Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking up cycling

Options
  • 23-05-2012 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭

Hi folks I am interested in taking up cycling and looking for someone to point me in the right direction as to getting a bicycle and joining a club with a view to doing races etc , I am coming from a running background and would like to try something new and cycling hits the spot so to speak .
    Thanks in advance for your replies .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Ask Captain Havoc on the forum.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Hi misterdeeds,
    As it happens I train beginners every Monday evening and you're more than welcome to come along. Racing wouldn't really be my scene, I'm more into long distance pain and suffering. Going out with the group though you would learn the basics of group riding, pace lines and chain gangs. I think as you're starting out a good place to go would be Kilkenny Cycles as they'll be more helpful to you when you go back to have your bike repaired, I know there's cheaper online but I think the Sensa range in there is very good value. For today only until midnight cyclesuperstore.ie has a fantastic deal on pedals and shoes for €125. You could also pick out a second hand bike and feel free to PM ones that you've picked out and I'll tell you what I think. Good quality components do cost but do last also.
    I train the beginners every Monday leaving the castle gates at 7pm. There are three or four club leagues in the area, Enniscorthy and Comeragh are Tuesday I think, Waterford on Thursday and I can't remember if there's one on Wednesday. We've a few riders that do them. In terms of joining the club it's €20 then the cost of license varies, an introductary leisure license is €15 a club racing license, which is what I have is €55, I think a single category is €85 and an open license is €125.
    Any questions just ask.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭misterdeeds

Cheers captain havoc that is really helpful
    I am trying to see if i can get a loan of a bike and take it from there but will keep kk cycles in mind if I chose to purchase a bike in the near future, If I can get a bike I will pm you and would be more than happy to tag along with you and the rest of your gang
    thanks again and I hope to be in touch soon

Advertisement