ideal but minimises your losses at least :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Have to agree with rainbowdash, very silly ordering that amount of oil. In my parish we had a lot of oil being taken, so now we just advise people to order only e200 at a time. Don't think there is any hope of him getting the oil back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

Raiser wrote: »
    Of course the Catholic Church are absolute filth on so many levels and for so many reasons - But take Kess's word for it that this guy is one of the decent ones & hope he gets a break......

- For homeowners generally it seems the only way to have any peace of mind is to only get the minimum delivery of oil each time, not ideal but minimises your losses at least :(

frame that one raiser:

Scr000010.jpg

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

He is one of the few that spoke out strongly and early against many of the wrongs done by that organisation. My respect for the man has nothing to do with the faith he follows though, it comes from having seen a lot of the non church work he gets involved in.

As for the amount that was in the tank at the time, my thinking would be that it got filled once a year and it would be used to heat the church as well as the priest's house.

If I heard of a non priest having their oil stolen I would still regard the people who stole the oil as scumbags whether they had stolen 3000 litres of oil or 300 lites.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

You'd also get quite a different rate ordering small amounts of fuel. I'm sure they were just trying to get the best value.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,762 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

€3,000 litres?! Fook me they're gonna make a pretty penny off that hence encouraging them to do it again.

How would they have even transported the oil out of there? Would they have needed a mini tanker for that amount of oil?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

€3,000 litres?! Fook me they're gonna make a pretty penny off that hence encouraging them to do it again.

How would they have even transported the oil out of there? Would they have needed a mini tanker for that amount of oil?

Thats unit abuse Tax Dave - Though ye are probably more interested in the colour ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,762 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

Thats unit abuse Tax Dave - Though ye are probably more interested in the colour ;)

Yea good man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Hes a lovely man, and he gets an awful lot of flack above there, which he really doesn't deserve! Damn scum if you ask me.

Advertisement