Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Street Fighter 25th Anniversary Collectors Edition and Tournament Series

Options
13»

Comments

I just bought the capcom digital collection to get HD remix on disc. Got it for only 15 sterling on amazon UK. That was pretty much the only thing that would have interested me in this 25th Anniversary box set, but the HDR copy with it is DLC, so there's no point at all in forking out. I already have everything in it gamewise, except for SFXT, which looks crap, from what little I've played of it so far, and the "collectable" doodads don't interest me at all.

HDR on disc will come in handy. I'll be able to bring it to one of those XGC casuals I've been meaning to go along to forever. I'm so rusty I'm sure I'll get annihilated, but it will be nice to play against people who are actually in the same room for once, and not moaning about lag f*king them up....

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

HDR on disc will come in handy. I'll be able to bring it to one of those XGC casuals I've been meaning to go along to forever. I'm so rusty I'm sure I'll get annihilated, but it will be nice to play against people who are actually in the same room for once, and not moaning about lag f*king them up....

It doesn't really matter if you get annihilated or not, it's about having fun :)

Lots of people seem to be a bit nervy about coming to casuals for the first time, I guess I was lucky because all this was really new when I went so I had no assumptions!

Oh and people still moan a BIT about lag in the XGC- the xbox TVs have 3 frames of lag on them. But the important thing is they don't blame you for it :D

It doesn't really matter if you get annihilated or not, it's about having fun :)

True, but a few wins doesn't hurt the experience either. No i definitely will come along to one. I could do with playing some HDR games in-person, and i hear it's where the SSF4 scene is too. I gave up on that game, brilliant as it was, because it's online matchmaking kept pairing me up with daigo-tier opponents and making me want to throw my xbox out the window, and i felt like i was just being a punching bag and not learning anything. :mad:

XGC casuals are mainly on saturday afternoons right? Next time i'm free i'll make a point of grabbing my fightpad and my discs and coming down for a couple of hours. Is there anything happening the weekend after the bank holiday?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I just bought the capcom digital collection to get HD remix on disc. Got it for only 15 sterling on amazon UK. That was pretty much the only thing that would have interested me in this 25th Anniversary box set, but the HDR copy with it is DLC, so there's no point at all in forking out. I already have everything in it gamewise, except for SFXT, which looks crap, from what little I've played of it so far, and the "collectable" doodads don't interest me at all.

Some find my looks disturbing.
    Though I move slowly on the ground, I am quick in the air.
    When I use my rolling attack, I become... a human projectile. Well... almost human.
    And my vertical rolling attack allows me to knock those rash fools who would oppose me out of the sky.
    My lower attacks have an excellent reach.
    Use my electricity move whenever possible, because even when an opponent blocks, it takes off bits of his energy.
    No wonder my enemies fear me.
    My bite is worse than my bark...

Yes I would like to play some SFII.

True, but a few wins doesn't hurt the experience either. No i definitely will come along to one. I could do with playing some HDR games in-person, and i hear it's where the SSF4 scene is too. I gave up on that game, brilliant as it was, because it's online matchmaking kept pairing me up with daigo-tier opponents and making me want to throw my xbox out the window, and i felt like i was just being a punching bag and not learning anything. :mad:

XGC casuals are mainly on saturday afternoons right? Next time i'm free i'll make a point of grabbing my fightpad and my discs and coming down for a couple of hours. Is there anything happening the weekend after the bank holiday?

While yes there's usually a strong presence on a Sat afternoon you should check the forum a couple of days in advance- f there's a tournament or casuals on, either way there will be a thread here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Wednesdays and Saturdays, but you really just need one other person to show up who wants to play the same games as you.

I'm actually not sure you will get destroyed at HDR if you're playing it seriously. That game was a permanent "side tournament" game until it was dropped.

Speaking personally, I liked both it and Super SF4, but the speed and button inputs of the games are so drastically different, I felt like I needed to drop one.

I'd be quite happy to play either at casuals, so be sure to post in a casuals thread if you're coming.

Speaking personally, I liked both it and Super SF4, but the speed and button inputs of the games are so drastically different, I felt like I needed to drop one.

I'd be quite happy to play either at casuals, so be sure to post in a casuals thread if you're coming.

Will do, thanks. Yeah, i know what you mean. I dropped SF4 over HD Remix, but that was a couple of years back when the HDR scene was a lot busier online than it is now. I just couldn't get my head wrapped around both at the same time. The inputs and speed, as well as the whole ethos of the games themselves are very different. ST/HDR was faster and more attack oriented, whereas (at least to me) SF4 felt very cagey and defensively paced. I haven't played much SF at all lately though (work, kids, life, etc)and I'd like to get back into one of them casually, and IV seems to be where the action is.

Of the 3 (4?) SF4 versions i thought SSF4 was easily the best. They seemed to have shifted the balance back towards offense a bit more, and added more variety in the ultras, but hadn't yet F**ked everything up by adding Yun and his bloody dive kick. Also they nerfed Dictator's stomp ultra in AE, which sucked. He was my fave alternate pick in super 4.

