Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please sign feral cat petition

• 23-05-2012 1:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Can I ask all cat lovers to please sign this petition:

<snip>

We are asking that ALL cats in Ireland, feral as well as tame, be included in the forthcoming Animal Health & Welfare Bill. There is no legitimate reason why they shouldn't be included as feral cats are the same species as tame cats and in many instances are former domestic pets that have been abandoned by their owners or are the offspring of such cats. Presently they have no protection or legislation concerning their welfare and safety and this needs to be addressed adequately in the Bill.

Thanks everyone and please share with other cat loving friends. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

I'm a cat owner but what about or native wildlife and the effect these non-native feral cats have on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Bad idea and it will not happen, no matter what some people think feral cats are a problem and need to be controled

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

It's crazy how as humans we have decided that certain animals are pests, and therefore we can kill them.

Why do you think there are so many ferals in the first place? Because stupid humans abandoned them or let them roam un-neutered, that's why. So the problem is ours to fix, but of course our first solution is kill them.

Yes they kill some birds. How many wild animals do humans kill every year? By destroying habitats or food sources. Oh but that's ok, nobody really cares about that.

Yes they might poo in your garden or estate, but how many landfills are filled with sh*tty nappies? Ah sure that doesn't count eh!

We've done way more damage to the planet and nature than any other animal ever will yet we don't see a problem with it. We don't restrict our breeding. We just keep multiplying.

The attitude of some people really stinks.

Petition signed, with pleasure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

"Trap/neuter/return must be the 1st option considered for feral cats, not trap and kill."

Return where? Release them back into urban areas?

^^ how exactly are they such a nuisance?

• Advertisement

We call them a pest because they are a pest. Rabbits, foxes, cats that are let roam, mice, rats, all pests

Habitats for rare or endangered animals are protected and maintaned so these anmals can have a chance

People dont generally live or kids dont usually play on landfills so that argument is nul and void

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭Odelay

They breed like feck and decimate bird populations and they don't just kill for food, they kill for fun too.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/09/0907_040907_feralcats.html

While it is unplesant, they should not breed uncontroled the in the first place.

We call them a pest because they are a pest. Rabbits, foxes, cats that are let roam, mice, rats, all pests

Habitats for rare or endangered animals are protected and maintaned so these anmals can have a chance

They are only pests because we deem them so. Because the interfere with our lives slightly.

So are we not destroying rainforests and fertile lands? Species aren't going extinct at an alarming rate?
    I wish that was the case.

I just get a bit angry when I see people complaining about animals, when humans are way more of a "nuisance" to the planet than animals ever will be.

Odelay wrote: »

They breed like feck and decimate "insert any number of species here" populations and they don't just kill for food, they kill for fun too. .

Remind you of anyone? Sounds a lot like us humans to me.

It's crazy how as humans we have decided that certain animals are pests, and therefore we can kill them.

How many wild animals do humans kill every year? By destroying habitats or food sources.

the average feral cat will kill far more wild life than the average human in a year. It is in the wild 24/7.

Out of interest do you consider any amimal to be a pest? Rats?

• Advertisement

Im not destroying rainforests or letting my cat roam and breed freely, im mot letting my supposed pets go around pissing off my neighbours by ****ting in their gardens, a friend of mine only told me tonight that her fella went into the babys room and their was a cat in the crib!

Trap neuter relese is a nice idea but unfortunatly it does nothing to solve the immediate problem and cats can live a long time

I have to agree. Hopefully we will learn.

Out of interest do you consider any amimal to be a pest? Rats?

If human life was seriously in danger because of the over population of a certain species, then probably yes. But killing them all wouldn't necessarily be my first response. It wouldn't be a decision I would be happy about.

What I don't agree with is people advocating the killing of lots of animals just because we consider them a nuisance.

I'd guarantee more species are now extinct because of humans , than because of cats. Why don't we treat ourselves with the same disgust?

They are only pests because we deem them so. Because the interfere with our lives slightly.

So are we not destroying rainforests and fertile lands? Species aren't going extinct at an alarming rate?
    I wish that was the case.

I just get a bit angry when I see people complaining about animals, when humans are way more of a "nuisance" to the planet than animals ever will be.

They never interfere with my life only that I do notice the decrease in bird population when there is a feral cat about. Do you think I should say "one cat, dozens of birds gone, hasn't inferfered with me so....meh, not my problem?"

