Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lost iPhone! Can the guards help?!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Can't add much here except to say there's a great tracking app on cydia called ICaughtYouPro .If someone incorrectly enters your lock pass the app will silently and imperceptably take a photo with the front facing cam and email it to you along with location details. You can set it to do this the first time the pass is incorrectly entered or the second or third time. In itself it is good reason to jailbreak your phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Just on the subject of phone trackers. Funny story about that. A mate of one of the lads I work with left his iPhone in a taxi after a night out. He tried to ring it but it either kept ringing out or the call was rejected. Luckily enough he had that "find your phone" app on it so he tracked it down to a taxi rank. So himself and a few mates were sitting in their car and waiting until a taxi moved off (to make sure it was the right guy to approach), and then followed the guy and waited for him to stop.
    They went up to him and asked him for his phone back. He said he didn't know what they were talking about, so they rang the phone and they could hear it ringing in the glovebox. Cue the taxi driver trying to explain himself, saying "oh, that phone? Yeah I was on my way to the police station to hand that in....yadda, yadda, yadda!!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 320 ✭✭DYLF

Can't add much here except to say there's a great tracking app on cydia called ICaughtYouPro .If someone incorrectly enters your lock pass the app will silently and imperceptably take a photo with the front facing cam and email it to you along with location details. You can set it to do this the first time the pass is incorrectly entered or the second or third time. In itself it is good reason to jailbreak your phone.

Just to add.. this app is amazing. i live in a new (unfinished) estate, not on google maps or anything like that but when i was trying this out it was able to give my exact address and gps co-ordinates as well as the photo it takes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

The gardaí will probably only track the phone's whereabouts by checking what phone number is using the phone through the IMEI if it has been stolen from you. In your case though, you left it somewhere so it was your own doing so it's a different story. Your best bet is to ring up your mobile phone provider and get the IMEI blocked so it can't be used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

Hahaha, how can you say it was stolen if you didn't see anyone take it, you could have dropped it? Then again if you know someone took it why didnt you stop them. . .

They made calls instantly, so yeah, I know. I know when I find a dropped phone my instinct isn't to make international calls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

Quackles wrote: »
    They made calls instantly, so yeah, I know. I know when I find a dropped phone my instinct isn't to make international calls.

Quackles
    I just checked, then double checked and checked again. . .

It wasnt your phone.... was it?? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

As with a lot of things, the Guards can very easily do it, but couldn't be arsed. Shows the state of the country.

Sam Mac wrote: »
    As with a lot of things, the Guards can very easily do it, but couldn't be arsed. Shows the state of the country.
    It would say more about the state of the country if the Gards wasted their time and resources trying to find someone's lost iPhone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭NetNinja

BaZmO* wrote: »
    If you find the right guard you'll probably stop sweating over your current predicament.

Sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

cronin_j wrote: »
    Have you the app find my phone installed?

You can track it yourself then on https://icloud.com

Tracking an iphone via icloud or find my iphone has nothing to do with installing the app or not. It's replies completely location services settings. on the phone.
    I'm not trying to be pedantic, just think its best if the correct information is posted as people might think they are covered by having the app, or are not covered when they didn't have it, when neither is the case.
    cronin_j wrote: »
    They can actually, if its used. They can track it to the nearest cell tower, in fact they managed to convict a criminal in a court in dublin based on it.

That's only a benefit when trying to find missing person, or disprove the alibi of someone involved with a serious crime. In the OPs case, it would locate the phone to a huge area and then he'd no further clue where it was.

• Advertisement

NetNinja wrote: »
    Sure

Well played. Took me a while though. :)

Advertisement