What's the feeling about SSF4 versus AE at those casuals? Am i likely to get much interest or is it all about the latest version?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Nobody is likely to touch Super if there are copies of 2012 to play (which you may find closer to Super anyway, Yun and Yang having been nerfed). Personally I think 2012 is easily the best version.

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    Nobody is likely to touch Super if there are copies of 2012 to play (which you may find closer to Super anyway, Yun and Yang having been nerfed). Personally I think 2012 is easily the best version.

That's good to know. I have absolutely zero experience of 2012 version. I haven't played the game in a good few months, but i will make a point of checking it out.

I don't suppose they've given dictator back his old 2xQCF motion for his ultra 2 stomp by any chance? That thing ruled for putting manners on fireball happy shotos before they nerfed it in AE.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

No, they haven't given him that back. I liked it a lot as well but I think it was too good in retrospect; characters have enough ways to deal with fireballs in SF4 and it was extremely good for option selecting with, which was something that no other charge character in the game really had.

I think it's still useful in some matchups anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Also they nerfed Dictator's stomp ultra in AE, which sucked. He was my fave alternate pick in super 4.
    Ultra 2 is now a charge motion but more damaging (increased to 450). Is more vulnerable on block (-23 in AE vs -16 in Super).

I think some Bison players regarded this as a buff overall actually, since they're more used to holding charge and executing charge motions, and it came with a free damage increase.

Azza would be the person to ask on 2012 Bison.
    What's the feeling about SSF4 versus AE at those casuals? Am i likely to get much interest or is it all about the latest version?

For a game with as active a tournament scene as SF4, playing a previous version at casuals is not just a "lack of interest" thing, but can actually be counter-productive to training for tournaments and harm your progress since you're training with and against strategies that don't work the same anymore.

No, they haven't given him that back. I liked it a lot as well but I think it was too good in retrospect; characters have enough ways to deal with fireballs in SF4 and it was extremely good for option selecting with, which was something that no other charge character in the game really had.

Yeah, you're probably right. It was extremely good in super. As someone who mained dictator very seriously in ST/HD remix i was disgusted with him in Vanilla 4. I thought his headstomp, devil's reverse, and super were all rubbish, and my playstyle and all my main dirty tricks and shenanigans with him went out the window because of how differently they worked, so when they introduced that ultra 2 in super i was like "oh baby" and picked him up again as an alt.

It was a great option select, and you're right, it was very unusual for a charge character, and (only my opinion) changing it to a charge motion in AE took away a lot of it's potency and usefulness in attacking situations like after dashes, forward jumps, etc, etc. It made a big difference to his attacking game. Now it's mainly only useful in reactionary situations or for punishing whiffs, etc. For the most part nobody who's any good is dumb enough to get into those situations versus him, whereas before you could use it (or the threat of it) while moving forwards to trick people and play mind games and add to your mixup game, and it was brilliant for calming down fireball happy shotos.
    I think some Bison players regarded this as a buff overall actually, since they're more used to holding charge and executing charge motions, and it came with a free damage increase

I can't see how this could be regarded as a buff. It's much less versatile, and less available as you cant use it while moving forward, unless you're using a limited set of moves (slide, specials, etc) that allow you to go forwards while building charge. It's also much more punishable on block, by 7 or 8 frames. Thats a fairly considerable nerf, when you take into account the range of mainly surprise attacks it can be used for now. I don't think the damage boost makes up for all of this. It may hurt more, but you can use it far less often, and when you do use it you need to be very sure it's going to land, which limits it's use even further.
    Azza would be the person to ask on 2012 Bison.

Yeah, i would be interested to hear that opinion. Azza? Which version of the Ultra 2 Stomp do you think is better/more useful and why?
    For a game with as active a tournament scene as SF4, playing a previous version at casuals is not just a "lack of interest" thing, but can actually be counter-productive to training for tournaments and harm your progress since you're training with and against strategies that don't work the same anymore.

Yeah, very valid point, and not one that i can really argue with. Street fighter at a high level has always been about the latest version (and capcom knows it, which is why they keep releasing tweaks and updates and so on).

I really have to check out AE2012. It looks like a lot of work went into it, and purely for the sale of fan service, especially as it's free DLC.

I'm probably going to split some of thes posts in this thread into their respective correct threads, although I guess any of the four games including is on topic :D

As someone who has thrown innumerable (and usually quite safe) projectiles at Bisons, I have way less fear of the charge motion.

I'm probably going to split some of thes posts in this thread into their respective correct threads...

Apologies for the off-topic-ness. Happy to continue the conversation on balancing, nerfs, buffs etc elsewhere. It seems to have taken over things a bit here.

Final point though. When I did play regularly, my main was ryu with the baggy Geese Howard trousers on. Playing as him, much like you, i was far less worried about bisons ultra in AE than in Super.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

http://www.streetfighter25.com/

really cool timeline on the official site, facebook style

• Registered Users Posts: 34 daltronica

Hey guys, check out the Gallery section of the 25th site. My submission is up there, and will be in the book hopefully, along with a friend from my studio. GET HYPE. Ireland representing.

http://rgbvalues.blogspot.ie/search?updated-max=2012-05-23T12:48:00-07:00

Advertisement