Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballincollig Town Centre

Options
  • 23-05-2012 11:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭

I wonder will this news help to start filling some of the vacant houses and units in Ballincollig Town Centre

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0523/nam...r-4-years.html

I always think it's a shame to see the area between the Barracks and the Shopping Centre completely empty. There are plazas and cobbled streets that would look great if occupied.

From what I hear there is still a huge demand for good reasonably priced rental property in Cork. Meanwhile there are hundreds vacant.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

linky no worky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

• Registered Users Posts: 31 corkalien

The thing about the town centre and the empty streets is the massive amount of units O'Flynns put in. Saying that, if they got two or three big names in there the smaller units would be snapped up with the increased footfall.

As for the housing, the old quarter will eventually sell the surplus - which will be helped by the new nama loans and reduction in prices. Same with the other estates. The apartments around the town centre look like a different matter - there looks to be way too many of them and no-one want to buy an apartment any more, for renting or living in.

All in all though, it's going to take a few years before any of this happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭BarneyMagee

Can't see how that Nama proposal would help the Town Centre.
    It is largely complete and does not require any significant investment.
    I think the €2 billion fund is to complete half-finished estates and develop valuable green field sites.

I do agree that the those narrow cobbled streets will look great when they are occupied. I think that area will fill up rapidly once there is any bit of an upturn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭dardhal

corkalien wrote: »
    The apartments around the town centre look like a different matter - there looks to be way too many of them and no-one want to buy an apartment any more, for renting or living in.

My opinion may not be the most common one, after all, I am not planning at the moment to stay in Ireland for life, but those apartments around the shopping center are perfectly fine for lots of people, specially those who don't want to live in (semi)detached houses for different reasons (acquisition and running costs among them).

Those apartments have also a lot of sense for people studying at the CIT, which is a very short commute from downtown Ballincollig, as they are for many people working for EMC/VMware and the likes, with headquartes in or close to the town center.

To me, the only thing that prevents those apartments from being filled with people is debt-laden builders and the likes, not willing to take the prices down or put the finished dwellings in the market, as they fear (and they are right) that would drive all prices in the area down. So instead of having just 32 properties advertised in daft at the moment, there could be a couple hundred of them, making price competition affect their bottom line. After all, they are either broke (and they don't care about money) or the dwellings have been "transferred" to NAMA and then it is nobody's problem (but the taxpayers', of course).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭SouthernBelle

O'Flynn's currently have a planning application for 7 new retail units in the shopping centre. Search under planning number 124775 on the following page http://maps.corkcoco.ie/planningenquiryv3/MainFrames.aspx. (I tried to link the actual application, but it wouldn't work).

I'd rather see the current empty units filled (another closed this week) before they go adding onto it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

What the heck? That is pure crazy. There are stacks of empty ones there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Czaribald

This link does not work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭SouthernBelle

Czaribald wrote: »
    This link does not work

The link brings you to the planning enquiry page of Cork County Council. As I said in my previous post, just insert the number 124775 and it will open the correct page, which for some reason won't link properly for me. FYI this is the wording taken from the application:

Construction of two storey extension to shopping centre to include 7 no. retail units and all ancillary staff facilties and storage areas, partial removal of existing surface car park and construction of 78 no. space surface car park, construction of two storey office building with 6 no. units and attached 3 level multi storey carpark and all ancillary site development works to include pedestrian facilities, landscaping, fencing, ESB substations, signage and modifications to 2 no. permitted vehicular entrances and 2 no. existing entrances, extension of duration of permission granted under Planning Reg. No. 06/13556

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

The prices being quoted on Daft for the Old Quarter houses are crazy, that is totally putting people off even looking at them. Are they all Nama-ised? Or is it that Michael O Flynn is one of the NAMA poster boys so they won't put pressure on him to start selling and come up with some cash?

Advertisement