Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPS Accuracy

• 23-05-2012 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭

Does anyone know how accurate the GPS tracking on a mobile phone is. I run the same 5km route when i go for a run. The only difference would be where i cross the road on various stages on my run (waiting on a break in traffic and so on) I was checking my previous runs on Endomondo.com and i have noticed that 3 of my runs are logged at 5.01 km, 2 at 5.02 km. 2 at 5.03 km and 1 at 5.09 km. I dont run near any built up areas. Its not a major issue but i found it strange.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

GPS accuracy on mobile phones can be shockingly bad. One guy who ran the Limerick 6 mile race at the start of May had his mobile app reporting 11.5 km when the accurate distance would have been about 9.5 km.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

martyeds wrote: »
    Does anyone know how accurate the GPS tracking on a mobile phone is. I run the same 5km route when i go for a run. The only difference would be where i cross the road on various stages on my run (waiting on a break in traffic and so on) I was checking my previous runs on Endomondo.com and i have noticed that 3 of my runs are logged at 5.01 km, 2 at 5.02 km. 2 at 5.03 km and 1 at 5.09 km. I dont run near any built up areas. Its not a major issue but i found it strange.

The difference between 5.01km and 5.09km is only 80 metres.
    Its 1.6% of 5km. It's not unexpected with GPS, but I have no idea how good
    the GPS receiver / firmware is on Endomondo.

Can you check what the accuracy is before setting off. With a Garmin watch, you can check this and when you switch it on and it locks first the accuracy might be 20m, but will reduce to <10m quite quickly. The results will be much more accurate if you wait until the accuracy has improved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭rom

Using phone (the newest of a popular fruit brand) with runkeeper. http://runkeeper.com/user/figgy/activity/80091113 Zoom in around mile 9 mark.

They are all going to be using the same API so you will get the same results or very similar if it has a little big of smarts built in from each app but runkeeper you would think would be one of the better ones but it is reliant on what data the iphone gives it.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/165592159
    Running on his elbow with a Garmin 305.

Number 1 reason why not to use a phone

Then look at this. He wasn't having a fit but running in a straight line as I was running with him in the UCC farm. Open field (don't think you get somewhere more open)

http://runkeeper.com/user/figgy/activity/84372195

look at the start. also from curraheen road for the until the right bend its a straight path. http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/ and a stop watch is more accurate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

What you need to make sure of before using a phone to record your run is:

1. Make sure you are not running many or any other apps at the same time. (I always reboot mine before running)
    2. Make sure it has the most uptodate GPS data available ( I run an app called GPS Status before every run.)
    3. Some phones work better facing up, some face down. (See what works for yours)

Since i started doing this i can confirmed the accuracy of the gps numerous times with fellow runners using Garmins.

What you need to make sure of before using a phone to record your run is:

1. Make sure you are not running many or any other apps at the same time. (I always reboot mine before running)
    2. Make sure it has the most uptodate GPS data available ( I run an app called GPS Status before every run.)
    3. Some phones work better facing up, some face down. (See what works for yours)

Since i started doing this i can confirmed the accuracy of the gps numerous times with fellow runners using Garmins.

Might work for you but you shouldn't have to do any of those steps. There is a problem and as a smart phone user I find them only a beginners tool. I would love to have not bought a garmin but I need to get data when I am running. I can't look at an iphone screen on my shoulder. Audio prompts are not enough. Its too big. you can't do manual laps with an application i know so you can do any interval training. I would love not to spend more money but a smart phone is and until they sort these issues out the wrong tool for the job.

• Advertisement

rom wrote: »
    Might work for you but you shouldn't have to do any of those steps. There is a problem and as a smart phone user I find them only a beginners tool. I would love to have not bought a garmin but I need to get data when I am running. I can't look at an iphone screen on my shoulder. Audio prompts are not enough. Its too big. you can't do manual laps with an application i know so you can do any interval training. I would love not to spend more money but a smart phone is and until they sort these issues out the wrong tool for the job.

I disagree. My phone is on my arm at all time, i hear the audio prompts clearly telling me time, pace and distance and heart rate if i use a monitor with it.(Why would i need to look at the screen)

I can set it to do intervals. Runkeeper comes with preset intervals are allows you to program your own based on distance or time.

On long runs, it is great to have the distraction of listening to podcasts (Without having to carry an ipod)

Lastly, i always have my phone with me if i have a problem or if work need to call me.

The Garmin only has to do one thing.

I disagree. My phone is on my arm at all time, i hear the audio prompts clearly telling me time, pace and distance and heart rate if i use a monitor with it.(Why would i need to look at the screen)

I can set it to do intervals. Runkeeper comes with preset intervals are allows you to program your own based on distance or time.

On long runs, it is great to have the distraction of listening to podcasts (Without having to carry an ipod)

Lastly, i always have my phone with me if i have a problem or if work need to call me.

The Garmin only has to do one thing.
    So can you do say
    2 Miles warmup
    1K repeats with say 2 min recovery and say after the 2nd one you decided that you want to take another min recovery without having to set up anything on the phone prior to run other than pressing start and then lap for the end of each interval or recovery ?

benefit of two devices is that you can be sure that its charged before you use it.

BTW why don't elite runners use smart phones instead of watches ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

I think the moral of the story is if you want the best GPS accuracy possible then get a proper GPS watch. GPS on phones tend to be quite flakey imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭geld

I can't speak for GPS accuracy on phones but I'm not convinced that it is accurate all the time on Garmin's either. I have had a few races recently where the line is a bit off from the race route.

GPS is never fully accurate. Unless you have a military model (Illegal to have)

GPS for civilian is always reduced in accuracy to about 6 metres .

• Advertisement
Advertisement