Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lost iPhone! Can the guards help?!

• 23-05-2012 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi folks, bit of a story..

Left my iPhone in a taxi when I was in Dublin for a night in March. I called the taxi company we'd got who said they'd contact the driver but if they find a phone they are to hand it in to the guards. No luck from the taxi driver, says he didn't find it (which i obvs don't believe). Called the garda stations in city centre anyway to check if anything had been handed in, but no luck. Typically, i didn't have 'find my iphone' or anything similar and more importantly, no insurance. I know it's unlikely but I'm holding on to every hope that I'll be reunited with my phone!

I went to the guards again to see could they trace the IMEI but they said they will only do so for a serious case, ie missing person, murder, not just a lost phone, understandable enough. I called Apple to see if there was anything they could do and was told to go to the guards, they have had customers say the guards have tracked their phones for them... What I really want to know, is has anyone had any luck going to the guards with something like this? It's frustrating knowing that they CAN track it but won't!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,374 ✭✭✭Tefral

Have you the app find my phone installed?

You can track it yourself then on https://icloud.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

froo wrote: »
    It's frustrating knowing that they CAN track it but won't!

They can't track it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,374 ✭✭✭Tefral

darokane wrote: »
    They can't track it

They can actually, if its used. They can track it to the nearest cell tower, in fact they managed to convict a criminal in a court in dublin based on it.

cronin_j wrote: »
    They can actually, if its used. They can track it to the nearest cell tower, in fact they managed to convict a criminal in a court in dublin based on it.

Right, to the nearest cell tower isn't much good, they wont waste their time tracking a phone that someone left in a taxi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

In this case the gardai won't track it, nor should they.
    Your best hope OP is that you had FindmyIphone installed and active, which in this case you didn't.
    Not much else that can be done sorry.
    Learn from this expensive lesson and make sure all your friends have tracking software installed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,647 ✭✭✭✭ted1

No the gardai can not help. With the time and effort and resources required it would be cheaper for them to buy you a new one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,489 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

No luck from the taxi driver, says he didn't find it (which i obvs don't believe).

Why don't you believe the taxi driver? It happened at night so the phone could have fallen on the floor and been discovered by the next passenger and never spotted by the taxi driver.

Even if you had insurance, it probably wouldn't have covered you since straight loss (as opposed to theft) from a public place isn't covered, precisely because so many phones fall out of pockets in taxis.

Get your network to block the IMEI, that way the phone at least will be useless and it will go some way to deter the theft of smartphones which by all accounts is rampant in the city centre, especially by thieves on bikes from women who stand in one spot gabbing away and are sitting ducks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 froo

I started ringing the phone straight away and it rang for ages, the taxi driver would have heard it.

I understand they're not going to do it for everyone's lost phone, I just wanted to know if it was easily done and had anyone had any luck with that..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭leemaree

I had my iphone stolen but then again I had the 'find my iphone' app on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

leemaree wrote: »
    I had my iphone stolen but then again I had the 'find my iphone' app on it

Did you manage to get it back?

• Advertisement

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    Did you manage to get it back?
    Guards still have it

Guards still have it

The Guards were actually willing to help when you had the app installed?

The Guards were actually willing to help when you had the app installed?
    Yes they did

Yes they did

Good to know, I thought they would have little interest tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

A stolen phone is a different matter to a lost one however.

They actually took 2 phone, a galaxy s II phone and the iphone but they only found the iphone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

coylemj wrote: »

Even if you had insurance, it probably wouldn't have covered you since straight loss (as opposed to theft) from a public place isn't covered, precisely because so many phones fall out of pockets in taxis.

Wrong, some policies do cover against this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,489 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Wrong, some policies do cover against this.

Only 'some'?

What I said was that if he had insurance it 'probably' wouldn't cover it. Most gadget insurance doesn't cover loss in a public place. The fact that some policies do doesn't make what I said wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Hi folks, bit of a story..

Left my iPhone in a taxi when I was in Dublin for a night in March. I called the taxi company we'd got who said they'd contact the driver but if they find a phone they are to hand it in to the guards. No luck from the taxi driver, says he didn't find it (which i obvs don't believe). Called the garda stations in city centre anyway to check if anything had been handed in, but no luck. Typically, i didn't have 'find my iphone' or anything similar and more importantly, no insurance. I know it's unlikely but I'm holding on to every hope that I'll be reunited with my phone!

I went to the guards again to see could they trace the IMEI but they said they will only do so for a serious case, ie missing person, murder, not just a lost phone, understandable enough. I called Apple to see if there was anything they could do and was told to go to the guards, they have had customers say the guards have tracked their phones for them... What I really want to know, is has anyone had any luck going to the guards with something like this? It's frustrating knowing that they CAN track it but won't!
    I love your optimism but it's almost June, I'd say move on;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

I started ringing the phone straight away and it rang for ages, the taxi driver would have heard it.

I understand they're not going to do it for everyone's lost phone, I just wanted to know if it was easily done and had anyone had any luck with that..

Stand inside the public office of Store Street Garda Station or Pearse Street Garda Station on any Monday between 8am and 5pm.... Listen to how many Lost mobile phone reports they get from just the weekend before.... This will tell you the reason why the Gardaí do not have time to find lost phones!!!

If you dont believe the taxi driver then why not report that he has stole your phone?????????

If you dropped €50 on the street and reported that to a Garda station would you honestly expect it to be handed in and it to be returned to you... neither would I, a mobile phone is the exact same!!! They are too easy to wipe/clear and sell on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 nob rainer

sorry!! maybe you lost the phone who says in the taxi . most taxi drivers and i say most will hand them in to a police station . your not doing yourself any favors with taxi drivers with your comments . its good to see the bigotry towards taxi drivers is still alive and kicking . you lost it and its your problem not the taxi business , Lesson in life "You get more from honey than vinegar !!" I do know how to find your phone but as a retired taxi driver i feel reluctant to help you , however in the name of "detant" . go to a private detective company and pay for its return if its worth it to you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,897 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

nob rainer wrote: »
    sorry!! maybe you lost the phone who says in the taxi . most taxi drivers and i say most will hand them in to a police station . your not doing yourself any favors with taxi drivers with your comments . its good to see the bigotry towards taxi drivers is still alive and kicking . you lost it and its your problem not the taxi business , Lesson in life "You get more from honey than vinegar !!" I do know how to find your phone but as a retired taxi driver i feel reluctant to help you , however in the name of "detant" . go to a private detective company and pay for its return if its worth it to you

dafuq-did-i-just-read-meme.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,032 ✭✭✭✭Stark

nob rainer wrote: »
    its good to see the bigotry towards taxi drivers is still alive and kicking .

Well I'm sure if they were all as polite as you...

• Registered Users Posts: 1 keith31000

Glad you a retired taxi driver, I would not like to be in your taxi.

Ha, trust taxi drivers when one in six of them have a criminal conviction whether it is a minor conviction or a serious one. There are lods of decent taxi drivers but I don't agree if you have a conviction of any sort how you are supposed to be allowed a Public Service Vehicle licence since the state is allowing you to carry the public.

Point of phone's been traced by Gardai can't be done for minor crime as they have a very small I.T section and a their management does not allow it. I found this out after mine was stolen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭andy1249

There are lods of decent taxi drivers ...

Yes , there must be I suppose , I'm looking forward to the day that I actually meet one of these mythical beings , or even just one that wasnt having a general racist rant or trying to rip me off in some way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

Mine was stolen out of my pocket in a shop. The guards wouldn't even let me report it stolen because I didn't see it being removed from my pocket. I had to report it lost, to which they said they couldn't do anything about. And I did have the tracking app installed, but the thief made a few calls to Romania then switched it off.

Also, in defence of taxi drivers, I left my camcorder in one last year while wrestling with cranky kids, and the driver was kind enough to leave it back to the hotel we were staying in.

Pigeon holing all taxi drivers as being "bad" is like saying all iphone users have the sense to use the findmyphone app and look after there phone properly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

coylemj wrote: »
    Most gadget insurance doesn't cover loss in a public place

are you sure?

i just checked vodafone, o2, meteor, gadget insurance.ie and carphone warehouse. none of them list "loss in a public place" as a key exception. so thats 3 networks and 2 independants that do

So most do indeed cover loss in a public place.

What they dont cover is "unattended theft" which is not loss.

So yes, you're still wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

Quackles wrote: »
    Mine was stolen out of my pocket in a shop. The guards wouldn't even let me report it stolen because I didn't see it being removed from my pocket. I had to report it lost, to which they said they couldn't do anything about. And I did have the tracking app installed, but the thief made a few calls to Romania then switched it off.

Hahaha, how can you say it was stolen if you didn't see anyone take it, you could have dropped it? Then again if you know someone took it why didnt you stop them. . .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

If you find the right guard you'll probably stop sweating over your current predicament.

Advertisement