Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do I keep getting spam emails from BOI impersonators. Can it be sorted!!!

Options
  • 23-05-2012 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

I keep getting emails to ask me :

1. We have suspended your account. Send details
    2. We need to set up a new deposit account. Send details.

my anti virus is up to date. Is there a way for BOI to stop these people and are they a virus???

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

It's not a virus, it's a scam, same as the Nigerian 419 scam. I get scammers trying to access my Paypal a/c with similar phony e-mails all the time, It's happening day in, day out with lots of financial institutions the world over. There is nothing BOI can do about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Pat

Hi happyclapper,

Thanks for getting in touch. Unfortunately, coylemj is correct, we would have no definite way of stopping these emails being sent to you as we aren't the people sending them. We will never send emails to customers requesting you to provide your personal or banking information (account details, login details, etc). If you ever receive emails, phone calls or are asked for any of your personal banking details in an unusual manner, we would ask you to report it immediately. You can find more about keeping yourself secure here

If you still have the emails, we would ask you to forward them on to 365security@boimail.com.

Thanks
    Pat

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭happyclapper

Thanks Pat. Is info@boimail.com a legit source??

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

A sender's email address can be forged very easily. So while the sender email may be legitimate in that the email address exists, the mail you have your inbox that's apparently from info@boimail.com may not be.

You can verify a mail's authenticity by looking at the routing in the mail headers. It's a somewhat technical thing and absolutely not necessary for detecting phishing scams. It's much much safer to just assume it's bogus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Pat

Hi,

info@boimail.com is an email address that we would use to send promotional info for new or existing Bank of Ireland products and services. But as I said above, we will never ask you for any personal details.

Any promotional material we send you will also give you the option to unsubscribe. If you would like to unsubscribe to these promotional emails, you can click on the unsubscribe link at the bottom of the email.

If for any reason you think an email may be fake, we would always urge you to ignore the content and forward it on to our security department.

Thanks again
    Pat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭who is this

A lot of replies don't seem to actually fix your problem since you obviously are smart enough not to fall for the emails. So the only advice you need is just use a better email service.

Gmail for example. In simple terms, if the address it appears to have come from doesn't match the server that actually sent it, Gmail automatically marks it as spam and you won't see it, no matter how legitimate the contents may appear.

Trying to trick my friends with all sorts of ridiculous (but benign) emails has shown this over and over again. Gmail put them all in spam never to see the light of day. Plus it can also be used to fetch and send mail from your current address, and will sort the spam/scams out of the rest.

Just a suggestion

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭kampik

Just to update this thread. This is still active threath. Just received an email like this from info@boimail.com. Forwarded it to 365security@boimail.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi kampik,

Thanks for the update. Our Security Team will investigate this as soon as they receive your email. Please note, the email address is now 365security@boi.com .

Thanks
    Tara 

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭hootietootie

I just got another spam email as well, will forward it on

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭kampik

Hi kampik,

Thanks for the update. Our Security Team will investigate this as soon as they receive your email. Please note, the email address is now 365security@boi.com .

Thanks
    Tara 
    Hi, you should update BOI website http://www.365online.com/online365/spring/security for the new email address. The old one worked as well. Received confirmation from the new one tho.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi kampik,

Thanks for letting us know. We'll ask the Web Team to update it.

Thanks
    Tara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭JellyBeans92

Sorry if I'm reactivating a zombie thread, but I was unsure where this should go:

I've just received a spam/scam mail from PayPal using the address "PayPal <service@boimail.com>;"
    Figured I should bring it to people's attention
    :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Paula C

Hi JellyBeans92,

Thank you for letting us know, we would ask you to forward this email on to our security team for review @ 365security@boi.com.

If we can assist you with anything else please do not hesitate to contact us.

Thanks,
    Paula C

Advertisement