Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada: Want to Exchange my Full Irish driving Licence to UK Licence before heading.

Options
  • 23-05-2012 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi folks,

I have held a full Irish driving licence for the last 5 years and I will be moving permanently to Canada (Alberta) later on this year. I am thinking of minimizing the stress of having to sit the Alberta multi-staged driving tests all over again and to safe time by exchanging my Irish DL for a UK-DL, seeing as UK has a reciprocal arrangement with the province of Alberta.

Here's the catch: Alberta requires that the Uk -DL should have been valid for 2 years prior to exchanging it. The question is if i exchange my Irish-DL to UK-DL, will the UK-DL have the same validity (as in 'valid from' date) as my Irish licence or will it be valid from the date I exchange it?

Also, how easy is it to change over to UK-DL and also what is the process involved in changing UK-DL to Alberta DL. I will like anyone who has experience in this regards to share them please.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I think you need to be resident in the UK for the UK authorities to exchange your licence for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

ssa2010 wrote: »
    Hi folks,

I have held a full Irish driving licence for the last 5 years and I will be moving permanently to Canada (Alberta) later on this year. I am thinking of minimizing the stress of having to sit the Alberta multi-staged driving tests all over again and to safe time by exchanging my Irish DL for a UK-DL, seeing as UK has a reciprocal arrangement with the province of Alberta.

Here's the catch: Alberta requires that the Uk -DL should have been valid for 2 years prior to exchanging it. The question is if i exchange my Irish-DL to UK-DL, will the UK-DL have the same validity (as in 'valid from' date) as my Irish licence or will it be valid from the date I exchange it?

Also, how easy is it to change over to UK-DL and also what is the process involved in changing UK-DL to Alberta DL. I will like anyone who has experience in this regards to share them please.

Are you a resident of the UK and have you a social insurance number? If not you are out of luck

Because you have 5 years experience you can sit the advanced road test straight away
    go to a registry with your passport and dlsit the theory test you can also pick up the study guide in the registry
    one you pass that they will take your irish driving licsense and send it off with the form for your canadian permit.
    They will verify your experience and have it added to your learner permit.
    once you get the learner permit back you can book your test.
    Specify you wish to do the advanced test so you wont have the gdl restriction on your license.
    Pass test and off you go

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭shannon guy

ssa2010 wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Anyone i have seen comment on siting the test over there is that it is so simple. nothing like sitting it in ireland.
    And they can move on it fast for you if you have your driving history with you.
    So you have 3 months on your irish license and apply in that time. then sit the test. And if it is as easy as I have heard you will be fine.

Advertisement