Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

kerosene vs bottles of gas

Options
  • 23-05-2012 11:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,675 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I am not asking for anything too precise but is the price (I mean value) of bottled butane (the large ones about 10kg in weight) more or less comparable to the price of kerosene (it is sold on forecourts in 20 litre plastic containers) ?

I mean the butane bottles are selling for quite a bit more than the kerosene(say €30 as opposed to €22) but which is better value (disregarding safety or convenience and just concentrating on the amount of heat or usage per euro spent) ?

Is there much in it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Some petrol stations also sell kerosene at the pump, this means that once you have purchased the container the first time you can refill it for less.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Kerosene prices vary massively around the country and depending on how much you buy.
    I live in the North so the prices are in sterling but this will give you an idea of variations:

200L in Newry 62p/L
    200L in Coleraine 75p/L
    500L in Coleraine 67p/L
    At the pump in Coleraine 64p/L
    At the Pump in The Moy (Armagh/Tyrone) 59p/L

• Registered Users Posts: 3,675 ✭✭✭amandstu

thanks
    what I am trying to get at though is whether is is cheaper to use kerosene (or diesel) for home heating oil (rather than some kind of gas)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

According to the University of Alaska-Fairbanks, kerosene is a more potent fuel source, providing 135,000 BTU in a gallon of fuel. Propane, on the other hand, produces only 91,800 BTU per gallon. Butane gets 103,000 BTU/gallon.

Gallon of Kero = EUR 4.08
    Gallon of Propane = EUR 3.00
    Gallon of Butane = EUR 2.50

Using this very rough figures:
    Kerosene = 33 088/euro
    Propane = 30 600/euro
    Butane = 41,200/euro

Get the local price for each fuel and use those figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,675 ✭✭✭amandstu

thanks .That is what I was trying to work out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement