Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bleedin Moochers !

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    This hasn't gone as expected at all, has it four18?

True, the story seems to have taken an interesting turn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

solicitors could be in dire straits
    davet82 wrote: »
    thats a bigger fib than the OP ;)

I dunno. I think the bassist was a lawyer before he joined.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

It's been a while since I've had any religious instruction, but I'm pretty sure Jesus would've fed them regardless.

So that seems like the most Christian thing to do: just feed them. Since you're working for a Christian organisation, I'd advise that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

four18 wrote: »
    I do 2 days a week voluntry work in a free food drop in centre near Church St. This is meant to be a hot meal for homeless people on a daily basis and there is no charge. As this is community service order for a previous charge, I am familiar with the local folk who work in the nearby courts,garda stations etc.
    In the last week I have seen solicitors, 2 garda, 2 court clerks and a few others from well paid jobs coming in wearing an anorak or hoodie standing in the Q for a free meal. I would love to lift them out of it and tell them to f off but its my temper that got me into truble so I cant really say anything. I would love to shame them, Any Ideas ?

People who work in places like that generally have a duty of confidentiality, which you have come dangerously close to breaching.:(

If you have doubts about whether some recipients of the benefits being dispensed there are deserving, you should mention it to your superiors, not blabber skewed opinions on the Internet and cast blanket aspersions on solicitors, Gardai and court officials. You should perhaps concentrate on developing a sense of shame for the actions that got you where you are rather than wishing to shame those you presume to judge.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Just be glad you are able to work in a place like that rather than being in jail.:):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Yes, I am on social welfare, I get rent allowance, I got into trouble in court, I got 200 hours community service, I am doing it at the above place. Did I miss anything ?
    One thing:

Do you know anything about these peoples' personal financial situations? Debts? Mortgages? Families? Medical expenses? Drug addictions? Gambling habits?

I doubt anyone who can afford to feed themselves is going to show up in the line because they couldn't be bothered cooking, especially knowing that at least some of the people serving are on community service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Gurgle wrote: »
    One thing:

Do you know anything about these peoples' personal financial situations? Debts? Mortgages? Families? Medical expenses? Drug addictions? Gambling habits?

I doubt anyone who can afford to feed themselves is going to show up in the line because they couldn't be bothered cooking, especially knowing that at least some of the people serving are on community service.

This person speaks sense.

The OP? Less so...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I think it's clear the OP just wanted to have a bitch about these people who he feels treated him unfairly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

OP's only miffed because the tips are sh1t.

I think you're the real hero of this piece four18 - I don't want to know about these moochers. I wanna know your story - what did you do that led you to have to serve up food to these clearly well-off people?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

You can be a solicitor/gardai/court clerk and still be homeless you know :cool:
    Indeed. You can be wealthy, retired, with 19 or more propertys and find yourself homeless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭AskMyChocolate

davet82 wrote: »
    thats a bigger fib than the OP ;)

I'm afraid if you think there aren't solicitors out there in dire circumstances then you are woefully misinformed. No business has been hit as badly in the last five years (restaurant, possible exception) as the conveyancing business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

I'm afraid if you think there aren't solicitors out there in dire circumstances then you are woefully misinformed. No business has been hit as badly in the last five years (restaurant, possible exception) as the conveyancing business.

so there is justice in the world... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

Do many farmers frequent the centre?

I bet they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Earnings have dropped off for sole practitioners, a drop of 70% per annum in some cases. I know plenty of solicitors who are unemployed, even law graduates with the FE1s are finding very difficult to secure an apprenticeship.

Guards likewise have suffered big pay cuts. A lot are young people with families mortgages etc and they're clearly struggling. So it is feasible that some of these people may genuinely need charitable assistance.

Earnings have dropped off for sole practitioners, a drop of 70% per annum in some cases. I know plenty of solicitors who are unemployed, even law graduates with the FE1s are finding very difficult to secure an apprenticeship.

Guards likewise have suffered big pay cuts. A lot are young people with families mortgages etc and they're clearly struggling. So it is feasible that some of these people may genuinely need charitable assistance.

Exactly. Couple this with the fact that a huge percentage of people meet their partners through college/work you could easily be talking about families who have suffered two paycuts/ redundancies and have a mortgage based on two incomes.

They also may be on a variable rate mortgage which would have decimated their disposable income. Could have young kids etc.

In some cases, basically, a perfect storm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭OneIdea

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned that maybe these guards etc... are volunteers themselves in some form or other, would the OP begrudge them a meal for the work they may have done in the area?

Disappointing lack of OP indignation the past few pages. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

I think the OP has a point. For many homeless folks, that lunchtime meal is the only one they get all day.

I understand that solicitors, gardai, court clerks etc. may have faced pay cuts, but saying that they need to resort to homeless shelters for a meal is a serious stretch. And if the OP recognised several of each, then there are probably several more of each that he did not know. If significant numbers were that badly off, then it would be all over the news.

I can understand the OP is particularly ticked off because these were the very same people who were instrumental in passing judgement on him, and now that he is apparently serving his punishment, he sees them effectively stealing from the homeless who really need these meals.

I remember in college it was a cool thing among the hippie / pothead crew to go to Cork Penny Dinners for lunchtime, and then head home after college in Daddy's merc. Never really thought much about it at the time, but now it kind of ticks me off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

Well done OP,those guards were undercover and now you have blown it for them!

Happy Now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Says a lot for the quality of the nosh. What's eh.. the exact address again?

• Advertisement

Gandhi wrote: »
    I think the OP has a point. For many homeless folks, that lunchtime meal is the only one they get all day.

I understand that solicitors, gardai, court clerks etc. may have faced pay cuts, but saying that they need to resort to homeless shelters for a meal is a serious stretch. And if the OP recognised several of each, then there are probably several more of each that he did not know. If significant numbers were that badly off, then it would be all over the news.

I can understand the OP is particularly ticked off because these were the very same people who were instrumental in passing judgement on him, and now that he is apparently serving his punishment, he sees them effectively stealing from the homeless who really need these meals.

I remember in college it was a cool thing among the hippie / pothead crew to go to Cork Penny Dinners for lunchtime, and then head home after college in Daddy's merc. Never really thought much about it at the time, but now it kind of ticks me off.

Oh, I've no doubt that there are people out there who take advantage, but it really isn't a stretch to believe that there are significant numbers who are barely getting by, in arrears, etc.

And, as for the news, there's barely been anything else on it for the last three years.:confused:

Br. Kevin's been on it himself, together with representatives of the St. V de P, talking about the huge increase in numbers applying for help, and the new social demograph making up the working poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

IF this is true its a disgrace (Joe ;) ) and why the OP is there has no bearing on that. If you give money to the day center you want it to go to feeding the genuinely in need, that center is there to help people in dire straights, a garda with a paycut or a solicitor (who would be working if their at the four courts) is not in need of free food, the homeless guy with the severe substance abuse problem or the foreign national that can;t access the benefits system is no matter if their problems are self inflicted or not.

Oh, I've no doubt that there are people out there who take advantage, but it really isn't a stretch to believe that there are significant numbers who are barely getting by, in arrears, etc.

But if you look at garda salaries including allowances if they have debts high enough to prevent them feeding themselves they shoud be considering bankruptcy or handing back the keys, the working poor aren;t garda etc, its the cleaner earning 8.65 an hour or the guy holding up a sign or leafleting

But if you look at garda salaries including allowances if they have debts high enough to prevent them feeding themselves they shoud be considering bankruptcy or handing back the keys, the working poor aren;t garda etc, its the cleaner earning 8.65 an hour or the guy holding up a sign or leafleting

Not necessarily these people could be getting some SW allowances with their pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

In the last week I have seen solicitors, 2 garda, 2 court clerks and a few others from well paid jobs coming in wearing an anorak or hoodie

you know solicitors, 2 garda and court clerks... well thats the story i want to hear....

hondasam wrote: »
    Not necessarily these people could be getting some SW allowances with their pay.

