Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bumble bee's

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

have a nest out the back garden, just found it yesterday - strangly it is on the ground, under some rotting grass cuttings... heard a buzz and turned some of the grass over and a load of the duckers come flying out at me.... little tiny bumble bees... dont have a clue what to do other than leave them there

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

laylah wrote: »
    we just found a large nest of them in our garden this evening..we didn't realize at the time but our method of disposing grass cuttings and dead branches provided the local bees with their equivalent of a nice semi detached! I love them and they really don't seem to be aggressive at all but I'm worried about the cat as he keeps investigating the area and might get stung badly(which could kill him)..should we leave them or is there a way to move/deter them without harming them? :confused:

also to ppl with foxglove be carefull it can be extremely dangerous to some and very poisonous-this usually happens when the dried out seeds burst and are inhaled.

Id leave the bees be,cats are curious,but like us humans,they are also aware of the bees.If you are in serious doubt,then contact your local beekeepers federation or group.

Trying to move the bees yourself could cause them to possibly die,and thats what you dont want,as bees are so good for the enviroment and the food chain.

You can also poke your eye out with a twig.;)

Daffodils are also toxic too.;)

In fairness to foxgloves,you would want to be actually eating the seeds to get any sort of bad reaction/poisoning

The seed pods are not going to just explode and fly into your throat.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭lesserspottedchloe

paddy147 wrote: »
    You can also poke your eye out with a twig.;)

Daffodils are also toxic too.;)

In fairness to foxgloves,you would want to be actually eating the seeds to get poisoned.

The seed pods are not going to just explode and fly into your throat.

yes exactly-like a cat, dog or small child would ;) and a friend of my aunts was very ill from removing dead stalks from her garden last year, when she agitated the dried seeds they 'literally burst' and she inhaled them-she could barely breath a few hours later and was rushed to hospital.

Well Im completely fcuked then,as I have foxgloves everywhere in my garden,along with heaps of giant alliums.

Ah well...Time to put on the Hazmat suit and breathing mask so.:D

jameshayes wrote: »
    have a nest out the back garden, just found it yesterday - strangly it is on the ground, under some rotting grass cuttings... heard a buzz and turned some of the grass over and a load of the duckers come flying out at me.... little tiny bumble bees... dont have a clue what to do other than leave them there

Thats where ther majority of bumble bee nests are...on the ground,under some rotting grass or in a small hole/void in the ground,just under the grass.

Leave them there,as they are not interested in harming you or anyone.

Great for your garden and great for the evniroment too.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭muckyhands

:(
    laylah wrote: »
    we just found a large nest of them in our garden this evening.....

should we leave them or is there a way to move/deter them without harming them? :confused:'

jameshayes wrote: »
    have a nest out the back garden, just found it yesterday - strangly it is on the ground, under some rotting grass cuttings...

little tiny bumble bees... dont have a clue what to do other than leave them there

My point exactly- unfortunately. They will never be a problem unless we know they are there. :(

Fact is they are there, they were always there and MORE IMPORTANTLY THEY SHOULD be there, why do people interfere all the time I wonder?

They were there all this time and never caused a problem, so please dont let your 'knowing' they are there BECOME the problem. :)

@ Laylah/ jameshayes

Apologies if my post sounded harsh or rude, was not my intention.

I JUST LOVE BEES!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

I've seen bumble bees that are black with orange towards the stinger.. Haven't seen any of the traditional ones . Very few wasps thank god

Wasps do great good, esp early in the year, by taking aphids to feed to their young. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

Nah I don't like them . What's worse is the dog catches them and eats them !? I tend to hit wasps with a shock racket €4

• Advertisement

Well,Ive never seen so many bumble bees,honey bees and hover flys all in the one place at the same time.

The amount of them was unreal,absolutely facinated by them.:)

Even had 3 hummingbird moths flying around the flowers aswell.

What would this creature be then?:confused:

It seem to hover and dart off very fast.

When it landed I got this photo of it.

Wierd looking indeed??:confused::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭richiek67

I've seen and also saved quite a few in my garden, celbridge.Big ones too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭richiek67

Hmmm, looks a little like a 'horse fly' , nasty yokes, but I could be wrong. They tend to bite!!

paddy147 wrote: »
    What would this creature be then?:confused:

It seem to hover and dart off very fast.

When it landed I got this photo of it.

Wierd looking indeed??:confused::D

Advertisement