Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Re-occurring dreams.

• 23-05-2012 11:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Everyone has re-occurring dreams. The main one I have had as an adult is coming upon an accident or a fire and for some reason I keep misdialling 999, how fecking hard is that, very annoying dream. oh I've also had the one where all your teeth fall out as well, which apparently means all your worried about something.

So AH what are your reoccurring dreams?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Nah, I don't have recurring dreams - never have - they're always different.

Been some crazy ass dreams throughout this pregnancy though.
    Weird stuff, that Aphex Twin couldn't match if they tried!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

i get recurring dreams alot... i dreamt about my friend's brother getting killed off his bike... i had the same dream over n over for about 6 weeks... then his brother was killed off his motorbike. scared the sh1t out of me.

i also had a recurring dream about my friend's (the same friend who lost his brother) bicycle getting knicked... and sure enough if got knicked a few weeks later.

lately ive been getting the recurring dream about a big lotto win... ive been doing the lotto every few days since... here's hoping ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Teeth brittle / falling out despite my best efforts to preserve them dream .

About 2 / 3 times a year. Horrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

I have a reoccurring dream where I piss myself, then I wake up and I've wet the bed, don't ever let anybody tell you dreams can't come true, just believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

I've never had reoccurring dreams.

I'd love to have lucid dreams with continuity though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Whenever I experience stress, especially at work, I always have a variation on the Leaving Cert and the stress/pressure that was experienced then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

My dreams are so off the wall to be re-occurring .... Alfred Hitchcock and the board of Psychiatrists would have a field day with my dreams .

Sky King wrote: »

oh ive had that dream many times too

aparently it symbolises a feeling of loss of control in your life

http://www.realmeaningofdreams.com/teeth-dreams.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

foxyboxer wrote: »
    Whenever I experience stress, especially at work, I always have a variation on the Leaving Cert and the stress/pressure that was experienced then.

Same as meself, always seems to be either my Leaving Cert or finals in College and the jist of the dream is that they are about to start and I've not studied at all for them!

Prefer the dreams where I end up blowing off all over the bedsheets if I'm being honest :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

oh ive had that dream many times too

aparently it symbolises a feeling of loss of control in your life

http://www.realmeaningofdreams.com/teeth-dreams.html

A very common dream, I have it a few times a year and when talking to the lads in college a few of them had had it too.

Oh also had one over the last few weeks where my college called me and told me I had to go back in and sit more exams, that was a horrible one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    Everyone has re-occurring dreams. The main one I have had as an adult is coming upon an accident or a fire and for some reason I keep misdialling 999, how fecking hard is that, very annoying dream. oh I've also had the one where all your teeth fall out as well, which apparently means all your worried about something.

So AH what are your reoccurring dreams?

you should save the number in your phone

I have a reoccurring dream where I piss myself, then I wake up and I've wet the bed, don't ever let anybody tell you dreams can't come true, just believe.

you can buy adult nappies in Fun Place beside st stephen's green shopping centre on king st south dublin 2.

Everyone has re-occurring dreams. The main one I have had as an adult is coming upon an accident or a fire and for some reason I keep misdialling 999, how fecking hard is that, very annoying dream.
    You could learn to lucid dream to avoid having these dreams in the future.
    oh I've also had the one where all your teeth fall out as well, which apparently means all your worried about something.
    Don't believe that hippy ****, most dreams have no relevance to your emotions and there's certainly no standardised method for determining what they might mean (if anything).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

i haven't had reoccurring dreams since i was a child but i always used to dream i could fly and maybe once a month i would have those dreams where you wake up in your dream but you're still dreaming.

inception shit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Seldom remember my dreams but I've had the teeth falling out one a few times.

http://xkcd.com/719/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I have a recurring dream about someone who died, used to be more frequent but now it's maybe few times a week. Actually have not dreamt about him this week but probably will tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

humbert wrote: »
    Seldom remember my dreams but I've had the teeth falling out one a few times.

http://xkcd.com/719/

the day i figured out the little hidden messages from hovering the mouse over the image was one of the best days of my life. i went through most of them again just to read them. great comics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Today I woke up after dreaming I was living in this huge hollywood style house owned by some rich guy and one night when there was no one home, this old beaten up car pulls up in the drive way with a scary looking man inside. I quickly run around and lock the doors, which there are many to this huge house and as I'm about to lock the last door, this guy comes upto it and says he's going to kill me and everyone who lives in this house. I somehow manage to lock the door with him still outside and then I try to find a safe place and think wtf am i gonna do?!!! As I'm going around the house to try and figure out a way to either fight or escape while the killer is trying to find a way into the house, I wake up...

