Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada: Graham Industrial Edmonton

Options
  • 23-05-2012 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi Folks. I have been offered a position with a company in Edmonton called Graham Industrial. I suppose im just wondering has anybody else been offered any positions (on the back of the Working Abroad Expo), and are you going to make the leap of faith to Canada??
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Bernzie

I have got an offer for work in Edmonton on an initial two year contract where they will help me with relocation and sort my visa for me. The problems im having are deciding whether to move my wife and daughter away from all family and whether or not the move will be financially beneficial in the long run. Like will I just be working to pay the mortgage here like im already doing? Or will I see the benefit of the higher wage in the long run and just take the job and enjoy a higher standard of living in a more prosperous and better governed country. I know some of you are shouting at the screen saying "just move man", but its tough making that initial move. I have a week to make a decision.........

• Registered Users Posts: 18 damob9

I am waitng to hear if i was successful in an interview I had a couple of weeks ago , if I get an offer we are out of here . We dont have any kids and herself is more than happy to leave her job and try for something over. We have thought long and hard about it and have decided to go.I know its a massive decision to make for your family but if your wife is happy to give it a chance, I really think ye would be mad not to try it and see how ye get on. Best of luck whatever your decision

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Surveyor11

Guy I was in college with took the leap of faith and works for Graham's in Calgary. He's there I would say over 2 odd years now, wife and kids as well. He has nothing but positive things to say, in fact he was home for the expo so may have interviewed you! Best of luck with the move. You won't regret it!

damob9 wrote: »
    I am waitng to hear if i was successful in an interview I had a couple of weeks ago , if I get an offer we are out of here . We dont have any kids and herself is more than happy to leave her job and try for something over. We have thought long and hard about it and have decided to go.I know its a massive decision to make for your family but if your wife is happy to give it a chance, I really think ye would be mad not to try it and see how ye get on. Best of luck whatever your decision
    And was it with the same company?

Surveyor11 wrote: »
    Guy I was in college with took the leap of faith and works for Graham's in Calgary. He's there I would say over 2 odd years now, wife and kids as well. He has nothing but positive things to say, in fact he was home for the expo so may have interviewed you! Best of luck with the move. You won't regret it!
    Would his first name begin with e??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 damob9

Sorry should have said but no it wasn't it was for an electrical company

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

I moved to Edmonton with my wife in Sept 2010.
    We moved over without jobs etc.
    We had a cousin that we stayed with for a month before we found our own place.

It took me six weeks to find a job (It support) and about a month to get accommodation that we both liked.
    My wife had a few jobs before she got work with a bank in January 2011 and has been there since.

We have moved to the west of the city this year as we needed more room because we were having a baby.
    We are paying 975\month for a 2 bed townhouse close to amenities and bus routes
    Household bills such as water gas electricity and other utilities (garbage\drainage) are in the range of another 200 dollars a month
    Phone plans cost us 60\month each

I did a wire transfer back to Ireland today to take care of some stuff,
    $1400 dollars gave me 1050 euro and 30 bucks as a wire fee so it is a bit painful to keep things going at home.

Pros

1, Very friendly and helpful people
    2, Really good public transport
    3, Cost of living lower than Ireland, granted our wages are less here but our disposable income is higher
    4, Beautiful scenery a stones throw away
    5, Good health care

Cons

1, Some things very expensive here: Car insurance springs to mind, some food products (chicken is a good example)
    2, Winters are extremely long and cold, you go weeks with temps of -10, Coldest we have seen was -37 that was nippy - wear lots of layers and cover your nose and mouth is my advice.
    3, Flights are expensive internally, we had hoped to see lots of Canada but flights are hugely expensive compared to what we were expecting
    4. You will get a lot less vacation days than Ireland, probably ten so use them wisely.
    5. Flights to Ireland are expensive Air Transat is your friend
    6. Childcare is expensive probably around a grand a sprog a month also

It was a leap of faith for us too and it worked out well and we have no regrets. Any more questions just ask

red menace wrote: »
    I moved to Edmonton with my wife in Sept 2010.
    We moved over without jobs etc.
    We had a cousin that we stayed with for a month before we found our own place.

It took me six weeks to find a job (It support) and about a month to get accommodation that we both liked.
    My wife had a few jobs before she got work with a bank in January 2011 and has been there since.

We have moved to the west of the city this year as we needed more room because we were having a baby.
    We are paying 975\month for a 2 bed townhouse close to amenities and bus routes
    Household bills such as water gas electricity and other utilities (garbage\drainage) are in the range of another 200 dollars a month
    Phone plans cost us 60\month each

I did a wire transfer back to Ireland today to take care of some stuff,
    $1400 dollars gave me 1050 euro and 30 bucks as a wire fee so it is a bit painful to keep things going at home.

Pros

1, Very friendly and helpful people
    2, Really good public transport
    3, Cost of living lower than Ireland, granted our wages are less here but our disposable income is higher
    4, Beautiful scenery a stones throw away
    5, Good health care

Cons

1, Some things very expensive here: Car insurance springs to mind, some food products (chicken is a good example)
    2, Winters are extremely long and cold, you go weeks with temps of -10, Coldest we have seen was -37 that was nippy - wear lots of layers and cover your nose and mouth is my advice.
    3, Flights are expensive internally, we had hoped to see lots of Canada but flights are hugely expensive compared to what we were expecting
    4. You will get a lot less vacation days than Ireland, probably ten so use them wisely.
    5. Flights to Ireland are expensive Air Transat is your friend
    6. Childcare is expensive probably around a grand a sprog a month also

It was a leap of faith for us too and it worked out well and we have no regrets. Any more questions just ask

Thank you for your generous reply. You sound happy! You seem to have a good handle on most of my concerns. Do you enjoy your time off (weekends etc?), and is it easy to fill that time. Ive heard its a good town for activities and festivals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

Bernzie wrote: »
    Thank you for your generous reply. You sound happy! You seem to have a good handle on most of my concerns. Do you enjoy your time off (weekends etc?), and is it easy to fill that time. Ive heard its a good town for activities and festivals.

The little one keeps us busy now so that's not an issue.
    But there is lots to do in both summer and winter.
    There seems to be lots of concerts on and lots of festivals in the summer.
    Edmonton also has the most park land of any city in North america and they are all pretty well equippd with playgrounds and what not
    West edmonton mall has an indoor amusement park and a water park open all year round
    So yep lots to do.

Advertisement