Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aircraft over Bunnyconnellan

Options
  • 23-05-2012 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭

Was watching this morning as this flew over several times, moving a few hundred metres north each time;

picture.php?albumid=2132&pictureid=12935

It was at about 200 feet, except when it flew over the mountain. Any ideas what it was up to anyone?

TT

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Ilovelucy

It's a Survey plane. Was over Ballina last weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Mayo Miss

There was a plane in the Kilmaine/Roundfort area about 5 weeks ago too. Back and over the same lines for nearly an hour.

There was a helicopter in March before that doing the same thing.

IMG_4934.jpg
    IMG_4928.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

Ilovelucy wrote: »
    It's a Survey plane. Was over Ballina last weekend.

Surveying.....? Sceptic Tanks?, fly tipping?, bog digging?, rocks?, traffic?, cycle routes? (:)), hedge cutting?, burning?, properties for the household charge?, illegal fornication?......

You may pick from the list.

TT

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Neworder79

There is a power line survey done for the ESB every few years. The plane may have been part of a geological survey (for potential gas fracking) happening at the moment.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

The helicopter picture is interesting - the booms to either side suggest cameras spaced apart in order take stereo photographs, possibly to create topographical maps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Ilovelucy

What would the tank be doubting?

http://www.ilas.ie/notification-of-an-airborne-survey-mayo-and-roscommon/ Here is a link to survey currently being carried out. Probably not it though as it doesn't include the area around Bonniconlon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

Thats the one. The registration number matches. I would think they have either moved the survey area or it needs a bl00dy big area to turn around!

Thank you Lucy.

TT

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Mayo Miss

If they were making maps surely they would be covering all ground and not back and over the same line again and again and again.

I hope it's not fracking related.

(Maybe they were looking for an alien landing site........)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Mayo Miss wrote: »
    If they were making maps surely they would be covering all ground and not back and over the same line again and again and again.

I hope it's not fracking related.

(Maybe they were looking for an alien landing site........)

the alien landing site is in roscommon, some mad people think some mountain in roscommon had a space ship land on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Paramedic030

As to the plane in the first posting, my house is in Lacken and they were going mad over the bay, flying damn close to the cliffs circling the bay many times. I guess it was some kinda pilot's drill.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Binka

We had a blue and white small aircraft circling the area over where we live near lough mask the last weekend in April. About 2 weeks ago a fella knocked on the door to sell us an aerial pic of the houses. He had a picture of all my neighbours houses in his car too. I asked him if it was the plane I saw and he said it was and that the photograher has been doing in for 25 years.
    It was a really good clear aerial shot of the house.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

From what I heard the plane is scanning/surveying the area for mineral or gas reserves. It has to fly low to get the imaging to work.

Not so sure it will be a good thing for us if they find anything!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

http://www.airborne-survey.com/Mayo_Home.html

could this be the one?

its been flying over Frenchpark area too, i guess it does when its turning.

does get quite annoying seeing it, every half hour of so on Saturdays usually.

Advertisement