It always happens that I'm in this super tense situation in a dream and then I wake up just when the action is about to begin or I'm about to be tortured and killed mecilessly!!

Today I woke up after dreaming I was living in this huge hollywood style house owned by some rich guy and one night when there was no one home, this old beaten up car pulls up in the drive way with a scary looking man inside. I quickly run around and lock the doors, which there are many to this huge house and as I'm about to lock the last door, this guy comes upto it and says he's going to kill me and everyone who lives in this house. I somehow manage to lock the door with him still outside and then I try to find a safe place and think wtf am i gonna do?!!! As I'm going around the house to try and figure out a way to either fight or escape while the killer is trying to find a way into the house, I wake up...

It always happens that I'm in this super tense situation in a dream and then I wake up just when the action is about to begin or I'm about to be tortured and killed mecilessly!!

maybe you are that killer... the homicidal maniac inside you is screaming to get out... best go find a nuthouse to sign yourself into.

http://pandyland.net/comics/2011-05-15-dream-a-little-dream-of-pee.png

Although I always get these kind of dreams before and/or during my exams:
    http://xkcd.com/557/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭some random drunk

I've had a few re-ocurring nightmares recently:

• I've got to re-sit my Leaving Cert for some reason. Also I've gotten no notice for this and I haven't studied, so I'm just sitting there in the exam hall panicking.
    • That there's a dead Japanese girl in my room looking at me while I sleep. She looks pretty much like the girl from The Ring. Sometimes she'll say stuff to me in a really creepy voice, like "Look at me! Look into my eyes!"
    • That I'm having sex with a gorgeous girl. We finish up, and I go to the bathroom. I come back into the bedroom and my sister is lying on the bed naked instead of the girl. She says something to me like "That was the best ride I've had in ages, let's do it again." :eek:
    I've come to the conclusion that my brain hates me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

I get the teeth one as well. I think it's a sign that I should go to the dentist.

• That I'm having sex with a gorgeous girl. We finish up, and I go to the bathroom. I come back into the bedroom and my sister is lying on the bed naked instead of the girl. She says something to me like "That was the best ride I've had in ages, let's do it again." :eek:

your sister must have discovered rohypnol then ;)

Funglegunk wrote: »
    I get the teeth one as well. I think it's a sign that I should go to the dentist.

I had the teeth one a few days/weeks ago too.. Dreamt all my teeth had fallen out and I had to go to the dentist to get replacement...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

Ive had a good few dreams about fish tanks with goldfish. Also many about zombies.

• I've got to re-sit my Leaving Cert for some reason. Also I've gotten no notice for this and I haven't studied, so I'm just sitting there in the exam hall panicking.
    • That there's a dead Japanese girl in my room looking at me while I sleep. She looks pretty much like the girl from The Ring. Sometimes she'll say stuff to me in a really creepy voice, like "Look at me! Look into my eyes!"

That last one :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I have 2 reoccurring dreams, have for years.

The first is that I'm in Jurassic Park being attacked by the dinosaurs.

The other is that my sister has died, or gone missing. Sometimes she is killed in Jurassic Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Smeggy

I regularly dream that I'm late for work and there's a load of obstacles stopping me from getting there eg flat tyre, no work clothes

The funny thing is Im ALWAYS early for work!

.....yeah I need to get out more :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

They say a re-occurring dream about your teeth falling out or being broken is a sub-concious fear of losing friends.

