Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Street Fighter 25th Anniversary Collectors Edition and Tournament Series

Options
  • 23-05-2012 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭

(Taken from Capcom-Unity)

2c2594b8fb68621b0934e72f70686a4b.jpg?v=223650

Back in January we teased the fact we had some big plans in store for Street Fighter's impending 25th anniversary. Today we can finally reveal the the two biggest pieces of that celebration: a massive collector's set packed with a heaping helping of the Street Fighter legacy; and further details on the worldwide tournament series that we're backing with half a million bucks of prizing and amenities.

COLLECTOR'S SET

eca8839e23f35553e4d4b3e0a5ff2d72.jpg?v=229200

This Zangief-sized offering contains games, music, art, video... just about every medium you can think of, all dedicated to this classic series and its devoted fans. For $149.99 (on either Xbox 360 or PS3), you get:

Games

-Street Fighter X Tekken (including all character and Swap Costume DLC)
    -Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition (with all costume DLC)
    -Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix
    -Street Fighter III: Third Strike Online Edition

Video

-New documentary Blu-ray that highlights the lifelong love affair fans have had with Street Fighter, and how their dedication has affected the game.
    -Street Fighter IV, Super SFIV anime movies
    -All episodes of the Street Fighter animated series (DELICIOUS!)
    -Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie

Light-up Ryu statue

-Brand new statue with light up base. Eight inches tall and frozen in mid Shoryuken.

11 disc soundtrack

-Game music from the past 25 years, including remixes and fan-created music.

64 page hardcover art book

-Containing pieces from fans all over the world.
    Ryu's belt
    -Full size martial arts black belt for the aspiring World Warrior. Includes Ryu's "Furinkazan" in kanji.

Certificate of Authenticity

-Like any good collector's set, this comes with a lovely piece of paper telling you how limited and special it is. They're all individually numbered, so get one before they disappear! Arrives on September 18.

TOURNAMENT SERIES
    Our Capcom-sanctioned series of tournaments begins in July and runs until December. Games included are Street Fighter X Tekken, Super SFIV AE, SF III Online Edition and HD Remix. (Dates and locations subject to change):
    • July 28-29 in Austin, TX
    • August 11-12 in the NY area (location pending)
    • August 26 in Taipei, Taiwan (location pending)
    • Mid-September in the Tokyo Region, Japan (date and location pending)
    • September 27-30 in London, England (in conjunction with Eurogamer Expo)
    • October 13-14 in Sao Paulo, Brazil (in conjunction with Brazil Game Show)
    • October 27-28 in Los Angeles, CA
    • October 31 – November 4 in Paris, France (in conjunction with Paris Games Week)
    • December 8 Finals in San Francisco, CA (including players who qualify in the prelim tourneys)
    To further sweeten the pot, the first place SFxT player gets a custom Scion FR-S Sports Coupe! It includes a custom video entertainment system from SCEA, modified exterior from Five Axis and other components from other aftermarket companies.
    Finally, there will soon be a new site where you can share your own SF fandom. Head to streetfighter.com/sf25 for more - it's not fully operational just yet, but will be soon. More on that to come!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

It's amazing how I'll quickly consider blowing tons of cash on games I already have, just because they have some extras. Goddamn, that is a very very tasty set!

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Vyze

Sairus wrote: »
    -Street Fighter X Tekken (including all character and Swap Costume DLC)
    Saves them money on printing new discs I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

This is dangerously tempting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

That's how you do a goddamn 25 year anniversary.

/looks disdainfully at all his "Mario: 25 years in the family" t-shirts.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Want!

If only for a localisation of the Super film at long last :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

On the note of the tournament prizes at the bottom... a Scion Coupe is a terribly random prize.

Box is definitely nice though. If I didn't own a large chunk of that collection already and wasn't currently in a throw out everything I own mentality I'd definitely be interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

If it came with a Bison cape and mid psycho crusher statue I'd get it. Otherwise it's just repackaged stuff I already own or have no interest in...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Soundtracks and Super movie would hold my interest most. That box is really nice too.

Anyone tempted by London?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

If I wasn't going to Oz, I'd probably be interested but I'll have to let this one slide.

blag wrote: »
    If it came with a Bison cape and mid psycho crusher statue I'd get it. Otherwise it's just repackaged stuff I already own or have no interest in...

You're starting to sound like that other dictator...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

Oh wow lol, I read that as Azza saying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Bit of a shame they've completely ignored the Alpha series for the 25th Anniversary set.

