Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Insurance Policy - Help!

Options
  • 23-05-2012 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I would really appreciate some advice on how to deal with a particular situation with AVIVA.
    I have had a home insurance policy with them since April 2010.
    The policy was up for renewal in April just gone. I check the details and noticed some errors. I called them to rectify.
    One issue I had was with the window locks. They said these must be key operated. I explained that the property has sash windows with a traditional sash lock, but not a key lock. I never got an answer back on this point but I would assume by their silence that if I ever went to make a claim, I wouldn’t be covered.
    They also told me that I should have a three Lever Mortise Dead Lock on the front door. I told them that I don’t and never had! Again I heard nothing for a few days. Then I checked my bank account and noticed that they have taken 2 payments this month (not the first time they’ve done this). Still can’t get an answer from them on this!
    Then, the icing! Just got this email:
    “We wish to advise you that as the main door doesn't have Three Lever Mortise Dead Locks, this property doesn't meet our underwriting criteria, hence will be cancelled from inception and a full refund will be processed shortly.”
    I just called them and they told me that they cancelled my cover on the 10th of May and they never told me!
    What the!!!?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭pauld

Hi, my view is that this sharp practice. The legal rules around waiver and estppoel woul apply in this case.simply meaning, they were in possession of the facts that they relied on to withdraw cover prior to accepting / receiving paymentnof premium thus waiving their rights.

However the problem you face is that you are currently uninsured, following the companys/ FSO complaints procedure will take many months which clearly does not afford you the protection you need.

I suggest you procure insurance elsewhere however mak a complaint, make life awkward for them

• Registered Users Posts: 8 JPKY

That is very intersting Paul- thank you for the reply

• Registered Users Posts: 8 JPKY

Hi Paul,

I have taken out a new policy. Thanks for that advice.

The situation now revolves around why they cancelled my policy, leaving me uninsured and exposed for 2 weeks without my knowledge.

The reason they did this is because I neither have a house alarm nor the required front door lock. For 2010 and 2011 their records show that my property had an alarm fitted. For 2012, I have informed them that this is not the case (and I never had an alarm), first verbally on the phone on the 10th of May and then in an email on the 15th May. (I think at the time I took out the policy I was advised of a discount for an alarm. The house was a shell/renovation project that had to be totally gutted and rebuilt at that time (I only moved in October 2011, a year and a half later) and I would have explained this situation to them at the time. It appears to me that they were happy to give me a discount on the basis that I would eventually get an alarm, knowing that I wasn't really covered at that moment and time. Anyway, I didn't think about it again until it was mentioned to me on the phone. It is not detailed on my policy schedule as a condition (that i can see) in my insurance renewal documents...

But back to the other issue;
    I have been told over the phone on two separate occasions that my policy was cancelled on 10th of May. I heard this for the first time yesterday (23rd May).

They took a payment from me on the 16th of May and I have an email from them on the 15th of May explaining various details of my policy to me- at both times they would have known that I neither had a house alarm nor a three lever mortise deadlock on the front door.

Would the legal rules around waiver and estppoel apply here do you think?

They definetly cancelled it on the 10th becuse I couldn't believe it and I made them repeat it a few times- but alas no record, it was on the phone (though they do record their calls)! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Insurance Works

I think in this case you should really count your lucky stars here that nothing serious happened whilst all this mess was going on, insurance is sold on the basis of you providing them with information and if it is incorrect that you must inform them. This can leave people exposed, they may have given the correct information and it still manages to get lost in translation somewhere.

One point that i think you should be aware of, had something drastic happened and you being exposed, it would have been yourself against your insurance company, however had you taken the policy out through a broker you would then have a second avenue open to yourself in the event of the insurance company declining your claim. I would always advise people to purchase insurance through a broker and not to do it directly.

Hope this helps

Advertisement