Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please sign feral cat petition

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Was on local radio today appealing for farm homes for some healthy, neutered ferals. Got a great response and have potential farm homes lined up for about 12 cats.

Ferals are identifiable from a distance only if you assume all ferals are unhealthy, ragged and rangy looking critters, and if you believe all pet cats are sleek, tame and healthy.

One man's vermin is another man's non-toxic pest control...

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭foxer3640

The problem is feral city cats not country...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Ok well shooting them is not really an option then anyway. Citys and shooting dont really mix :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

boomerang wrote: »
    Was on local radio today appealing for farm homes for some healthy, neutered ferals. Got a great response and have potential farm homes lined up for about 12 cats.

Ferals are identifiable from a distance only if you assume all ferals are unhealthy, ragged and rangy looking critters, and if you believe all pet cats are sleek, tame and healthy.

Thats great news.

Were currently looking after a stray and hopefully once she's a little more relaxed she will be rehomed to a farm/stables.

Good to know theres some compassionate people out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Fair play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Spunk84

Now you may know more than me but this relocation is useless !!! Cats always return to were they live and as they are feral I take they won't be in a house, so how taking them miles away to a farm stop them returning to their orignal home and causing more problems ?

Don't get me wrong its great that you can rehome them and I hope they live a good healthy life on a farm but what happens when they go walk about again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

You keep them inside a shed or barn for about a week or 2 and feed the up at regular times during the day. They soon realise that this place means regular feeding, so why would they wander? When you let them out, sure they might roam a bit during the day to catch their mice/rats/whatever but they will stick around because they know they are going to get fed at least once a day so they don't have to completely rely on hunting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

Spunk84 wrote: »
    Now you may know more than me but this relocation is useless !!! Cats always return to were they live and as they are feral I take they won't be in a house, so how taking them miles away to a farm stop them returning to their orignal home and causing more problems ?

Don't get me wrong its great that you can rehome them and I hope they live a good healthy life on a farm but what happens when they go walk about again

Rubbish, cats stay where they are fed. I have a supposedly feral cat that follows me round all day, and never leaves home - despite the fact that she was originally living less than a mile away.

planetX wrote: »

Rubbish, cats stay where they are fed. I have a supposedly feral cat that follows me round all day, and never leaves home - despite the fact that she was originally living less than a mile away.
    Then she's not a feral :o .

so explain exactly what a feral is....
    she was a cat living wild without human contact. There is no distinction between ferals and pet cats, only the level of human care. The rest is propaganda by the people who get perverse pleasure out of killing them.

she was a cat living wild without human contact. There is no distinction between ferals and pet cats, only the level of human care. The rest is propaganda by the people who get perverse pleasure out of killing them.
    Try lifting a feral cat and see Wat happens !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

PlanetX theres no need for comments like this.The discussion regarding feral cats and their culling is allowed in the rules.While you may not agree with it calling it "propaganda" goes against the rules of the forum.So can we keep it nice.

what? Do they have different weapons to regular cats? Mine would shred you if you picked one up, they're quite selective.

Mine would shred you if you picked one up,.
    A pet cat does not shred people :O Now if a child went to pick up your perfectly normal cat ;D and was shredded it is your fault and you should be convicted of having a dangerous animal and the cat should be put down. The same way many people who own dogs are treated when they shred a toddler .... Ignorance is no excuse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Mine would shred you if you picked one up,.
    A pet cat does not shred people :O Now if a child went to pick up your perfectly normal cat ;D and was shredded it is your fault and you should be convicted of having a dangerous animal and the cat should be put down. The same way many people who own dogs are treated when they shred a toddler .... Ignorance is no excuse

If that's the case probably 75% of pet cats In Ireland would be put down, maybe toddlers should be taught not to pick up unknown cats? My own 7 year old, indoor, friendly pet cat that iv had since a kitten has given me a few nasty scratches when I'v picked her up when she hasn't wanted to be picked up, she hates strangers and is terrified of them so I have no doubt if a strange adult or child tried to pick her up she would thrash around probably tearing apart their hands to get away. As for the dog side of things, in Ireland the owner is not convicted of owning a dangerous animal, the dog is put down end of story no investigation and no conviction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭alie

Signed

They don't go walk about again, that's the thing. If you confine the cats for the first week to ten days, talk to them daily so they get used to your voice, and most of all, feed them, they will stay. The farmyard becomes the centre of their home range. I can't stress how important it is to feed them. Otherwise, what reason have they to stay? This idea that it spoils them so they won't hunt is baloney. They need to be fit and well to hunt. :)

They don't want to be in a house. They sleep in the haysheds or in the outhouses.