Would have been nice to have Alpha Anthology ported.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

To further sweeten the pot, the first place SFxT player gets a custom Scion FR-S Sports Coupe! It includes a custom video entertainment system from SCEA, modified exterior from Five Axis and other components from other aftermarket companies.

TRANSLATING
    TRANSLATED
    "Please take SFxT seriously! Buy our game! Again!"

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Have all the games. Will probably sell all 4 for 30 euro.

Will keep the codes for all the characters and costumes.

Statue looks class. Will almost certainly purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Is this the first disk version of 3rd strike OE?

It's not a disk version, it's a code to download it.
    Same for HD Remix.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭VizardAnto

You can already pre-order on the capcom store but it doesn't seem to ship to Ireland :(

Also says (Console-based Game Titles are limited to shipping inside the United States, Canada and Mexico only.)

Guess we can't get it.... :mad:

It's not a disk version, it's a code to download it. Same for HD Remix.

Has this been confirmed by capcom anywhere? All i've read since yesterday is rumour.

This is capcom doing what capcom does best. Packaging up stuff that's already been released, making a song and dance about it, and charging a fortune for old code that no new costs went into making, but still, i would kill for a standalone copy of HD remix on a single disc...

I'll post it here first, if this DOES turn out to be HD remix on it's own disc, i will pay good money if anyone wants to sell me their copy. I just stumbled across the capcom digital collection while reading about this new anniversary deely, and i'm off to buy it today, just for the HD remix hard copy. My 360 HDD isn't gonna last forever...
    VizardAnto wrote: »
    .....Also says (Console-based Game Titles are limited to shipping inside the United States, Canada and Mexico only.) Guess we can't get it.... :mad:

Yeah from reading online so far it looks like it's US only. Boo-urns! I hope an EU and especially a Jap version are announced soon. I don't see how thery're going to run big money tourneys in japan if no-one's got the game.
    Bit of a shame they've completely ignored the Alpha series for the 25th Anniversary set.

Would have been nice to have Alpha Anthology ported.

+1 for this. That was a high point in capcom's street fighter franchise milking that went on for the decade between third strike and 4, when they weren't really making new street fighter games, just flogging old ones to all the same people again...

Alpha anthology, HD remix, and 3SOE were all great, and it's a shame to see alpha overlooked in this box set. It was a lot of fun to play versus on, and there was a huge amount of value in it for a budget port.

It was to the alpha series what Hyper street fighter should have been for the SF2 games, if they hadn't cheaped out on it. I mean, talk about lack of balance. Everybody knows that CE bison wipes the floor with any version of everybody else anyway, so what's the point..... ;-)

MackDaddi wrote: »
    It's not a disk version, it's a code to download it. Same for HD Remix.

Has this been confirmed by capcom anywhere? All i've read since yesterday is rumour
    Says it in the trailer on the first page.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Meh, only the OSTs and the previously unreleased SSF4 OVA are worth caring about. If you're a big SF fan you will already own the rest anyway.

Wouldn't be surprised if they cheaped out on those too and had them all reduced to random selections of tracks like Namco did with the SCV CE OST (Utter cack, had like a 6th of the music including random tracks not even from the game).

• Advertisement

Meh, only the OSTs and the previously unreleased SSF4 OVA are worth caring about. If you're a big SF fan you will already own the rest anyway.

Wouldn't be surprised if they cheaped out on those too and had them all reduced to random selections of tracks like Namco did with the SCV CE OST (Utter cack, had like a 6th of the music including random tracks not even from the game).

TBH, there's only one song worth owning, they should just have 11 discs full of it.

IN-DEST-RUCTIBLE!

i would kill for a standalone copy of HD remix on a single disc...

I'm curious why a disc HDR is such a big thing for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Vyze

Being able to bring a disc to a friend's house for some games is a lot easier than a whole console. Also makes like a lot easier for tournaments so you don't have to buy the game for every system you may ever want to play on, but however many discs you need that can be shifted between consoles each time you run an event. Downloadable games, patches, DLC characters etc are nothing but a pain to tourney organisers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Vyze wrote: »
    Downloadable games, patches, DLC characters etc are nothing but a pain to tourney organisers.

And people with friends.

Vyze wrote: »
    Being able to bring a disc to a friend's house for some games is a lot easier than a whole console. Also makes like a lot easier for tournaments

Exactly. This is 50% of my reasoning, but also because of the fact that consoles die, hard drives die, and online matchmaking support and DLC eventually goes end of life. It might take years, but eventually you won't be able to buy that game, and the only way to play it will be to drag out a very old console with a hard drive that's well past it's use-by date.