True, in some cases a low paid job and benefits can actually be a pretty decent living wage, however these benefits could also be accessed by the professions mentioned earlier if there was genuine need (arising from limited income, not huge debts which is why i mentioned bankruptcy)

True, in some cases a low paid job and benefits can actually be a pretty decent living wage, however these benefits could also be accessed by the professions mentioned earlier if there was genuine need (arising from limited income, not huge debts which is why i mentioned bankruptcy)

I don't think a guard can keep his/her job if they are declared bankrupt.

hondasam wrote: »
    I don't think a guard can keep his/her job if they are declared bankrupt.

Really? I though that just applied to TDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

A convicted criminal begrudging Gardaí grabbing some free munch :pac: You do realise that your court costs alone, the judge, the solicitors, whatever crime you did, probably cost more than all the free dinners they'll eat for the next 5 years? Plus, they're aren't stealing the food from anyone. I doubt very much that there's not a surplus at the end of every day.

Mmh I think your right after quick internet search, TBH though in Dublin during the boom the country Garda landlord is a stereotype with an element of truth so it doesn't suprise me if some members now have massive negative equity due to greed (not saying all cases!).

token101 wrote: »
    A convicted criminal begrudging Gardaí grabbing some free munch :pac: You do realise that your court costs alone, the judge, the solicitors, whatever crime you did, probably cost more than all the free dinners they'll eat for the next 5 years? Plus, they're aren't stealing the food from anyone. I doubt very much that there's not a surplus at the end of every day.

And he got punished for it.

Thats bull**** when my OH and myself donated money to the cappachuns we had limited means ourselves but it was done to help people who were worse off than ourselves not some freeloader, if you've walked past cork street you can see the majority of the people outside really are on the bottom rung of society, the food and time that those 'free muchers' take up could be have been used to help somebody really in need by a service that i'm sure is struggling with the increases in poverty over the last number of years/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

I haven't been in a major city in a while. Is there a real problem with homelessness and hunger in Dublin these days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

OP you should stop looking around you and serve those dinners faster. I was over 30 minutes waiting today before I got served. I was nearly late back for work:mad:

Suggestion: set up an express queue for people in a hurry to get back to work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

micropig wrote: »
    OP you should stop looking around you and serve those dinners faster. I was over 30 minutes waiting today before I got served. I was nearly late back for work:mad:

Suggestion: set up an express queue for people in a hurry to get back to work
    Express queue me hole, get a bike OP and start doing workplace deliveries, use your bleedin initiative. That would also solve the problem of moochers in the queue - they could just phone in their order.Non sarcy answer - after reading the "things stingy people do" thread, nothing would surprise me OP, there's plenty of folk who's love for a free meal would outweigh their embarasment at free-loading, if they have any embarrasment in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

OP why don't you tell us all how you have not had as much as one chip from the place you are doing the CS, and you can stay up on your high horse.

A lot of professional people out there about to lose their house if they miss one more mortgage payment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

bluewolf wrote: »
    you post complaining about moochers and use the chance to get free advertising for the place you work for

They're not 'turning' a profit.. what's your beef exactly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

More than one place in Dublin does this, some linked to a religious order, some not. Great work done.

Can't mention any (small) charity names on boards though, one of its little 'quirks'..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Amalgam wrote: »
    More than one place in Dublin does this, some linked to a religious order, some not. Great work done.

Can't mention any (small) charity names on boards though, one of its little 'quirks'..
    so now the Clergy and hangers-on are mooching free meals! Outrageous. The fact you are praising the queue-mooching God botherers is just too much. They should be ashamed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 460 ✭✭four18

Just miserable more like, not homeless just mean

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

How do you know that they're solicitors/garda/clerics/etc? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

How do you know that they're solicitors/garda/clerics/etc? :confused:

Clerks Jen, not clerics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

Clerks Jen, not clerics.