If you just put a feral on a farm, don't confine it to give it time to acclimatise and don't feed it, nine times out of ten, it runs off, never to be seen again.

Male cats have bigger home ranges than females, so female ferals are preferrable for farm homes as mousers, as they tend not to wander too far away from the yard. Feral cats live in families, with even the male kittens sticking close to momma until up to a year old, before striking out on their own. We try to rehome in small groups, usually an adult momma cat with her kittens from the last litter.

Neutered, vet-checked ferals don't cause problems as:

- They have been treated for parasites
    - There is no yowling of female of cats in call
    - No screaming matches between fighting males
    - No smelly spray marking by the males
    - They are much tamer just days after neutering, and gain condition
    - No inbreeding or overcrowding, which leads to illness and disease
    - Even two or three ferals on a farm are a deterrent to outside cats coming in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Someone mentioned Tory Island; wondering what the rodent situation is there now? And rabbits? A small island with no predators will see a great problem. This is what was experienced myself.

There is need for a balance.

The way it was done on Tory was , well I have reservations.

As I have about people hunting for sport etc, rather than for need and food.

TNR works, period. Long term it works without killing.

Our two cats come and go as they please. We are isolated here with no near neighbours. Others in the locality lose vegetables to rabbits and hares. We never do. Mice and rats are kept down. Apart from the pleasure the cats give. And the pleasure they enjoy also.

Was sent this link today, it's from the RSPB:

Are cats causing bird declines?

http://www.rspb.org.uk/advice/gardening/unwantedvisitors/cats/birddeclines.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Binka

I have been following this thread and taken in all the different views.
    My conclusion...I signed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Traonach

Graces7 wrote: »
    Someone mentioned Tory Island; wondering what the rodent situation is there now? And rabbits? A small island with no predators will see a great problem. This is what was experienced myself.

There is need for a balance.

The way it was done on Tory was , well I have reservations.

As I have about people hunting for sport etc, rather than for need and food.

TNR works, period. Long term it works without killing.

Our two cats come and go as they please. We are isolated here with no near neighbours. Others in the locality lose vegetables to rabbits and hares. We never do. Mice and rats are kept down. Apart from the pleasure the cats give. And the pleasure they enjoy also.
    The feral cats on Tory were removed because they were killing corncrake, a critically endangered breeding Irish bird. The loss of a single Corncrake to a feral cat is unacceptable. There are breeding Kestrels which keep the rosent population down. Rabbits are shot.

• Advertisement

I was involved in a report on Tory Island a few years ago. Even the corncrakes there are vulnerable. The reason they are so important on Tory is that there are practically none left on the mainland. This is down to the mechanisation of making hay and silage, not predation by cats.

I was involved in a report on Tory Island a few years ago. Even the corncrakes there are vulnerable. The reason they are so important on Tory is that there are practically none left on the mainland. This is down to the mechanisation of making hay and silage, not predation by cats.
    There were only 135 calling male Corncrake last year. The main reasons for Corncrake declines are early cut silage, lack of early cover. Predation by mink and feral cats and a lesser extent foxes and crows. If even one corncrake is killed by a feral cat that represents a grave threat to the survival of Corncrakes in this country. Would you prefer they left the feral cats on Tory and kill Corncrakes?

No, and I never said I did. ;)

Traonach wrote: »
    There were only 135 calling male Corncrake last year. The main reasons for Corncrake declines are early cut silage, lack of early cover. Predation by mink and feral cats and a lesser extent foxes and crows. If even one corncrake is killed by a feral cat that represents a grave threat to the survival of Corncrakes in this country. Would you prefer they left the feral cats on Tory and kill Corncrakes?

Species die out. If they are so endangered, do we agree to wipe out any possible threat? Too great a cost.

TNR is fine.

What was done on Tory was not fine.

Farming methods are to blame.

Your last sentence comes across as emotional blackmail.

Scapegoating is not the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Done. With TNR is cuts down the feral/stray cat population anyway so whether they have an impact on wildlife or not TNR should be supported as should the bill the more protection these cats have the more rescues can do for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

momg wrote: »
    Can I ask all cat lovers to please sign this petition:

<snip>

We are asking that ALL cats in Ireland, feral as well as tame, be included in the forthcoming Animal Health & Welfare Bill. There is no legitimate reason why they shouldn't be included as feral cats are the same species as tame cats and in many instances are former domestic pets that have been abandoned by their owners or are the offspring of such cats. Presently they have no protection or legislation concerning their welfare and safety and this needs to be addressed adequately in the Bill.

