Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding specific roles other than those listed on monster/irishjobs etc.

Options
  • 23-05-2012 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

Hi all,

I've been looking for a Junior/graduate C++ position in Dublin for a while now and have come the realisation that using standard listings such as monster.ie, irishjobs etc. or relying on agencies is not enough.

I'm looking for some other ideas about how to find roles that might be a little harder to come across.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Getting your foot in the door for first job is always the hardest part. I would suggest not limiting yourself to Dublin / Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭digiology

For me, at least fo now, its about finding a door to get my foot into. Trying to get it in is another step!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Why are you insistent on C++? It's not the most common language these days, and it's mostly used in conjunction with other higher level languages (I work with c# and c++ for example).

Limiting yourself to c++ roles in Dublin is definitely making things hard for yourself.

I would suggest you look for c++/c#/java jobs in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭digiology

I know it sounds a little silly but I want to eventually get into the music technology industry abroad and this is a common language there.

Also, I imagine that there will always be some work around for C++ developers even if it isn't on the cutting edge.

Anyway, I'm not really limiting myself to this, I'm looking for other roles, there are lots in Java for example, but C++ experience is what I really want.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

The financial sector seem to be looking for a lot of people in IT in particular if you can code. Though maybe look into Multimedia/Digital Media sector if they looking for people with C++ and Java.

I think apply directly to companies if they have a vacancy relevant to C++, but they may require you have other skills in programming languages.

Apply to big companies as well as small businesses that might be looking for someone with your skill set.

Look into places outside Dublin as well good number of opportunities in Galway and Cork at the moment for that area of programming otherwise look at places abroad.

Have something like a project that make you stand out when applying either from college, placement or what you could do now in your spare time. Maybe look into freelance or contract work maybe a jobbridge internship?

A lot of programming jobs require Java at the the moment.

• Advertisement
Advertisement