Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bizzare PI Ban

Options
  • 23-05-2012 1:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭

The facts are as follows:
    • I responded to a thread on PI (Relationship Issues) that addressed the thread, but also responded to another poster's comment.
    • This post was not reported, and was even thanked.
    • A PI moderator then let through an anonymous post that was completely unrelated to the OP's issue, in breach of the charter and solely designed to flame another user (me).
    • I both reported this anonymous flame, questioning why the mods let it through, and responded to it on the thread.
    • A brief discussion took place between me and one of the PI mods on the reported posts thread (it seemed as easy as doing so via PM) where I continued to question why the mods had inexplicitly broken the PI charter. This mod, Ickle Magoo, instead focused on accusations of soap-boxing by me.
    • I have received a three month ban from Relationship Issues (for my response to the anonymous that was introduced by a PI mod) and from Personal Issues (no reason given and was not involved in this dispute).
    Additionally, another mod of PI (bluewolf) briefly posted to the reported posts thread, before deleting it again, the following:
    To clarify something not to launch an attack on the mods and start arguing
    Now, I may be accused of soap-boxing, although I would depute this or at least that I do this any more than most other posters, however this does not explain, let alone justify:
    • A moderator to that forum encouraging flames and breaches of a forum's charter, regardless of whether they feel that the user flamed deserves it or not.
    • I received an excessive ban from one forum because while the moderator(s) feel that an anonymous flame is "fair point in response" in some cases, my response to that flame was sufficient to gain me a ban.
    • That this ban more likely is as a result of seeking some accountability on this issue, because I do not believe that this would have occurred had I not pursued this - further underlined by bluewolf's deleted post.
    • That I have also been banned from another, related, forum despite not having done anything there.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

I would add that my ban and the apparent misuse of moderator powers to allow the anonymous flame are separate issues. Even if I am deemed to be guilty of soap-boxing and worthy of a ban, it certainly does not justify the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

I would add that my ban and the apparent misuse of moderator powers to allow the anonymous flame are separate issues.
    Fine. Then we will deal with the ban here. As per the DR process, I'll wait for input from the CMods first.

Asiaprod wrote: »
    Fine. Then we will deal with the ban here. As per the DR process, I'll wait for input from the CMods first.
    I would ask that both issues are dealt with here, otherwise the latter will effectively be brushed under the carpet, as it were.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

[*]This post was not reported, and was even thanked.

[*]I both reported this anonymous flame, questioning why the mods let it through, and responded to it on the thread.
    [*]A brief discussion took place between me and one of the PI mods on the reported posts thread (it seemed as easy as doing so via PM) where I continued to question why the mods had inexplicitly broken the PI charter.

TC

With regards to the above - please read this.

No user on this site has access to the Reported Posts forum.
    It is for Mod use only.
    And by mod use only, I mean for the sole use of a moderator of the forum involved in the reported post.

It has been mentioned before that other Mods keep out of a discussion on a reported post.
    In fact, you were reminded of that fact last year.
    Other Mods getting involved in a reported post of a forum they do not moderate is unacceptable.
    Moderating is difficult enough as you know, without having to deal with fellow moderators sticking their oar in.

You should never have gotten into a discussion on that reported posts thread.
    Mods in the past who did that where told to back off.
    I shall clarify that shortly and add it to the Charter of the Reported Posts forum.

I am stating the above in order that you understand that we do not discuss private moderator forums in a public forum.
    And that you understand, we will not be discussing anything said in a reported posts thread, because it should never have happened in the first place.
    Ordinary users don't have that access, neither do mods.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Will revert with thoughts on this in due course. Thanks.

• Advertisement

Dades wrote: »
    Will revert with thoughts on this in due course. Thanks.
    Are the PI mods not going to comment openly on this first?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

not unless they are invited to by the Cmod.

... which they won't be as I've heard what they have to say and inviting them to comment would just turn into a ding-dong between you (TC) and them. You're stuck with me so.

But the sun is still shining so lets all take a raincheck.

Dades wrote: »
    ... which they won't be as I've heard what they have to say and inviting them to comment would just turn into a ding-dong between you (TC) and them. You're stuck with me so.
    How have you heard? If accusations are being made that is this not the place to make them so that a poster may defend themselves against them?

I think you have a skewed view of what is going on here.

You've been banned. You feel aggrieved. A CMod (me, for my sins...) will offer an opinion on whether the ban was warranted or not. If you are unhappy with this opinion, you can appeal to an admin for a final opinion.

Mods can be asked for input (by me), but I don't see the need or the point. I'm not going to learn anything i don't know from a pointless exchange of posts here. I can see every post that led to this thread already.

• Advertisement

Firstly, apologies for the delay. Didn't want to rush through this one.

So, the substantive issue here is the ban issued. The ban was effectively for soap-boxing, or for being a drain on moderator time. The difficulty with this type of ban is that there is never one particular post that is worthy of a lenghty ban, which always makes it appear harsh.

The reality is however that I can see the pattern that has led the mods to take action. I've seen it myself in the past long before this ban came about. This wasn't an easy decision for anyone involved, as your contributions up to a point that you cross too often are welcomed (and will be again).

So the post that led to this is really just a one of a long series of posts (doubly flagged by your taking a stand in the PI reported post thread) that ultimately force mod intervention in the thread. And I understand, and stand by the PI mods decision on this.

Regarding the ban being from PI, I believe this is normal for a ban from RI. The ban is given for the parent forum for a sub-forum ban. Also, there is history in both forums.

Lastly, the unregged post your refer to in your OP is not really within the scope of this DR. It's technically a Helpdesk issue, but let's face it, we don't need a whole thread there. My opinion? I can see how the allowing of that post might annoy you, but I don't have an issue with it as a response to your post. The thing to note is that that unregged post didn't earn you a ban, that was a long time coming. The dam just happened to burst last week.

At any rate, if you want another opinion on this, just say and an Admin will do so.

All the best,
    Dades

Had the anonymous post been posted under normal circumstances it would have easily earned the poster a warning at the very least, if not more, as it was clearly (on two points) in breach of the forums rules and charter. However, as it suited the agenda of a moderator, then the charter could be ignored, given that you "don't have an issue with it".

At least you've clarified that rules and charters may be ignored whenever it suits. For this I thank you.

I will not escalate this further as ranks have clearly closed and the matter has been brushed under the carpet as I tentatively predicted earlier. As such I do not believe an escalation would make any difference.

I have nothing further to say on this subject.

I have nothing further to say on this subject.
    I have something to say on this subject.

/It might be a day before I can get back to this, RL is intruding:.

Sorry for the delayTC, real life don't wait.

The ban issue has been dealt with, you are not contesting it so I have nothing to say on that issue.

This one
    At least you've clarified that rules and charters may be ignored whenever it suits. For this I thank you.
    I will clarify for you, it is not correct. As a Mod you know that already.

This one
    I will not escalate this further as ranks have clearly closed and the matter has been brushed under the carpet as I tentatively predicted earlier.
    No conspiracy, no closing of ranks, just a solid consensus, and I was part of that.

Next time just report suspicions PMs and let the Mods of the Forum deal with them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement