Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eating rice the day after

Options
  • 23-05-2012 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭

Can you eat rice the day after? Mrs. Size 5 says no as some sort of bacteria though she's not quite sure where she heard it.

I can see no harm but would appreciate some advise as I think I will have a lot of rice left over after tonight's dinner:o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭fox_1973

not sure if its safe, but i always do, and Im still alive usually fry it up with some veg and prawns and its yummy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

size5 wrote: »
    Can you eat rice the day after? Mrs. Size 5 says no as some sort of bacteria though she's not quite sure where she heard it.

I can see no harm but would appreciate some advise as I think I will have a lot of rice left over after tonight's dinner:o

rice produces some of the worst bacteria and it produces it very quickly. Personally I wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭NeonCookies

It's actually recommended to make fried rice with day old leftover rice because it's drier and fries better. I always do it, it's delicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭Tefral

It's actually recommended to make fried rice with day old leftover rice because it's drier and fries better. I always do it, it's delicious!

Me too, i figure that cooking it kills whatever bacteria is growing on the outside...

Hasnt killed me yet....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Bacillus cereus is a species of bacteria that causes severe food poisoning. As its name suggests, it is a rod-shaped bacterium; it is also gram positive. It was only recognised as a bacterial cause of food poisoning in 1955 and probably only accounts for about 2 per cent of all food-borne illness in the industrialised world.

Although is not as common as Salmonella or other bacteria species that cause food-borne illness, this bacterium is very specific in the types of food that it contaminates. B. cereus is present in the outer casing of rice and, because it is able to form spores that are very resistant to low or high temperatures, it can easily survive cooking and less-than perfect refrigeration. The spores are also known to be able to withstand pasteurisation, so this bacterium is of special concern for the food industry responsible for the production of processed cook-chill foods.

When rice is boiled and then stored in the fridge without being cooled first, these spores can germinate on the cooked rice and grow well at 4 degrees Celsius. If the rice is then used in a stir fry or similar dish, where the cooking time is relatively short, enough of the bacteria survive to be ingested. It is well-known to occur in people who eat take-away foods that include rice dishes.
    http://www.typesofbacteria.co.uk/bacillus-cereus-cereals-rice.html

I was a chef for over 10 years and would have no problem using rice the day after it was cooked as long as it was stored properly. But never on the 2nd day after it was cooked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭size5

cronin_j wrote: »

Hasnt killed me yet....

Iam of the same opinion so I'll feed myself and not the kids- with it cheers for the advise

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Folks - we don't do food safety advice in this forum.

Thanks,

tHB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement