Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ginger beer and oxidisation

Options
  • 23-05-2012 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

I made a gallon batch of ginger beer a couple of weeks ago.
    It's has fermented dry now and I plan to backsweeten with maltodextrin and bottle prime this weekend.
    However it will need straining to remove the leftover ginger and lemons.
    I was hoping to do this with a hop stocking into a clean demijohn but I'm worried about the risk of oxidizing the beer.

Is that a concern with this sort of beer.
    Recipe here.... http://www.homewinemaking.co.uk/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1274951264

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I'll tell you what I did. I was conscious of oxidisation and this method should minimise it. I'll be able to tell you next week if I was right. :)

I sanitised a seive and took out the large chunks of lemon and ginger that were floating on top with it. I then started the flow (through a tap / tube) into secondary for batch priming. While doing that, I held the seive in the secondary, with the bottom of the tube below the level of the ginger beer the whole time, but above the seive. Any of the pieces of ginger that made it through the tap were caught by the seive. When it finished transferring, I just removed the seive with the "bits" in it.

If that description isn't clear I'll do you up a basic diagram.

Next time I think I'll remove the ginger and lemon before pitching tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

Put all of the solids into a muslin bag at the outset. Then remove or extract them a week or so before bottling.

Kicking myself that I haven't been doing this from the outset.

Note that when you are using large amounts of solids in a brew like this you have to be careful of your siphon - rinse it immediately before that sticks, or you will have a lot of trouble removing it later on.

Advertisement