Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Street Fighter 25th Anniversary Collectors Edition and Tournament Series

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

It feels kind of like unnecessarily stating the obvious to point this out, but: You do realise it's not actually possible for Capcom (or any developer) to make a game that will work forever through every possible future console?
    Put it on PC.

Problem solved.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    [*]You DO NOT try to redraw 3rd Strike. Why would you want to ruin the most beautiful game ever?
    [*]You can not possibly own 10 versions.
    The only versions that exist are for Dreamcast (which has an input bug and is based on the 2nd revision arcade board), Xbox (which runs too fast) and PS2 (which wasn't released in PAL regions).[/list]

Ok, two points there that I want to address. The point about a lack of balancing, redrawing, changes etc in OE was to illustrate a general lack of reasons to buy it again. The main reason to own it, the online, proved lacklustre, and apart from that, there was nothing to set it apart from the previous iterations. I wasn't advocating redrawing it, it's beautiful as it is, but its already been done.

On the "10" versions thing, I was being tongue in cheek, but I own the dreamcast version, the Xbox version, a PS2 import, the emulated arcade rom, and the DLC OE version. I have enough third strike :-/

Oh, and on the "third strike doesn't need rebalancing" point you made, respectfully, I disagree. It's a great game, but any game where you can choose the top 3 characters and easily wipe the floor with the rest of the cast, especially a cast THAT big, is not balanced. Chun, yun, and maybe ken are unstoppable in that game if you're patient and strategic, and have the execution skills, and the rest of the cast suffers for it. 3S is brilliant and beautiful, but it isn't balanced.

Q.

Low tier.

Makoto:Q

9:1 matchup

Oh, and on the "third strike doesn't need rebalancing" point you made, respectfully, I disagree. It's a great game, but any game where you can choose the top 3 characters and easily wipe the floor with the rest of the cast, especially a cast THAT big, is not balanced. Chun, yun, and maybe ken are unstoppable in that game if you're patient and strategic, and have the execution skills, and the rest of the cast suffers for it. 3S is brilliant and beautiful, but it isn't balanced.
    Highlighted the only parts that are applicable to anyone in this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Q.

Low tier.
    C'mon man. Exceptions to the rule do not a balanced game make.
    3S is not a balanced game and everyone knows it :P The fact that a 9:1 matchup exists at all is proof of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Kuroda is a beast.

He's not so much of a beast that him existing magically makes 3S balanced though :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Yeah I mean, the people who love 3rd Strike usually go with the argument "yeah, it's unbalanced. And?" which at this point in my FG life I think is fair enough, I'd probably have gotten much further into the game if I wasn't determined to make the green haired toss pot work, but at this point I can kinda see that angle. Sometimes, it's fun to have a top tier, and it's even more fun when they get taken apart (last years Evo- even though Seth is probably top tier too, the perception was that Yun/Daigo was unstoppable).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

None of the 3s top tier is unstoppable. They're all beatable, though you'll make it a lot harder on yourself if you pick low tier against them. Not saying the game is balanced, just that it's not as simple as pick chun/yun/ken and win.

Fairly informative FAQ on this

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2012/may/25/mini-faq-street-fighter-25th-anniversary-package-animated-movie-wont-contain-nudity/

Most important points are: No EU release, no Indestructible in the soundtrack, and no Chun Li shower scene in the movie.

Also weirdly they're including the SF1 and Alpha soundtracks, without the games themselves.

PS3 owners can still import I guess, but the rest of us are out of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Most important points are: No EU release, no Indestructible in the soundtrack, and no Chun Li shower scene in the movie.

Bah. I'm still annoyed the Anniversary disk for original Xbox didn't have the nude scene despite it saying on the back of the box that it was the fully uncut version.

SOPA aint got nothing on Capcom.

Sairus wrote: »
    Bah. I'm still annoyed the Anniversary disk for original Xbox didn't have the nude scene despite it saying on the back of the box that it was the fully uncut version.

THAT'S what annoyed you about anniversary edition? Lol. I played it an hour ago. It was every bit as pointless and unbalanced as I remember.

• Advertisement

THAT'S what annoyed you about anniversary edition? Lol. I played it an hour ago. It was every bit as pointless and unbalanced as I remember.

