Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to get access point to work??

Options
  • 23-05-2012 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

well i moved into a new appartment last and changed my eircom account over to my new place

but the problem is that the eircom access point were i plug in my eircom box
    is a the front door but i then have to walk up 3 flights of stairs before i get into my apartment..

so the signal is really weak and keeps knocking me offline on my ps3
    and it is dooing my head in!!

any ideas???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

well i moved into a new appartment last and changed my eircom account over to my new place

but the problem is that the eircom access point were i plug in my eircom box
    is a the front door but i then have to walk up 3 flights of stairs before i get into my apartment..

so the signal is really weak and keeps knocking me offline on my ps3
    and it is dooing my head in!!

any ideas???

Run an ethernet cable or get a second modem and use it to repeat the signal to your room

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭The irish masher

Doylers wrote: »
    Run an ethernet cable or get a second modem and use it to repeat the signal to your room

thanks for the reply

i have another modem there how do i repeat the signal???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

thanks for the reply

i have another modem there how do i repeat the signal???

Can you throw up the model numbers of both routers and we will have a look

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Doylers wrote: »

Advice appreciated Doylers.

Would it be possible to put some more meat on the bone particularly for The irish masher, if you have a similar house situation.

I have also come across wireless extenders that may amplify or boost a wireless signal /frequency. If you can use wireless it means that you can keep the modem on the master phone socket. If you can boost the wireless signal up to the room where you have your PC and usb wireless adapter then this may be the best option.

Other options are perhaps utilizing the electric circuit in your house. Some vendors offer Ethernet connectivity via the electric circuit and plug socket(s).

If you have any further advice on wireless, boosters, or cost effective alternatives to improving a Home network (LAN) setup, it would be greatly appreciated :)

Below are some Tips on how to How to improve your wireless

If you're experiencing wireless interference, or low /weak wireless signals, here are some Tips which may help improve your overall broadband connection.

Wireless networks can be affected by the distance of the router /modem from your wireless device (wifi laptop, Iphone, wireless printer, etc).
    In general, wireless routers will work best within 30 metres from your wireless device (PC, laptop). It is also best not to put your wireless device too close to your wireless modem /router.

eircom Support would advise that Wireless devices like cordless phones may impact on wireless and recommend these are moved away from the modem. TV Video senders, Bluetooth/WiFi devices and Wireless webcams can all affect wireless.

Wireless networks may also be affected by solid walls, metal sheeting, double, tripple glazing, etc.

(Further reading - How to Resolve Weak Wireless Connection - )

Wifi Extenders - 'Do they work?' Watch this Youtube Clip - LINK

Further reading - What Causes Wireless Interference? - LINK

10 Tips - Help improve your Wireless Network -

Regards,
    Ant

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭The irish masher

thanks for the advice people

the model number for my modem is P-660HN-T1A

and the spare modem number is the same ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,705 ✭✭✭✭altor

This is what you need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

thanks for the advice people

the model number for my modem is P-660HN-T1A

and the spare modem number is the same ??

Thanks guys,

The P-660HN-T1A like most standard Adsl modems will normally have a wireless range of around 30M (line of sight). It will probably mean you need to customise your local wireless set-up. You might also wish to investigate more advanced or powerful routers, though this may be costly.

Some of the points I've made above regarding 'Improving your wireless (signal) strength', may also be helpful. Take a look at these if possible.

As an example on the same issue:

A friend of mine was asking me how to extend his broadband into his garden. He owns a bar and was running a long phone cable along, from the master phone point (mdp) to the other-side of the bar. This not only had the effect of lowering his broadband sync and attainable rates, but his connection also became intermittent. When he put the modem directly on the mdp again everything worked fine. He still has the issue of providing wireless in the beer garden. He is going to try a wireless booster, though he has the added problem of having to reach the garden through two solid walls. I will advise him to take a look at altor's suggestion (above) as a possible effective solution.

Let me know if any one has any other suggestions here and also how you get on individually irish masher.

Cheers,
    Ant

Advertisement