Humans are working to stop animals going extinct, cats are not going to go extinct even if every single stray and feral in the country were culled there would still be more than enough

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 376 ✭✭cambridge

Why do you think there are so many ferals in the first place? Because stupid humans abandoned them or let them roam un-neutered, that's why. So the problem is ours to fix, but of course our first solution is kill them.

Yes they kill some birds. How many wild animals do humans kill every year? By destroying habitats or food sources. Oh but that's ok, nobody really cares about that.

Yes they might poo in your garden or estate, but how many landfills are filled with sh*tty nappies? Ah sure that doesn't count eh!

We've done way more damage to the planet and nature than any other animal ever will yet we don't see a problem with it. We don't restrict our breeding. We just keep multiplying.

The attitude of some people really stinks.

Petition signed, with pleasure.

Jesus christ are you comparing feral cats to people? People litter so why can't cats wreck the place? People kill birds why can't cats? Do you want cats to be able to vote in elections as well?

Ireland's attitude to cats and dogs is beyond a disgrace. People who let their dog or cat roam free should risk having the animal destroyed as they are a menace. Feral cats unfortunately are a by-product of human neglect. It's lamentable that the original owners of these feral cats or their descendants are impossible to find, they should be punished.

Essentially all feral cats should be destroyed. Roaming cats should be destroyed. People that release cats should be punished (fine and imprisonment). All domestic pets should be spayed and neutered.

They never interfere with my life only that I do notice the decrease in bird population when there is a feral cat about. Do you think I should say "one cat, dozens of birds gone, hasn't inferfered with me so....meh, not my problem?"

No but why should the solution be a death sentence for all feral cats? Do we really hold the lives of animals with such little value?

For the most part we created this problem. Now we just want to get rid of them all and forget the whole thing happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Browning2010

Loveisdivine or whatever your name is,

You don't like humans much? The way your coming across you'd swear you wanted humans to be killed or something instead of cats.

Cats feral and domesticated kill thousands of song birds every year of course they need to be controlled and that's by filling them with lead(the feral ones).

There actually probably worse than foxes.

What about rats, do you want to see them protected aswell?..or is it just the fluffy cute animals you care about?

If human life was seriously in danger because of the over population of a certain species, then probably yes. But killing them all wouldn't necessarily be my first response. It wouldn't be a decision I would be happy about.

What I don't agree with is people advocating the killing of lots of animals just because we consider them a nuisance.

I'd guarantee more species are now extinct because of humans , than because of cats. Why don't we treat ourselves with the same disgust?

I don't advocate killing animals for no reason, however under certain circumstances a cull can be required as a last resort. Any good animal welfare person say this. It would be preferred not to have to do so, would be better if breeding was controlled but we are not in a perfect world.

Yes more species are extinct because of human activity than because of cats. I believe you are right here. I do treat some humans with discust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

They breed like feck and decimate bird populations and they don't just kill for food, they kill for fun too.
    [/url]

Just like the pet cat population, then. It's not that they kill for fun - that's anthropomorphism. Domestication has removed the need to hunt for survival, but the instinct is still there.

Feral cats like to have their food handed to them, like any pet cat. If they're not getting fed by someone, they'll hunt mice and shrew, but don't like to eat rat. Their third preference is for small birds, as these are harder to hunt.

I often hear people say feral cats decimate bird populations, but where is the evidence, other than on isolated environments such as Tory island?

There's no clear line between pet cat and feral cat. Many cats we consider feral are actually tame to the people that feed them, and in fact, become even tamer still once neutered. Many stray cats that have become wary of people are confused with true ferals - which are relatively rare. It's such a grey area. How can you justify shooting a cat that is owned, healthy and neutered, simply because of its fear of people? How do you even identify a feral at fifty paces? They're not all snot-nosed bags of bones! The neutered, cared-for ones I've seen are indistinguishable from tame cats, and many tame cats that are neglected could be mis-identified as feral.

I agree that un-neutered feral cats can be a terrible nuisance in built-up areas, but the idea of a blanket cull is unworkable, not to mention unpalatable to the general public. It'll never happen.

• Advertisement

For the most part we created this problem. Now we just want to get rid of them all and forget the whole thing happened.