Fair and balanced game.

As lolsome as it is, this is not evidence of unbalance, but the random element in the original SF2 builds.

As lolsome as it is, this is not evidence of unbalance, but the random element in the original SF2 builds.
    You're right.

I should've linked this instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

hatoku no ken looked awesome but in think week in its release SRK spread news of it being fairly broken, and it died quick. Also it was for the ps2.

SRK didn't need to spread the news, everyone KNOWS it's broken as hell.
    100% basketball combos for everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

You can't just pick chun Yun or ken and win lol. It's not brain dead easy. Why do people keep on saying this. Ken doesn't wipe the floor with anyone. Kens 5 th imo.chun and Yun yes to an extent yun is quite hard to use. Half the people who say its easy wouldn't even be able to confirm a chun low forward to super :p

Very strong characters indeed. As far as balance goes its not terribly unbalanced. it's not worse than any other game IMO. Sure it's got its issues. no way am I trying to defend it. But agreed with dreddy. said characters are strong but people make it out like its gill difficulty besting them :P

Think I might go to London and win a trip to USA yehhhhhhhhhh

Ramza wrote: »
    You can't just pick chun Yun or ken and win lol. It's not brain dead easy. Why do people keep on saying this.....As far as balance goes its not terribly unbalanced. it's not worse than any other game IMO

OK it's not THAT unbalanced, but its definitely not balanced, and I think it's certainly less balanced than many fighting games. Every fighting game has an upper tier, and It's not a case of just picking yun, chun, etc, and pushing the "win", button, but if you're a very solid player with, let's say, "top 16 or 32 in a major tourney level" execution and skills (your level for example ramza) you stand a SIGNIFICANTLY better chance of winning by picking the top tier in 3S than you would in many other fighters. There's just a very wide spread in the viability of the characters in the cast.

I think you're right, you need the skills to be able to exploit that spread in the first place, but I do think it's worse than in many other games.

Didn't james Chen say something a few years back about how third strike at evo became a joke eventually? How the top 16 was just cconstantly chun, yun, chun, yun, yun, ken, chun, yun, etc, and it just became boring...

OK it's not THAT unbalanced, but its definitely not balanced, and I think it's certainly less balanced than many fighting games. Every fighting game has an upper tier, and It's not a case of just picking yun, chun, etc, and pushing the "win", button, but if you're a very solid player with, let's say, "top 16 or 32 in a major tourney level" execution and skills (your level for example ramza) you stand a SIGNIFICANTLY better chance of winning by picking the top tier in 3S than you would in many other fighters. There's just a very wide spread in the viability of the characters in the cast.

I think you're right, you need the skills to be able to exploit that spread in the first place, but I do think it's worse than in many other games.
    Are you forgetting how Ramza beat Ryan Hart's Ken earlier in the year, with Urien? ;)
    Also, balance is over-rated.
    Working for a win is its own reward.
    Didn't james Chen say something a few years back about how third strike at evo became a joke eventually? How the top 16 was just cconstantly chun, yun, chun, yun, yun, ken, chun, yun, etc, and it just became boring...
    That's because America is FREE.

MackDaddi wrote: »
    You can't just pick chun Yun or ken and win lol. It's not brain dead easy. Why do people keep on saying this.....As far as balance goes its not terribly unbalanced. it's not worse than any other game IMO

I wouldn't say it's worse than any other game IMO. The same could be said for any game. All fighters have a defined top tier. and yeah speaking the more skilled you are the more effective and dangerous you will be using top tier. You're 100% right there. But I don't see how it only applies to 3rd strike or how it's more like um evident like (cant think of word lol). Lots of players dropped Yun in ae for other chars in 2012.

I will say there is more of a spread in 2012 and probably other games. But then again the casts are bigger. Pretty much at evp it was always chun ken and Yun. At svb when I went the most dangerous players played makotO ken chun and akuma. They're all very solid chars two Of which are top tier. given the game is dead p much it stills kinda speaks for itself. I do agree with you though.