Just saying:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

I used to have a couple of recurring dreams, the one thing they had in common was that I would be screaming but no sound would come out. Then when I started making a conscious effort to deal with my demons I had a dream that there was a child knocked down by a car, I was kneeling beside the child and the car kept slowly moving towards us. I was help to stretch out my arm and hold the car back :cool:

So yea I think recurring dreams do have a meaning, it's up to you to figure out what that is :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 cliffandclare

i have a few recurring dreams

i am very lonely and ringing all my friends wanting to hang out and i cant get to any of them, i can see them but they are not responding, this has been recurring since i was 20 about 8 ,9 times a year a horrible dream i wake very upset

in this dream i am hopelessly in love with a guy , never my husband, the guy changes in the dream though. it is a very very happy dream full of kissing, holding hands and if i am lucky hot hot sex this dream recurs maybe 6 times a year since i was about 16

this is my favourite, the flying dream where i soar above everything and wake up feeling fab, recur bout twice a year, not yet this year though

That last one :eek:

I know, it's pretty horrific alright. In another version I was getting it on with a hot brunette model. We were doing it doggy style and I was really enjoying it until she turned around, yelled "surprise!" and pulled off her wig, to reveal my (blonde) sister with a big grin on her face :o.
    I've had sex dreams with people I really don't want to have sex with for years. My school principal, the elderly school priest, my old boss at work, good friends...etc. I reckon I must hate myself subconsciously or something, so my brain creates these horrible scenarios.

Anyway......let's move on. Another re-ocurring theme in my dreams is the inability to turn on lights. Like I'll be in a dark, haunted house or something and be being chased by a ghost/murderer and I want to turn the lights on to help myself escape/frighten the ghost away. I press the lightswitches but they never work, or the lightbulbs have all blown. I think I read somewhere that it's next to impossible to alter the light level of your surroundings in a dream without waking up. Sounds hard to believe, but it's true at least in my dreams. Anyone experience this or heard anything about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Seachmall wrote: »
    Don't believe that hippy ****, most dreams have no relevance to your emotions and there's certainly no standardised method for determining what they might mean (if anything).
    But why can they recur? And why are there certain common dream types - like the teeth falling out/exams ones?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

I had a few re occurring dreams, one lasted 3 years and I had it every night, myself and a group of friends would go into a derelict building and I would find mutilated bodies in the rooms, the dream was in black n white. I was aged 4-7 and still remember it vividly.

I also have dreams and I can't dial 999 or drive my car, for some reason the car won't go the clutch keeps going funny.

Other dreams are where my teeth fall out or crumble, I also have flying dreams I am aware I'm in the dream and can change it. If I dream the same dream twice I know I'm dreaming and can change the dreams path if I want. I ve had a few erotic dreams and it's always with my husband..

My favourite dreams are when I'm dreaming that I'm in the army or I am an FBI agent. I could make films out of some of my dreams. I also die in my dreams, i die at least once a week, normally from a gun shot, Or die in a plane or car crash.

My worst dreams are when I dream my kids die... Don't like those ones....

After watching prime time one night I Drempt that my house was falling down from pyrite.

I've had supernatural dreams too, I've been that scared I've told myself to wake up and I do.

I can sometimes make myself dream a dream that I've had before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

won the lottery in a dream once - noting quite like the disappointment in the morning, ashamed to say I spent some time looking for the ticket before I fully woke up. SICK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

I know, it's pretty horrific alright. In another version I was getting it on with a hot brunette model. We were doing it doggy style and I was really enjoying it until she turned around, yelled "surprise!" and pulled off her wig, to reveal my (blonde) sister with a big grin on her face :o.
    I've had sex dreams with people I really don't want to have sex with for years. My school principal, the elderly school priest, my old boss at work, good friends...etc. I reckon I must hate myself subconsciously or something, so my brain creates these horrible scenarios.

Anyway......let's move on. Another re-ocurring theme in my dreams is the inability to turn on lights. Like I'll be in a dark, haunted house or something and be being chased by a ghost/murderer and I want to turn the lights on to help myself escape/frighten the ghost away. I press the lightswitches but they never work, or the lightbulbs have all blown. I think I read somewhere that it's next to impossible to alter the light level of your surroundings in a dream without waking up. Sounds hard to believe, but it's true at least in my dreams. Anyone experience this or heard anything about it?

You secretly fancy your sister :eek:

Never had the light switch thing, but then again I love the dark.

2 dreams which kept repeating....

I was being chased and my legs were as heavy as lead and i could not run. Always woke up before i was caught.

A repeat dream that I was able to fly. I absolutely loved the dream and used to get upset when i woke up and realised it was a dream.

Haven't dreamt these in a while but they are still vivid in my memory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I lie in bed for about an hour every morning just thinking about boobs and stuff if that counts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Shryke wrote: »
    I lie in bed for about an hour every morning just thinking about boobs and stuff if that counts.