How do you suggest we stop them killing birds for fun? Honestly I'm open to any sugestions, I'd love to see this problem sorted.

Loveisdivine or whatever your name is,

You don't like humans much? The way your coming across you'd swear you wanted humans to be killed or something instead of cats.

Cats feral and domesticated kill thousands of song birds every year of course they need to be controlled and that's by filling them with lead(the feral ones).

There actually probably worse than foxes.

What about rats, do you want to see them protected aswell?..or is it just the fluffy cute animals you care about?

It's more that I don't like a lot of the actions of humans, more than humans themselves.

I have already said that I agree with culling if there is a genuine threat to human life but not just because they annoy some people.

I would stand up for any animal, whether fluffy or not, if I felt they were being dealt a poor hand in life.

I think a lot of people roll out the "cats kill all the birds" line because it's a convenient way of not having to say that they just don't like cats.

It just amazes me the contempt we have for other animals, compared to how lazily we react to our own negative actions.

I don't want to get into a big debate, I just don't think killing everything is always the answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Grand so. Well if the cats want to evolve and become the dominant species on this planet then they can debate the ethics of trapping, neutering and releasing us.

An organised cull will not happen you are right about that bit neither will what the patition is calling for so culls in certain areas will continue to happen

boomerang wrote: »
    [/url]

Just like the pet cat population, then. It's not that they kill for fun - that's anthropomorphism. Domestication has removed the need to hunt for survival, but the instinct is still there.

Feral cats like to have their food handed to them, like any pet cat. If they're not getting fed by someone, they'll hunt mice and shrew, but don't like to eat rat. Their third preference is for small birds, as these are harder to hunt.

I often hear people say feral cats decimate bird populations, but where is the evidence, other than on isolated environments such as Tory island?

There's no clear line between pet cat and feral cat. Many cats we consider feral are actually tame to the people that feed them, and in fact, become even tamer still once neutered. Many stray cats that have become wary of people are confused with true ferals - which are relatively rare. It's such a grey area. How can you justify shooting a cat that is owned, healthy and neutered, simply because of its fear of people? How do you even identify a feral at fifty paces? They're not all snot-nosed bags of bones! The neutered, cared-for ones I've seen are indistinguishable from tame cats, and many tame cats that are neglected could be mis-identified as feral.

I agree that un-neutered feral cats can be a terrible nuisance in built-up areas, but the idea of a blanket cull is unworkable, not to mention unpalatable to the general public. It'll never happen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feral_cat

Not asking for a blanket cull, just asking that the law does not change they are untouchable and uncontrolled.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 376 ✭✭cambridge

It just amazes me the contempt we have for other animals, compared to how lazily we react to our own negative actions.

I don't want to get into a big debate, I just don't think killing everything is always the answer.

You obviously haven't thought about this much. You can't get into a big debate because you have no logical rationale for your opinion. It's pure misplaced sentimentality.

You are aware that if you don't pay your TV licence you get a fine and risk imprisonment. you are aware that if you dump rubbish on the street you risk a fine and and imprisonment. you are aware that if you steal things from other people you risk imprisonment. You are aware that if you kill people you risk imprisonment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

I think a lot of people roll out the "cats kill all the birds" line because it's a convenient way of not having to say that they just don't like cats.

But since you have brought it up what about those of us who do like cats but elect to keep them inside so that they don't destroy our native wildlife. If you chose to keep a cat you are responsible for its actions including if it kills birds. It's in their nature to hunt. If people took more responsibility we wouldn't be talking about feral cats. But since they are not native wildlife we have a responsibility to protect our native wildlife.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

What is the estimated Feral and tame cat population of Eire?

What is the estimated Feral and tame cat population of Eire?

"estimated one million strong feral cat population in Ireland"

http://kildarevet.ie/2010/10/15/trap-neuter-return-irelands-feral-cats/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feral_cat

Wikipedia doesn't convince me. All that article provides is a reference from an ornithologist's report of 1916 (Ornithologist - biased much?) problems with European mammals introduced to New Zealand and Oz from the old world, and the problems for vulnerable species in small island populations.

Where's the data to show us the effect of feral cats on Irish bird populations?

If it's out there and it's un-biased, I do want to see it. I'm not blind to the fact that un-controlled populations of feral cats can cause problems.

Advertisement