Thanks Kiki. Urien is a good matchup for ken. That Feels like a 7 3 ken favour to me. I'm just glad I was able to beat ryan lol

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Ramza wrote:
    But I don't see how it only applies to 3rd strike or how it's more like um evident like

I don't play 3S so I can't comment in depth, but in fighting games communities across the world its generally regarded as being very badly balanced game. I'm not saying its a bad game but as it was pointed out by James Chen, Chun, Yun and Ken dominated (with a few exceptions) the Evo results for like 3-4 years in a row. I don't think many other fighting games had anything like that occur before or after?
    K.O.Kiki wrote:
    Are you forgetting how Ramza beat Ryan Hart's Ken earlier in the year, with Urien?
    Stop taking results in isolation. Look at long string of tournament results and see if there is any patterns.
    K.O.Kiki wrote:
    Also, balance is over-rated.
    Maybe to you Kiki, but then again there is people who can actually play fighting games above the level of a circus clown.
    K.O.Kiki wrote:
    Working for a win is its own reward.
    Let me know when you win a game......any game.
    K.O.Kiki wrote:
    That's because America is FREE.
    And you have placed in what tournaments in what games?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

Azza wrote: »
    Maybe to you Kiki, but then again there is people who can actually play fighting games above the level of a circus clown.

You need to calm down.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Placebo wrote:
    You need to calm down.

You need to post a picture with that post before I take it seriously :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Kens 5 th imo.

Assuming Chun and Yun are first and second, who's third and fourth?

I know Makoto is really good so I assume she would there but I can't think of anyone else above Ken.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Orim wrote: »
    Assuming Chun and Yun are first and second, who's third and fourth?

Dudley and Mak I'd reckon, though personally I'd expect Ken above Mak just for consistency reasons.

I'd put Ken above Dudley, definitely.
    Chun top, Yun barely below.
    Then Ken for solid players, Makoto for crazy players.
    Dudley/Yang/Akuma are the next tier, maybe SA3 Ryu for his dirty tactics.
    Oro, Urien, Ibuki & Necro can kill you if they trick you 2 or 3 times.
    Alex, Q & Hugo need a lot of work to get wins.
    Elena has like 2 tricks and only 2 of her moves are low...
    Sean is Sean-tier.
    12 is... not good.
    ...... Remy is a dickhead ;)

@Azza I'm not trying to vouch for the game's balance. I agree with you 100% :) I also discussed this with dreddy and the other 3s heads in Glasgow, was a good convo like :)

Ken is 5th imo just because Mak and Dud stand above him. Dud beats ken imo. I always felt Ken was a bit over placed on the tier list. After sbo 2009 there was a massive change to the tier list when dud and mak moved up. Makoto and Dudley are two serious characters. Ken is still solid as ****.

I enjoyed what I played of 3SOE. I think I did a lot better in our short lived side tournaments than I had any right to with my fraudulent play style :pac:

I'm actually kind of curious if I could get my non-FG friends into it, at our incredibly low levels of play: Would it be a fun game?

Also: What would the dominant characters turn out to be?

I imagine Q and Hugo, for the HP boosting taunts, and the Shotos, since everyone knows more or less how to play them.

I enjoyed what I played of 3SOE. I think I did a lot better in our short lived side tournaments than I had any right to with my fraudulent play style :pac:

I'm actually kind of curious if I could get my non-FG friends into it, at our incredibly low levels of play: Would it be a fun game?

Also: What would the dominant characters turn out to be?

I imagine Q and Hugo, for the HP boosting taunts, and the Shotos, since everyone knows more or less how to play them.

At a really low level, I found Remy to be a total beast. He's a monster if the other player can't parry. Soon as they learn that, the game is changed.

At a really low level, I found Remy to be a total beast. He's a monster if the other player can't parry. Soon as they learn that, the game is changed.

Aye. I remember I beat your week 1 Remy with my week 1 Q.

Run away, taunt and sonic boom parry was just too godlike for you to handle.

Then you went off and learned combos like a big cheater; and destroyed me next time we played with Remy rushdown. :pac:

• Advertisement

Aye. I remember I beat your week 1 Remy with my week 1 Q.

Run away, taunt and sonic boom parry was just too godlike for you to handle.

Then you went off and learned combos like a big cheater; and destroyed me next time we played with Remy rushdown. :pac:

Well I was making tutorial vids of Remy at the time (wanker), so I really should have learned something from them :D

Advertisement