Disc based media can be backed up, ripped, copied, and can live on after a console is dead. DRM protected DLC on a hard drive can't. After it's off the marketplace, once your HDD dies, your game is gone.

I'm big into retro games. I regularly play games that are 20-30 years old, whether it's through emulation or by actually dragging out an old console, and i do my best to maintain a copy of all my very favourite games for the future, because i know I'll want to play them in many years time. I was just looking over my PS2 discs and backups last night, and some of my favourite games from that platform are already emulatable on a PC after only 6 or 7 years off the market. I have two PS2 consoles at home, one of them has already packed up, and i expect the other one will probably do the same some day, but all of my discs are still in great condition either originals or copied, ready to be run in a PS2 emulator.

Disc based media can be backed up, ripped, copied, and can live on after a console is dead. DRM protected DLC on a hard drive can't. After it's off the marketplace, once your HDD dies, your game is gone.

That's a fair enough concern. I understand where you're coming from.

Some guys here can probably comment, but I'd like to think Microsoft are future-proofing their platforms enough that this hopefully isn't necessary.

Last time my nephew came to visit me, he brought a standard USB memory stick with nothing but his profile on it. Once his profile was established on my Xbox and authorised over the internet, we were able to download and play any game he had ever bought; which was pretty cool.

I can definitely understand wanting discs for previous console generations, or Nintendo consoles (:pac:); but I feel like in this internet ubiquitous age, Xbox and PS3 stuff are fine to keep digitally.

Exactly. This is 50% of my reasoning, but also because of the fact that consoles die, hard drives die, and online matchmaking support and DLC eventually goes end of life. It might take years, but eventually you won't be able to buy that game, and the only way to play it will be to drag out a very old console with a hard drive that's well past it's use-by date.

I'm big into retro games. I regularly play games that are 20-30 years old, whether it's through emulation or by actually dragging out an old console, and i do my best to maintain a copy of all my very favourite games for the future, because i know I'll want to play them in many years time. I was just looking over my PS2 discs and backups last night, and some of my favourite games from that platform are already emulatable on a PC after only 6 or 7 years off the market. I have two PS2 consoles at home, one of them has already packed up, and i expect the other one will probably do the same some day, but all of my discs are still in great condition either originals or copied, ready to be run in a PS2 emulator.

That's a worry to more and more retro gamers I hear- it's going to be harder and harder to maintain historically interesting games the way things are going, apparently.

At least in this case, the original ( possibly superior?) versions of Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo and SF3: Third Strike are already out in the ether for emulation.

...it's going to be harder and harder to maintain historically interesting games the way things are going...At least in this case, the original ( possibly superior?) versions of Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo and SF3: Third Strike are already out in the ether for emulation.

Lol. I shouldn't get back into the whole HDR versus ST debate again, i wasted countless hours on SRK doing that when the game was out, but i will stick my neck out and say that do i think HDR is superior to ST (and i know how contentious a statement that is to purists). It's not perfect, sure (akuma is unbalanced beyond belief, and some of the nerfing and buffing choices are questionable) but i think overall, sirlin did a much better job than he got credit for in the fighing game scene, and i think that the proof of that is that HDR is far more accessible and enjoyable to a new player than ST was.

That game, while brilliant, was downright unforgiving, even for a generation of players that, when it came out, knew streetfighter inside out. It had loads of silly bugs that worked their way into advanced tactics, and a handful of characters that pretty much owned everyone else if you knew how to use them. HDR is much better balanced, with fairer matchups, for more of the cast, and as a longtime ST fan if i look at it objectively instead of with my "i love ST hat on" i can't pretend that thats a bad thing.

Also i like the new art (not everyone does) and on top of all that, HD remix probably has the best netcode ever seen in an online multiplayer fighting game. What i really want is a PC release, so i can put it in my arcade cab, but i doubt that will ever happen.

On 3SOE, i'm not sure. I do own it, but it never held as much interest for me as HDR did. Isn't it basically just third strike with half decent online modes, no balance tweaking, no redrawn art, etc. What's the point really? I bought it to mess about online with, not to keep it for all time. I already own about ten versions of it already.
    That's a fair enough concern. I understand where you're coming from.

Some guys here can probably comment, but I'd like to think Microsoft are future-proofing their platforms enough that this hopefully isn't necessary.

