Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Blind Pig, Thomas Street

• 23-05-2012 1:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭

Has anyone here checked out this place yet? I went there on Sat nite after I saw on the Limerick Post that a Paradise Lost tribute band called "Lost Paradise" were playing there. As none of my friends in Limerick are into metal I decided to go there on my own and wear all black so that I'd fit in with the "metaller" clientele.
    I found the bar staff quite friendly and I loved the facy that they had good German beer (Fischer lager) and Porterhouse stout on tap there. Was the first time I seen Porterhouse beer on tap in Limerick. Was a bit disappointed that the band had no lead singer on the night although they played really well (and I loved the crazy facial expressions that the drummer was making).
    I'd definately go there again although it will be tough to persuade any of my "set-in-their-ways" buddies to go:pac:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

A Paradise Lost tribute band with no singer?

I am not sure if you are being serious with the "I decided to go there on my own and wear all black so that I'd fit in with the "metaller" clientele."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Azphyxi8

Lost Paradise pulled out and didn't play on the night. Dark Matter were the band without a singer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Have not been there, Keep meaning to give the place a visit
    but don't really go Clubbing and Pubbing any more.

From looking at photos some of the crowd appear to be like
    the old Quinns crowd. So hopefully its the kind of place where you
    could go in during the day time for the likes of Tea and Toasties where
    you may not necessarily be drinking booze until the evening.

Back in the day I'd head into town on a Saturday morning, get Tea, Soup and a Toastie in Quinns, Wander around the town for a bit, then back to the Pub for more tea maybe a pint. Home for Supper, back into the Pub at 19:00 and
    then head to termites after eleven, wait hours for Joe to get you a Taxi Home afterwards. There was a constant stream of people you would know and chat to back then and different groups would inter mingle together. Great fun at the time.

~B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

....... although it will be tough to persuade any of my "set-in-their-ways" buddies to go:pac:

Just tell them in the taxi on the way in that its a piano bar and martinis type pub .

- Then when they are in the door just hide their jackets behind the biggest amp in the place so they can't leave then sit in front of same so you cant hear their dumb questions and have to explain yourself.

Works every time, my friend Norman is a regular now and he only really likes bow ties, the clarinet and the complete works of Chopin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

It is a good spot.

Was a pity that Lost Paradise did not play as they are an excellent cover band. Check out my vote from earlier this week in the album of the week thread in the rock/matal forum. :D

• Advertisement

bullets wrote: »
    Have not been there, Keep meaning to give the place a visit
    but don't really go Clubbing and Pubbing any more.

From looking at photos some of the crowd appear to be like
    the old Quinns crowd. So hopefully its the kind of place where you
    could go in during the day time for the likes of Tea and Toasties where
    you may not necessarily be drinking booze until the evening.

Back in the day I'd head into town on a Saturday morning, get Tea, Soup and a Toastie in Quinns, Wander around the town for a bit, then back to the Pub for more tea maybe a pint. Home for Supper, back into the Pub at 19:00 and
    then head to termites after eleven, wait hours for Joe to get you a Taxi Home afterwards. There was a constant stream of people you would know and chat to back then and different groups would inter mingle together. Great fun at the time.

~B

Quins and Termights :D what a great combination that was.

Lovely people in Quins day or night, and the likes of Christie behind the bar to have banter with. Best pub that was ever in Limerick imho. Plus the had the Sisters Of Mercy in the jukebox.:)

Then onto Termights (and of the locations where it popped up, the Savoy was my favourite home for Termights although had some good nights in the High Stool as well) for sticky floors and great music.

Then down to the Lobster Pot after Termights.:D

The Pig is a bit like Quinns/Termights on certain nights alright, but it can also be very like the indie proto hipster crowd that some of the later versions of termights attracted.

Go in to the Pig when a band like Dirty Diamonds are playing and it is like being transported back in time to the Limerick crowds from the early 90's.

Speaking of the Savoy, would you be of the age group that remembers the free live gigs every Saturday in the Savoy? Saw many the band during those weekly free gigs during the months I would stay in Ireland each year. The Cranberries, Therapy?, Kerbdog, and scores of unsigned Irish metal bands. Good times.:) Was not long after that Therapy? toured their Troublegum album and played a full show in the old Theatre Royal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Azphyxi8 wrote: »
    Lost Paradise pulled out and didn't play on the night. Dark Matter were the band without a singer.

Oh right:confused: I was well on the booze at that stage so I wasn't that tuned in:( They were still good though all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Savage spot.
    Lost Paradise had to pull out due to grave family circumstances, but will definitely be back to the Blind Pig in the future. We've done a few gigs with them at this stage, and they're f00kin' deadly.

Thank you for the kind words! As for our drummers facial expressions... it gets frightening after a while. :pac:

Kess73 wrote: »
    Then down to the Lobster Pot after Termights.:D
    Speaking of the Savoy, would you be of the age group that remembers the free live gigs every Saturday in the Savoy? Saw many the band during those weekly free gigs during the months I would stay in Ireland each year. The Cranberries, Therapy?, Kerbdog, and scores of unsigned Irish metal bands. Good times.:) Was not long after that Therapy? toured their Troublegum album and played a full show in the old Theatre Royal.

MMmmmm Lobster Pot garlic cheese and chips.
    Saw the Cranberries in the Theatre Royal, I missed Theraphy,
    Think I saw the Hitchers in Costellos.