Thanks everyone and please share with other cat loving friends. :)

Link removed as by this stage it has become quite clear that the OP never had any intention of actually participating in any sort of discussion. This is a discussion forum not a public noticeboard for spamming links to your petition.

The discussion can continue.

Species die out. If they are so endangered, do we agree to wipe out any possible threat? Too great a cost.

TNR is fine.

What was done on Tory was not fine.
    We have a moral obligation to protect endangered species. Under EU law Ireland has a duty to protect endangered birds such as Corncrake. The Irish goverment has been up in court numerous times for failure to protect endangered birds in Ireland.(http://www.birdwatchireland.ie/News/ECJupholdsEUcomplaintsagainstIrishGovernment/tabid/490/Default.aspx It is ridiculous to put the lives of non-native feral cats above Irish Corncrakes on Tory.

I'm not against TNR. However on a small Island like Tory removing the cats was a better option, especially considering feral cats were killing Corncrakes. On the mainland if you remove feral cats they will be quickly replaced by more ferals. With TNR you can at least help keep the population stable.

Traonach wrote: »
    We have a moral obligation to protect endangered species. Under EU law Ireland has a duty to protect endangered birds such as Corncrake. The Irish goverment has been up in court numerous times for failure to protect endangered birds in Ireland.(http://www.birdwatchireland.ie/News/ECJupholdsEUcomplaintsagainstIrishGovernment/tabid/490/Default.aspx It is ridiculous to put the lives of non-native feral cats above Irish Corncrakes on Tory.

I'm not against TNR. However on a small Island like Tory removing the cats was a better option, especially considering feral cats were killing Corncrakes. On the mainland if you remove feral cats they will be quickly replaced by more ferals. With TNR you can at least help keep the population stable.

Sad that you think that. Your euphemism of "removing" tells so much.They were slaughtered. Killed, butchered. And yes, murdered. For simply being there and in this case, the victims twice over. Of neglect then brutal capture and slaughter.

We were looking at property on Tory at the time; no way would we live in a place liek that where bird worship rules!

When there is a way and many folk supporting that way to manage without wholesale discriminatory slaughter, it is utterly beyond ridiculous to do what was done.

This unrealistic fanatical protectionism goes against nature and is inhumane in the extreme. Reminds of all racism and prejudice.

NB it is incorrect to capitalise corncrake. Obsessional.

OK: that is all I have to say. Some of the posts in this thread are deeply distressing to animal lovers.. and some seemed quite intimidatory. Men shooting for sport.. ugh! Better on the hunting forum not here where folk love cats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Calling the killing of animals "murder" is rediculous and paints people who engage in l hunting in a bad light. Its anti slur and makes people seem as tho they think of an animals the exact same way as humans.

Gun clubs, hunters and the fieldsports comunity in general have done more for the wildlife in this country than most of the people on here giving out about them

And plenty of them people like and infact have cats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,747 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Sad that you think that. Your euphemism of "removing" tells so much.They were slaughtered. Killed, butchered. And yes, murdered. For simply being there and in this case, the victims twice over. Of neglect then brutal capture and slaughter.

We were looking at property on Tory at the time; no way would we live in a place liek that where bird worship rules!

When there is a way and many folk supporting that way to manage without wholesale discriminatory slaughter, it is utterly beyond ridiculous to do what was done.

This unrealistic fanatical protectionism goes against nature and is inhumane in the extreme. Reminds of all racism and prejudice.

NB it is incorrect to capitalise corncrake. Obsessional.

for sport.. ugh! Better on the hunting forum not here where folk love cats.

The removal of non-native species to protect rare/declining native species is a standard conservation tool used around the world. Countries like New Zealand, Peru, UK, Australia etc. have removed non-native invaders like cats, dog, rats, goats and wild pigs etc. from various offshore islands to prevent the immenent extiction of various various bird, turtle and plant species. These measures are vital if the current extinction crisis the planet is undergoing is the be slowed, let alone halted. The introduction of non-native species is in the top 3 most important drivers of extinction according to international bodies like WWF, IUCN etc.

PS: I grew up with cats and kept them as pets at various times so I am not anti-cat - I simply beleive that preventing the extinction of whole species is more important then a tiny number of feral cats among the hundreds of millions of feral cats that exist in and around virtually every human settlement on the planet.

Advertisement