Well, the technology exists to make it unneccessary, but to my mind, publishers like microsoft and devs like capcom aren't interested in things like back compatibility, perpetuity of access to software, and making it easy for people to play past-gen games. There's too much money to be made in flogging old code to old gamers all over again every time a new console comes along. Take street fighter for example. It's my all time fave game franchise, but even i couldn't defend capcom's attitude to reselling and repackaging their legacy titles. They could've written the book on milking your cash cow. They must have released hundreds of street fighter ports, clones, updates, re-issues, anniversary editions, arcade editions, "hyper super mega tiny bit better-than-the-last version" versions, and made a fortune from it, where if they and their likes were genuinely interested in making sure that people could play their games in perpituity through various generations then modern consoles would have full back compatibility across the board, instead of the shoddy, peacemeal efforts we only occasionally get that are shot down by developers or pulled from consoles via hardware updates for "cost control" reasons.

Microsoft are as bad. Look at the recent halo combat evolved anniversary edition. It's a re-issue of a ten year old game from the original xbox that's supposed to be back compatible and playable on the 360 but that either doesn't work or doesn't work properly depending on your console version, so they package it up again, tack on some multiplayer code they had lying around from another title, and charge €39.99 for it....again.

I think i would rather hold on to my software and know that i can play it anytime, for as long as i feel like it, rather than trusting MS to let me have continued downloads or access to a game that they would much rather flog me again in five or ten years time, after they stick a new coat of paint on it and throw in a collectable or two. DLC is convenient, but the model favours creating new revenue streams from old titles as well as generating higher margin on your sales due to eliminating most of the manufacturing, logistics, and sales costs of getting your code out to consumers, rather than favouring letting people hold on to games they've paid for fair and square. It's in their interests to push it, and it's also in their interest to make sure you can't play your DLC forever. Hard copy games come with no such headaches. Once youve bought it, you can have it forever if you want to.

Regarding developers and publishing houses fleecing their customers, same goes for this street fighter 25th anniversary collection. It's a bunch of games i already own several copies of (anything in it that's worth owning anyway), a few cheap collectables i'll never get any use out of, and another overblown capcom price tag. The only reason i would ever consider it was for on-disc copies of the DLC games (which it doesn't even have), and at the price theyre charging, the discs would have to be made out of solid gold and be hand-delivered by seth killian himself for me to even think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

On 3SOE, i'm not sure. I do own it, but it never held as much interest for me as HDR did. Isn't it basically just third strike with half decent online modes, no balance tweaking, no redrawn art, etc. What's the point really? I bought it to mess about online with, not to keep it for all time. I already own about ten versions of it already.
    • The online is decent, but nowhere near what we were expecting.
    • 3rd Strike doesn't need balance tweaking. ST didn't need it either TBH, though it was nice that it was essentially optional. Easier inputs without random input windows was cool though.
    • You DO NOT try to redraw 3rd Strike. Why would you want to ruin the most beautiful game ever?
    • You can not possibly own 10 versions.
      The only versions that exist are for Dreamcast (which has an input bug and is based on the 2nd revision arcade board), Xbox (which runs too fast) and PS2 (which wasn't released in PAL regions).

• Advertisement

There's too much money to be made in flogging old code to old gamers all over again every time a new console comes along.

Definitely see where you're coming from, but I think you're a little over cynical in the approach by publishers, developers and console manufacturers etc.

I think it's ultimately in their best interests to move to a platform where
    • People can buy things with an assurance they will stay working long term
    • People can impulse buy things from the comfort of their own homes
    • People can buy things without any concern for physical space limitations
    • They can cut the pre-owned market out of the equasion entirely

That last one is a biggie. I hope they know that keeping us out of Gamestop's pre-owned section is dependant on the next console generation letting us keep our data from this one.
    Mackdaddi wrote:
    even i couldn't defend capcom's attitude to reselling and repackaging their legacy titles. They could've written the book on milking your cash cow. They must have released hundreds of street fighter ports, clones, updates, re-issues, anniversary editions, arcade editions, "hyper super mega tiny bit better-than-the-last version" versions, and made a fortune from it, where if they and their likes were genuinely interested in making sure that people could play their games in perpituity through various generations then modern consoles would have full back compatibility across the board,

It feels kind of like unnecessarily stating the obvious to point this out, but: You do realise it's not actually possible for Capcom (or any developer) to make a game that will work forever through every possible future console?

Advertisement