Oopsie :D

Blonde moment and I'm not even blonde :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 216 ✭✭Tommy Dillon

I do 2 days a week voluntry work in a free food drop in centre near Church St. This is meant to be a hot meal for homeless people on a daily basis and there is no charge. As this is community service order for a previous charge, I am familiar with the local folk who work in the nearby courts,garda stations etc.
    In the last week I have seen solicitors, 2 garda, 2 court clerks and a few others from well paid jobs coming in wearing an anorak or hoodie standing in the Q for a free meal. I would love to lift them out of it and tell them to f off but its my temper that got me into truble so I cant really say anything. I would love to shame them, Any Ideas ?

Lets be honest pal, its not voluntary work its community service. you would much prefer to be lyin on the couch havin a beer and watchin the footyl. stop trying to make yourself look like Ned Flanders.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭sparksfly

OP why don't you tell us all how you have not had as much as one chip from the place you are doing the CS, and you can stay up on your high horse.

A lot of professional people out there about to lose their house if they miss one more mortgage payment.

Oh really, the highest paid legal professionals in Europe cant pay their mortgages, cops that can retire at 55 on full pension, paid for on borrowed money- my heart bleeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭RaRaRasputin

It doesn't matter why the OP is working there, it's just about some people taking services that are provided for those in dire need. It would piss me off as well to be confronted with such crap and not being able to say something about it.

Why did everyone gang up on the OP? He might have done something wrong but is serving his sentence and he never complained about it. I bet many people who complain here wouldn't even do that but whinge around.

OP, just bite your tongue when those people queue up again, it's not worth making enemies like that. If you tell your superiors they will probably tell you the same because they don't want trouble. And don't let yourself be wound up by the nasty comments here.

It doesn't matter why the OP is working there, it's just about some people taking services that are provided for those in dire need. It would piss me off as well to be confronted with such crap and not being able to say something about it.

Why did everyone gang up on the OP? He might have done something wrong but is serving his sentence and he never complained about it. I bet many people who complain here wouldn't even do that but whinge around.

OP, just bite your tongue when those people queue up again, it's not worth making enemies like that. If you tell your superiors they will probably tell you the same because they don't want trouble. And don't let yourself be wound up by the nasty comments here.

It doesn't matter to the op who is eating there either, it's not his job to monitor or judge people who do eat there.
    People did not gang up on him, he was not truthful about why he was bitching about guards, solicitors and court clerks, how convenient it was only people he had a grievance with who eat there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

i know a girl who is definitely a moocher... she'll sit there and let everyone else pay for her and never make an attempt to pay for her share, she often asks for people to buy her stuff.... she relies on her good looks and she is obsessed with herself (she is good looking but not absolutely stunning either) she has at least 400 pictures of herself posing on her facebook page.... wait til she hits middle age.... she will be in for a shock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭McCrack

Do you or anyone else here actually think serving members of the Gardai, practising solicitors and court clerks can be found in a homeless shelter in Dublin City Centre scabbing free food and also amongst the very people they arrest/prosecute and defend?

You're nuts and this thread is stupid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

i know a girl who is definitely a moocher... she'll sit there and let everyone else pay for her and never make an attempt to pay for her share, she often asks for people to buy her stuff.... she relies on her good looks and she is obsessed with herself (she is good looking but not absolutely stunning either) she has at least 400 pictures of herself posing on her facebook page.... wait til she hits middle age.... she will be in for a shock.

you know samantha brick? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭RaRaRasputin

So if you were working there you just wouldnt care if some people make a mockery of the homeless and genuinely poor? i am sure it would piss you off as well. it doesnt matter that they are police or solicitors, he just mentioned those because they are the people who work nearby the food place.

So if you were working there you just wouldnt care if some people make a mockery of the homeless and genuinely poor? i am sure it would piss you off as well. it doesnt matter that they are police or solicitors, he just mentioned those because they are the people who work nearby the food place.

He is making a mockery out of other people because he has a grudge against them.
    who are you? his mammy?

• Advertisement
Advertisement