Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VHI won't pay!

Options
  • 23-05-2012 4:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Recently I have had to have 2 surgerys in england. We got prior approval for the first from VHI upto the cost of €19000. That was all ok they told us that we would have to pay ourselves and they would refund the money back in 48hrs. That was all ok till I had the first opp over and then need another opp without knowing this before we left for england. Got home and sent in all reciepts. They got back to us and said they would cover upto €7000 for the second opp. However a few weeks went by and still not payment, contacted them again and they said they needed letterheaded paper from the hospital I attended. Got that and faxed it to them. Then one day we randomly get a cheque for €3000 without knowing what its for. So they still owed us for €23000. Its been 3 and a half months since my opp and still no payment has been fully made. They have now told us they paid us the amount that they said they would pay. BUT all we got was €3000!!! They are stillmaking a ig deal about it now.

Anyone any ideas on what to do, if I should contact someone else or what becasue I broke and cannot afford to pay the loan I had to take out to pay for the opperations in the first place.

Please Help!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

VHI are covered by the Financial Services Ombudsman which means you can lodge a complaint with them.

There's a process to follow, which is set out on their website (here). I'm not completely sure on the timings (i.e. can you make a complaint now, or do you have to wait to get a final response from VHI before making a complaint), so I'd suggest calling the Ombudsman's office in the morning and getting their assistance with that aspect of it.

It would also help if you have a copy of every letter to and from VHI and a note of all the telephone conversations you had with them. If you don't have them or can't recall dates, etc don't fret, because the Ombudsman will probably ask VHI for the information anyway, but it can't hurt to give them as much information as you have.

I hope that helps, and I hope it gets sorted out quickly for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

NuMarvel wrote: »
    VHI are covered by the Financial Services Ombudsman which means you can lodge a complaint with them.

There's a process to follow, which is set out on their website (here). I'm not completely sure on the timings (i.e. can you make a complaint now, or do you have to wait to get a final response from VHI before making a complaint), so I'd suggest calling the Ombudsman's office in the morning and getting their assistance with that aspect of it.

It would also help if you have a copy of every letter to and from VHI and a note of all the telephone conversations you had with them. If you don't have them or can't recall dates, etc don't fret, because the Ombudsman will probably ask VHI for the information anyway, but it can't hurt to give them as much information as you have.

I hope that helps, and I hope it gets sorted out quickly for you.

Complaint needs to be put in to VHI formally and be completed before FSO will even glance at the case so OP start a complaint with VHI about this.

You should also request copy of all notes and correspondance they have under the data protection act and they should have notes of all coversations with you and would be interesting for you to see how they have noted your conversations. Small cost of €6.35 max they can charge for this.

Good deal of money involved so obviously dont let it go which you wont do but follow through. Definitely get talking to someone higher up the chain in there to look after you as you have been given the run around so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Kennie1

Just to add to NuMarvel's post...

There is an agreed process to go through first before you can complain to the FSO. First you need to write a detailed letter of your complaint to the VHI.

They have to respond within a set period of time (10 days) There reply will detail their formal complaints process and the time frame within which they will resolve the complaint.

At the end of their complaints process, they will then send you a letter of their findings and this letter will state that if you are still unhappy you have the right of to escalate your complaint to the FSO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭thebourke

i would also contact the consumer show that eddie hobbs is on...

Advertisement