The Blind Pig appears to have a nice varying crowd. How's its Juke Box ?
    (or does it have one?)

~B

the blind pig gotta be a rip off the hungry pig from fair city surely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,762 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

Either way, will be there Sat night for the first time :D

the blind pig gotta be a rip off the hungry pig from fair city surely

Thought it was a nice clever name for :
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speakeasy

~B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

31 Thomas St and Bourke's are now my two faves for drinking in the city. The Blind Pig and Dr. John's have some ace beers and that free gig that Bourke's put on every Thursday is full of lovely people. Hope they both do well. I've found myself much more amenable to going out in the city lately.

Raiser wrote: »
    Just tell them in the taxi on the way in that its a piano bar and martinis type pub .

- Then when they are in the door just hide their jackets behind the biggest amp in the place so they can't leave then sit in front of same so you cant hear their dumb questions and have to explain yourself.

Works every time, my friend Norman is a regular now and he only really likes bow ties, the clarinet and the complete works of Chopin.

To really seal the deal I could tell them that Joe Jackson was playing there that evening:pac:

On a more serious note though, the likes of Nancy's, Smith's and the Icon are about as adventurous as they get on the rare occasions that they do go out:( That means I'm pretty much on my own when it comes to sating my craving for rock and metal music in the city. It's something I never really done before in Limerick up till now so I'm a total noob on the scene. I could try and mix in with those who have been on the scene for years. The only probs are that I'm pretty shy and also they would probably be saying to themselves "who the hell is this lone randomer, appearing out of nowhere trying to muscle in on our clique?"

That means I'm pretty much on my own when it comes to sating my craving for rock and metal music in the city. It's something I never really done before in Limerick up till now so I'm a total noob on the scene. I could try and mix in with those who have been on the scene for years. The only probs are that I'm pretty shy and also they would probably be saying to themselves "who the hell is this lone randomer, appearing out of nowhere trying to muscle in on our clique?"

I think the most awesome thing about the metal scene (Limerick in particular) is that the community is so friendly. All the regulars from the metal spots over the years, High Stool, Bakers, Blind Pig etc. always welcome new listeners into the fold, it's great to see new people attending gigs.

So whatever you do, don't feel shy in popping into any metal gig, we're not judgemental.....Hell, we can't afford to be.... :pac:

Warpath (Dublin), Zealot Cult (Limerick) and Skewered (Dublin) are playing in the Blind Pig this Saturday night. Definitely going to be an immense gig, feel free to pop in! :D Details are here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,762 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

roast wrote: »

Warpath (Dublin), Zealot Cult (Limerick) and Skewered (Dublin) are playing in the Blind Pig this Saturday night. Definitely going to be an immense gig, feel free to pop in! :D Details are here.

Am torn between heading to this and the great as ever eurovision :rolleyes:

I think the most awesome thing about the metal scene (Limerick in particular) is that the community is so friendly. All the regulars from the metal spots over the years, High Stool, Bakers, Blind Pig etc. always welcome new listeners into the fold, it's great to see new people attending gigs.

So whatever you do, don't feel shy in popping into any metal gig, we're not judgemental.....Hell, we can't afford to be.... :pac:

Sounds real cool I might just head in there after 10.30pm and check it out. Nothing like a few good beers and a bit o' rock music to finish the night. For me it certainly beats the hell out of the likes of Smyths.

Good band. For some reason I always mix them up with Twisted Wrath (who ended up having to pull out of the Siege of Limerick this year:()

Kess73 wrote: »
    Good band. For some reason I always mix them up with Twisted Wrath (who ended up having to pull out of the Siege of Limerick this year:()

Both crackin' bands! Shame about Twisted Wrath alright. No doubt they'll be back to Limrock soon though.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Kalel

Great to see and hear that the Live Music scene in Limerick is picking up again. Haven't been to the pig yet but from what I have heard and read here I will have to head there the next night I am out on the town.
    I haven't seen so many Live Music venues and bands in Limerick since the late 80's early 90's.

• Advertisement

I'm just waiting till I get a night off so I can see Shardborne \m/

seachto7 wrote: »
    I'm just waiting till I get a night off so I can see Shardborne \m/

My favourite Irish band, ever. Effin' amazing musicians.

My favourite Irish band, ever. Effin' amazing musicians.

And nice lads to boot. Did some gigs where Ciaran was doing sound. A gentleman and a sh*thot guitarist.......

seachto7 wrote: »
    And nice lads to boot. Did some gigs where Ciaran was doing sound. A gentleman and a sh*thot guitarist.......

Absolutely! Who do you play with, if you don't mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭mazzy maz

Love the pig, great spot for gigs. Have had some unreal nights in there, that fischers is rocket fuel.

My own mob are having our EP launch in there the june bank holiday sunday if anyone into their metal fancies popping in.

2vufvw1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭if6was9

I do sound in the pig most nights, I'm Ciaran from Shardborne.

I like it- it's the kind of spot we needed in Limerick for gigs. Crowds are getting smaller so the best solution is a smaller venue rather than have bands playing to a big, near empty room every night. The beer selection is ace and the crowd is very friendly there.

They've changed the layout recently. the basement is open just for gigs and the ground floor is now a full time rock bar, the gay bar is gone.

Some craicing metal gigs coming up- Warpath on the 26th with Zealot Cult. Tera melos June 1st (labelmates with russian Circle and ASIWYFA) and the Three Hour Ceasefire Launch on the 3rd June.

Advertisement