Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Milano 9" Pizza half price in Tesco

• 23-05-2012 1:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭

Was €5.01 and now €2.50, have them in Mozzeralla, Sloppy Guiseppe and I think, Americana.

Not bad pizza, personally I think they are only worth €2.50 but they are on half price at mo.

Here's what Conor Pope had to say in pricewatch about them -
    "Milano Margherita €5.01
    Milano is a highly regarded pizza joint and makes some very fine pizzas indeed. While this is nice, it is probably not as nice as the pizzas that can be bought in the restaurants – but that is to be expected, given the relative freshness of both options. That is not to say this isn’t fresh, it most certainly is, but some elements disappoint. It is very small – there are larger sizes available – and very herby, and we liked the tomato sauce a lot. The cubes of mozzarella on the other hand were ever so slightly tasteless. The base was excellent and full of flavour. It is on the pricey side, mind you.
    Verdict : Very good
    Star rating: **** "

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2012/0522/1224316492086.html

They are good to freeze, I have bought these in the past along with some €0.69 cent Mozzeralla in Lidl and chopped it up and threw it on top - yummy !

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭ciano1

I tried the sloppy guiseppe one a while back.
    Thought it was horrible! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cojomo2

ciano1 wrote: »
    I tried the sloppy guiseppe one a while back.
    Thought it was horrible! :(
    +1

their pizzas are one of the worst supermarket pizzas I've tried, and way overpriced. They have just released a newer bigger one- about the same size as the gigantic ones or a bit smaller, at about 7 euro each..lol

Nicest in my opinion in the dr oetker fungi one..yum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

Some of these "half-price" deals in Tesco are rubbish. No way in the world that anyone would pay 5 euro for one of those pizzas, they are entirely average and are never worth 5 euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Moan moan moan

Don't avail of the bargain alert so ;):D !

Ok, new rule, no commentary at all is permitted on bargain alerts, that's it, do not moan/comment at all.

• Advertisement

vicwatson wrote: »
    Moan moan moan

Don't avail of the bargain alert so ;):D !

If you normally pay a fiver for one of these:eek:, then its a bargain alert!

If you don't, then its not, as you can get much much nicer pizza for about 2-3 quid at normal price..IMO ofcourse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I have always wondered who actually buys these pizzas, I bought one once when they like now were half price and wasn't at all impressed, seriously who is buying these rank pizzas for a fiver?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

The Dr.Oetker frozen pizzas are way better than this.

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    I have always wondered who actually buys these pizzas, I bought one once when they like now were half price and wasn't at all impressed, seriously who is buying these rank pizzas for a fiver?

I guess you would only pay a fiver if you had not tried one before and thought that they looked nice and wanted to splash out. I would say that the large majority of the people who buy them once never go on to buy them again. They are seriously not nice at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

Ian Whelan wrote: »
    Some of these "half-price" deals in Tesco are rubbish. No way in the world that anyone would pay 5 euro for one of those pizzas, they are entirely average and are never worth 5 euro.

I'm pretty sure that almost every time I've been in tesco Prussia Street for the last year, these pizzas have been "half-price". Complete bull really.

And I don't think they are bad either, sloppy giuseppe is nice if you ask me :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

cojomo2 wrote: »
    +1

their pizzas are one of the worst supermarket pizzas I've tried, and way overpriced.

Nicest in my opinion in the dr oetker fungi one..yum
    snubbleste wrote: »
    The Dr.Oetker frozen pizzas are way better than this.

+3 for Dr Oetker, lovely pizzas
    The garlic one is the nicest, Funga or something like that, Italian name

Milanos are waaaaaay overpriced
    Thanks for the bargain alert OP of course but even at half price, well there are other options out there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

if your in the real capital, you should try padraigins pizzas, they have a beautiful black pudding and cheese one, loadssssssssss of toppings

If you normally pay a fiver for one of these:eek:, then its a bargain alert!

If you don't, then its not, as you can get much much nicer pizza for about 2-3 quid at normal price..IMO ofcourse.

Ahem. It's a half price pizza bargain alert whether you want to buy one or not.

Don't avail of the offer if you don't want. No point in just moaning over it.

If you don't ever buy them as you think there is better out there then half price or free is not going to interest you so no point in moaning about it - just don't avail of the deal :-) ;)

Ahem. It's a half price pizza bargain alert whether you want to buy one or not.

Don't avail of the offer if you don't want. No point in just moaning over it.

If you don't ever buy them as you think there is better out there then half price or free is not going to interest you so no point in moaning about it - just don't avail of the deal :-) ;)

Well, call it moaning of you like but out was really just a heads up for others that have not tried these yet, they are poor (IMO), and like others have pointed out, these are nearly always half price anyway so not really a bargain. Not having a go OP, just giving myopinion

Well, call it moaning of you like but out was really just a heads up for others that have not tried these yet, they are poor (IMO), and like others have pointed out, these are nearly always half price anyway so not really a bargain. Not having a go OP, just giving myopinion

Yesterday you pay 5.01, today you pay 2.50.

If you read my op you'll see that i said i thought they were only worth 2.50.

Yesterday you pay 5.01, today you pay 2.50.

If you read my op you'll see that i said i thought they were only worth 2.50.

Exactly my point :-) if you normally buy these at 5.01 then its a bargain! If you don't, then its not, as like you say yourself, they are only worth 2.50..