I believe that's called fapping ;)

I believe that's called fapping ;)

Ah now, it's a kind of fugue state. I don't go pulling myself off. :p
    It's been a while since there has been a woman in there with me. I might be starting to suffer from some kind of horny delirium.

• Advertisement

Freud would have a field day if he was around to read ur posts!

Freud would have a field day if he was around to read ur posts!

I'd rather have Freud read them than my sister!

I'd rather have Freud read them than my sister!

Yeah never thought if that if I was your sister I'd be keeping well clear, doubt the parents would like it too much either, ya sexual deviant ya:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

Have one where I happen upon a fox curled up neath a bush in an idyllic country setting.

The fox has his back turned to me but seems to be agitated with something. I begin to notice a stench so I inspect further. The sounds of crunching bone come first before I notice the fox is devouring itself. It's rather graphic and I usually feel disgusted with myself when I awake for conjuring up such images.

What that mean then? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Have one where I happen upon a fox curled up neath a bush in an idyllic country setting.

The fox has his back turned to me but seems to be agitated with something. I begin to notice a stench so I inspect further. The sounds of crunching bone come first before I notice the fox is devouring itself. It's rather graphic and I usually feeling disgusted with myself when I awake for conjuring up such images.

What that mean then? :)

You hate the fact that you want to eat yourself ;)

Nature scares and confuses you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

You hate the fact that you want to eat yourself ;)

Lo'feckin'l....brilliant :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I have loads of recurring dreams. Some of them I've been having for a good 30 years now. Themes include:

- Flying. Though 'flapping' would be more accurate, I have to pump my arms really hard to get any height/velocity. Generally I don't move very fast, it's hard work for the most part.
    - Teeth. Endless teeth dreams. I have lost thousands and thousands of teeth in my sleep. Splintering teeth when you spend the whole night spitting them out are the worst.
    - Toilets. Think 'Trainspotting'. I have endless dreams about having to use the loo and the loo being overflowing and horrific and slipping it in, generally over and over again before I can get as far as the door and make it out. So, I basically dream about swimming in sh(t a lot.
    - Locations. Not real places, places that only exist in my head. I am dreaming and suddenly I realise I'm in a place I've been in before, and I know the layout etc, and I will remember what I was doing the last time I was there (in a dream) but still know it's not a real place. I have about 10 of these, some of them only pop up every 5 years ago.

I dream nearly ever night and almost always remember what I've dreamed, even if it only pops into my mind at 3pm making coffee. A lot of my dreams tend to be pretty prosaic, but some of them are completely mental. I love a good dream I do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

I usually dream about stuff that actually happened.

Like last Thursday I got a bus, which I regularly do. Last night I dreamt I was on a bus, with the same people, going to the same destination.

Another time I dreamt I was driving to Croke Park, the night before I actually did drive to Croke Park. But this one had a twist! ...In real life, I was a passenger in the car. Wow, slow down, subconscious.

Dudess wrote: »
    But why can they recur? And why are there certain common dream types - like the teeth falling out/exams ones?

No idea, although dreams progress based on your expectations of how they will progress*.

For example, if you find yourself walking down a dark alley after watching a horror film that dream will likely turn into a nightmare as you expect something bad to happen.

If you find yourself walking down a dark alley after watching Singin' In The Rain you'd be as likely to find yourself in a musical in the dream or something.

That's why, for example, in a dream the physical laws typically apply despite the fact your dreams aren't really limited by the physical laws. You don't know you're dreaming and so expect gravity to function accordingly. Of course any scenario where you'd expect those laws to stop applying would cause those laws to stop applying.

So in terms of repeating dreams, if you find yourself in a similar environment in your dream as in a dream you've had before you may expect it to play out the same and thus it does. That's why Lucid Dreaming has been shown to be beneficial in reoccurring nightmares**, it allows you to control your expectations of the dreams.

Same could be said for teeth falling out, you know that's a common dream and so it becomes a common dream (self-fulfilling prophecy).

* "So it constructs a world that shows us what we expect, fear, wish for, need and all that." - Stephen La Berge interview

** Lucid Dreaming and Nightmares (WIKI)

• Advertisement
Advertisement