Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick letterboxing problem question?Thanks

• 23-05-2012 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi All,
    Would really appreciate if you could help a complete amateur. I need to remove the black bars on either side of the below video. I have set the properties in Sony Vegas to match the media and it gives me 640x480 and I have 4:3 ratio set. It seems if I change the ratio the picture is distorted after rendering. On the above settings the preview screen on Sony Vegas shows no letterboxing.

7254873956_59c79ec47d_b.jpg screenshot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYjsJ5fu8H0
    Any help much appreciated,
    Rosie

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Well Youtube displays in 16:9 so if your media is shot at 4:3 then there's no way around pillar-boxing (unless you want to zoom in and thus lose some of the footage)

I'm not familiar with Sony Vegas but I'd imagine it's viewing window is matching your footage and is 4:3.

Incidentally your screenshot link isn't working so I can't view it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

It looks like the footage was shot in 4:3 OP, which means the only way of losing the black bars is to zoom in.

But (like AnonoBoy said) you will lose some of the picture and some of the quality. I've done it before myself with 4:3 footage in Vegas, but it was only for a few quick shots amongst a load of 16:9 footage, so I got away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 daisylady

Thanks for the replies.
    I presume if I were to burn to DVD side bars would still be there?. So is the lesson here always make sure your camera setting when filming is at 16:9?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Was the original footage shot in 4:3, where did it come from? I would have thought the default is 16:9 I've never even seen a setting for changing it to 4:3 on a camera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

ScumLord wrote: »
    Was the original footage shot in 4:3, where did it come from? I would have thought the default is 16:9 I've never even seen a setting for changing it to 4:3 on a camera.

Older cameras would definitely have an option to change from 4:3 to 16:9 and back.

I don't think a camera will shoot HD in 4:3 but older ones like the Sony Z1 I'm pretty sure would should SD in 4:3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

Could have also been an older NTSC cam; a lot of them default to 4:3.

Advertisement