Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vapour control in flat roof

• 23-05-2012 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi all
    I'm insulating an existing flat roof, taking the ceiling down, putting in 100mm fibreglass(7" joists, so 70mm gap left for ventilation), then using 50mm insulated plasterboard to slab ceiling. I was advised to use 500gauge polythene tacked to underside of joists, to act as vapour control, to stop insulation getting damp. But then was advised by someone else to use majpell vapour control, as it allows air through but not humidity. the majpell stuff is over 200 euro though so not sure what to do...
    any advice appreciated,

shay

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Shay, IMO the ordinary VB taped & sealed will do. BUT this vapour control layer should really be inside any insulation.. It's all about avoiding a 'due point' ( condensation forming) within the insulation & structural zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 shayd

thanks bryan, got a recommendation for some breathable felt that's not too expensive. going to go with that

So tell us your build up from roof covering to plasterboard?

Roof build-up as follows : torch-on felt,
    plywood,
    170mm joists so leaving 50mm gap for ventilation,
    rafterloc 100mm, or maybe 2 x 60mm, depending on price,
    breathable felt vapour barrier,
    37.5mm insulated plasterboard.

An alternative to the rafterloc would be isover moy metac glass wool insulation, but would need 150mm to get a similar u value to the rafterloc, leaving only 20mm for ventilation. The extra cost of the rafterloc is probably worth it, in the long run.

I have another flat roof to insulate, but it only has 4" joists, and ceiling height doesn't allow for much thickness of insulated plasterboard, so getting advice next week about external insulation, or even replacing it, depending on relative costs.

shay

Felt goes on the outside, vapour control layer on the inside of a roof build-up. They are two different things.

• Advertisement

ok, thanks for the tip

• Registered Users Posts: 31 jimmytom

Hi All,

I have recently a flat roof constructed as part of new build, however i am not sure as to whether a vapour control layer has been installed under the insulation, most likely not. Can i do anything to ensure there is no future problems with condensation etc. I have yet to slab under the roof joists. Also would the introduction of insulation between the roof joists as well as the insulation which has already been installed above the roof deck cause any issue?

Any info much appreciated.

Regards

Jimmytom

Advertisement