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cokeistan

TheDriver wrote: »
    if your in the real capital, you should try padraigins pizzas, they have a beautiful black pudding and cheese one, loadssssssssss of toppings

Ever try them in the padrigins restaurant in Bandon? Unbelievably tasty :D

Exactly my point :-) if you normally buy these at 5.01 then its a bargain! If you don't, then its not, as like you say yourself, they are only worth 2.50..

Look, it's 50% off so its a bargain. Jesus.

Rather than make a new pizza thread I thought I'd mention this here, tesco have the dr.oetker casa di mama pizzas at 1.89 (half price)..tried one and they are delicious ..up there with the standard Dr. oetkers..worth a try.

Goes down well with the word beers they also do, specially the erdinger dunkel...a Dr. Oetker with an unkel dunkel and your in good company :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Cokeistan wrote: »
    Ever try them in the padrigins restaurant in Bandon? Unbelievably tasty :D

I have indeed but to be honest, the restaurant is expensive for everything else and the home cooked ones seem as nice. Expensive but worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

Look, it's 50% off so its a bargain. Jesus.
    Thanks OP. Like these myself so will stock up on a few. Always look out for them falling to half price. My favourite supermarket pizzas at the moment. Best base of any shop pizza around.

Rather than make a new pizza thread I thought I'd mention this here, tesco have the dr.oetker casa di mama pizzas at 1.89 (half price)..tried one and they are delicious ..up there with the standard Dr. oetkers..worth a try.

Goes down well with the word beers they also do, specially the erdinger dunkel...a Dr. Oetker with an unkel dunkel and your in good company :-)

Sorry to quote myself but just realised I got my pizzas mixed up..the Dr oetker I mentioned above is actually terrible..base is like pastry...its a new Goodfellas as one I was thinking of..I'll update if I remember the name..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

Balls - I bought one on your recommendation cojomo2 :) wasn't bad...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Those Dr oetker ones and casa di mama are seriously unhealthy. Check out the fat content etc on the labels. Don't buy em anymore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

think of it this way. A little bit of flattened dough, a bit of tomato sauce, a few bits of tomato and some scratching of mass produced "mozzerella"

€2.50 - just about ok, €5.01 - utterly crazy

Its an OK pizza if cooked the right way (a bit diff to frozen)

Unless you are in mad panic, does anyone ever pay full price for a pizza?

Sorry to quote myself but just realised I got my pizzas mixed up..the Dr oetker I mentioned above is actually terrible..base is like pastry...its a new Goodfellas as one I was thinking of..I'll update if I remember the name..

Thought you were going mad alright. Those bases on Dr oetker are like eating biscuits. yak

Slunk wrote: »
    Those Dr oetker ones and casa di mama are seriously unhealthy. Check out the fat content etc on the labels. Don't buy em anymore

Why is it when someone starts a thread about pizza bargains there is always the inevitable comment on the fat content of pizzas and how bad they are for you - we know.

Don't buy one if you don't want. Simples.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

These pizzas are not bad at all. They do have to be cooked properly though, that means drizzling them with oil prior to cooking (preferably some nice chilli oil, but ordinary olive oil suffices).
    I used to be a big dr. oekter fan, but the opposition have raised their game and there are quite a few good very thin base frozen pizzas out there nowadays.

Re price, these pizzas are almost always selling at €2.50 in Tesco, they raise them to €4.50 or €5.00 for very, very short periods. As many have commented, you'd want to be fairly gone on them to justify the €5.00, but at €2.50, imo they're worth a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

These threads always draw out the pizza snobs

• Advertisement

I'm hungry for pizza and it's only 9:30am. Bloody hell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭Polar101

Thought you were going mad alright. Those bases on Dr oetker are like eating biscuits. yak

The 'casa di mama' variety has a half cooked base, so it actually becomes pretty good in the oven.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭Polar101

sandin wrote: »

Unless you are in mad panic, does anyone ever pay full price for a pizza?

Well, many people buy bread, even though it's just flour, water etc.. hardly worth the price. But it's only when it's pizza or Mark & Spencer meal deals that people mention it's cheaper to make your own. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Personally I like the milano's pizza's. I like a lighter pizza if I do decide to have one. I reckon most pizza are horrific health wise though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Ian Whelan wrote: »
    Ok, new rule, no commentary at all is permitted on bargain alerts, that's it, do not moan/comment at all.
    Thank christ that is not a rule or people would not have fair warning. I was going to get one reading the first post but now won't bother. Thanks for all the warnings.
    Look, it's 50% off so its a bargain.
    That's a pretty poor rule of thumb, but strangely lots of people seem to have the same notion and determine the value of a product on what its initial attempted/alleged sale value was -rather than comparing it to similar products. The marketing men know this and are riding people senseless with these bogus reductions (junk mail pizza companies being the biggest offenders).

rubadub wrote: »
    Thank christ that is not a rule or people would not have fair warning. I was going to get one reading the first post but now won't bother. Thanks for all the warnings.

That's a pretty poor rule of thumb, but strangely lots of people seem to have the same notion and determine the value of a product on what its initial attempted/alleged sale value was -rather than comparing it to similar products. The marketing men know this and are riding people senseless with these bogus reductions (junk mail pizza companies being the biggest offenders).

As I said say if it cost 5.01 yesterday and 2.50 today - it's a bargain at 50% off, I also said I think they are only worth 2.50 but the point is they are half price.

• Advertisement
Advertisement