Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black Grouse in Tesco?

Options
  • 23-05-2012 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

Hey guys, im a huge fan of the peat, smoky whisky and black grouse is a fine blend that delivers!! I used to always get my bottles up the north in Sainsburys and they were priced very reasonably.
    When Tesco started doing bottles of the black grouse i was overjoyed!!!
    When i drank it though, it wasnt as smoky or peaty as i remember. (Its been a while since i got it up the north, over 2 years, and have had the good ones since, Ardbed, Auld Reekie (one of the best!), Laphroig etc.) I just thought it was me!
    Then i found an old black grouse box in the press and its different to the Tesco version. The old one mentions big peat flavour, finishing off in a smoky burn, or some such! The tesco one mentions peat but not the overly smoky stuff.
    I google imaged searched black grouse and only found the old box pictures and bottles, not the tesco ones!!
    Long story short, is it a special version specifically for tesco or have they changed their blend? (Sorry it was so long winded, i just love talkin 'bout scotch!!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

The Whisky Exchange has the following tasting note.

Producer's Tasting Notes
    Nose: Peaty-smoke then delicate sweetness. Golden raw sugar with traces of malt and oak.
    Palate: Subtle smoky-sweet tones. A silky smooth delivery with hints of cocoa and spice.
    Finish: Long, peaty, aromatic. Gentle smokiness, giving way to a resonant oaky note.

So sounds to me it is not supposed to be a big peated whisky.

Maybe your palate has become more accustomed to peated whisky and because of that going back to it you do not think it is as peated as you once thought?

I used to think Bowmore was hugely peated and recoiled from it when I first tasted it but now that I am much more into my whisky I know it is really middle of the road compared to Laph's and Laga's. Laphroaig QC is a stead fast for me these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭FlicFlak

The Whisky Exchange has the following tasting note.

Producer's Tasting Notes
    Nose: Peaty-smoke then delicate sweetness. Golden raw sugar with traces of malt and oak.
    Palate: Subtle smoky-sweet tones. A silky smooth delivery with hints of cocoa and spice.
    Finish: Long, peaty, aromatic. Gentle smokiness, giving way to a resonant oaky note.

So sounds to me it is not supposed to be a big peated whisky.

Maybe your palate has become more accustomed to peated whisky and because of that going back to it you do not think it is as peated as you once thought?

I used to think Bowmore was hugely peated and recoiled from it when I first tasted it but now that I am much more into my whisky I know it is really middle of the road compared to Laph's and Laga's. Laphroaig QC is a stead fast for me these days.

Yeah that sounds reasonable, gonna go up north and get a bottle from there, just to be sure!

Advertisement