Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphics card problem (I think)

Options
  • 23-05-2012 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭

I built a mid-range PC for a friend just under 8 months ago. Everything worked fine until about 2 weeks ago when he started telling me that whenever he launched a game, his monitor would go black and his sound disappeared but the PC didn't knock off. The games ranged from Skyrim to farm simulator :rolleyes: so the demand placed on the GPU varied a huge amount! His graphics card is an ATI 6850, can't remember the exact manufacturer.

Over the phone I thought it was a simple CPU problem that I could fix with thermal paste because that happened to me about 2 years ago on my rig but then I remembered my PC used to turn off whenever if overheated.

The thing is, sometimes the PC works perfectly and he can play any games, other times it will knock off when turning on some of the least graphically intensive games ever! Has anybody here ever experienced something like this? And did you find a work around or did you have to get a new card?

I bought the card off hardwareversand so i'm hoping I can return it if it's faulty and less then a year old.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Sup08

try the card in your machine and see if it does the same.
    If so send and RMA for it's return and testing.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Download HWMonitor and watch the temperatures when you open up a game. See if anything is overheating when it crashes.

Reseat the GPU to make sure it isn't loose or anything. The case might have gotten a bump or something which could be why the problems are only showing up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Test for overheating.

Download the new drivers for the card.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Vicxas wrote: »
    Test for overheating.

Download the new drivers for the card.

Thats what i would do , you could also take the card out and reseat it . What PSU have you got in the machine ??

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Doctor_Socks

Thanks for the replies everyone, card stays around a constant 35 degrees according to HWMonitor when Diablo 3 is running but the machine still cuts out.

Goin to put the card in my machine tonight and see what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Thanks for the replies everyone, card stays around a constant 35 degrees according to HWMonitor when Diablo 3 is running but the machine still cuts out.

Goin to put the card in my machine tonight and see what happens.

What about your CPU and other temperatures?

Advertisement