Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hitler's Children

• 23-05-2012 5:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭

While not strictly WWII, this programme on BBC2 at 9.00pm this evening takes a look at the children and descendants of the most powerful members of the Nazi party and the SS and how they coped psychologically with the information of the deeds of their relations.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Prefab Sprouter

Really enjoyed this programme. Interesting to see how each one coped in their own way with the sins of the Grandparents, Parents........

Rudolf Hoess's grandson faced up to his family's past with dignity and respect, at one stage facing a group of Israeli students in Auschwitz itself. I dont know how he held it together......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

Bugger ! Missed it :mad:

I did come across this BBC article on it tho. Hopefully it will be repeated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

leincar wrote: »
    While not strictly WWII, this programme on BBC2 at 9.00pm this evening takes a look at the children and descendants of the most powerful members of the Nazi party and the SS and how they coped psychologically with the information of the deeds of their relations.

a terrible programme. Why would the grandchildren and great grandchildren feel guilty for the sins of their ancestors, although Amon Goeths daughter was blonde in every sense of the word.
    in some case these people make a career and a lot of money out of their psychological scars and washed dirty family washing in public at the expense of their own family.

maybe RTE could make a programme about Eamonn Cuiv O where he talks about the sins of his grandfather in the Civil War.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭leincar

Despite the many faults of Éamon De Valera he was never part of a régime that subjugated their own nation, wrought havoc and destruction on Europe which killed countless millions and murdered 11 million people in the Holocaust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭leincar

Really enjoyed this programme. Interesting to see how each one coped in their own way with the sins of the Grandparents, Parents........

Rudolf Hoess's grandson faced up to his family's past with dignity and respect, at one stage facing a group of Israeli students in Auschwitz itself. I dont know how he held it together......

I found it incredible that Hoess's Grandson felt such guilt as did Goering's Niece and Nephew.

As some people will have read on boards my wife is the daughter of Holocaust survivors. She had to go through part of her life living with the guilt of her parents as they survived. No other members of their families did.

Even today, as my wife approaches her late forties she sometimes feels guilt as well, mainly for the Aunts, Uncles, Cousins and Grandparents she never knew or had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

leincar wrote: »
    Despite the many faults of Éamon De Valera he was never part of a régime that subjugated their own nation, wrought havoc and destruction on Europe which killed countless millions and murdered 11 million people in the Holocaust.

he did cause a civil war which nearly destroyed the country and caused several needless deaths.

one of the interviewees stated that her brother and herself decided to have themselves sterilised, which is a bit OTT and lived her life in isolation. Such a waste of life. why not just commit suicide instead of harping on about guilty feelings for relatives they never actually met.

the programme is somewhat dated. the days when Germans are ashamed to be Germans belongs more to the nineties and before then. time to move on.

in keeping with the tabloid fascination for the Nazis, the mail has the following article

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1244754/Hermann-Goerings-great-niece-tells-Hitlers-Children-I-sterilised-I-pass-blood-monster.html

Goering was guilty of much but there were others in that gang guilty of far worse.... THEIR descendents - AND their ideas - still flourish. - (Old) Robert, Worcester UK, 20/1/2010 16:41 It shouldn't matter that their descendants flourish. They are innocent of any wrongdoing. Their ideas flourishing is a different matter entirely. I feel sorry for these poor people. We all want to be proud of our heritage. It must be very hard to be German or Austrian at times, feeling as if the world judges you for something which you had no hand in. - Jane, Wales, 20/1/2010 17:12 Jane - It's patronising people like you who perpetuate that silly idea - why, for heaven's sake, would the Germans and Austrians (65 years after the war) be worrying about what the rest of the world thinks of them. They have learnt from their country's mistakes and moved on - it's a shame people like you can't do the same!! and by the way .. the world is not judging them for the war .. we've moved on too!
    - Alan, Dorset, 21/1/2010 19:12
    Click to rate Rating 13 Report abuse
    Just as we did in the Second World War, we must resist the current invasion of our great country. I stand ready to fight.
    - Cheeky, England, 21/1/2010 18:09
    Click to rate Rating 3 Report abuse
    The article says: "One is Hitler's godson Niklas Frank, whose father Hans was Nazi governor of occupied Poland responsible for the death camps in which six million Jewish people were killed." I find it a bit lazy the way journalists simplify Nazi crimes as simply involving Jews. While in no way trying to belittle the atrocities against the Jewish people, I think it minimalises the horror of Naziism to just focus on that. Hans Frank also ran an anti-Polish/Slavic campaign of staggering ferocity. Polish academics and intellectuals were among the first inmates of Auschwitz and other concentration camps, as well as tens of thousands of Gypsies, Gays and Jehovah's Witnesses. Poles/Slavs were also considered sub-human by the Nazis and whole villages were destroyed under their reign. Frank also oversaw a continuation of the Nazi "euthenasia" project, which started in Germany, of the approved murder of thousands of of physically and mentally disabled/ill children and adults.
    - Trev, Poland, 21/1/2010 12:41
    Click to rate Rating 29 Report abuse
    Perhaps the apologist for communism would care to name a communist regime that wasn't oppressive!
    - Martyn Davies, ARZAL, 21/1/2010 11:45
    Click to rate Rating 45 Report abuse
    Shut up about the Nazis. What about the commies?
    - Virgil, Tracy Island, 21/1/2010 11:37
    Click to rate Rating 12 Report abuse
    Marching into foreign lands; demanding power; violently overthrowing the recognised rulers; building concentration camps; using local populations as slaves. No not Nazi Germany, the British Empire. Why should I be proud of being Britain's history? Nazi Germany did exactly what we had been doing for the 400 years before WW2. History is written by the victors.
    - Jake, Runcorn, England, 21/1/2010 09:33
    Click to rate Rating 28 Report abuse
    Oh god yet more Nazi bashing. Why don't you turn your attention to the horrors the japanese perpetrated. They are much much larger than what the germans did.
    - Mark Cullup, Witney, 21/1/2010 09:31
    Click to rate Rating 5 Report abuse
    They are still obviously worried about the purity or otherwise of blood!
    - Ron Matthews, La Breviere France, 21/1/2010 08:58
    Click to rate Rating 42 Report abuse
    Jack - Bingley and Alan - Canada. To compare Tony Blair with personnel from the Nazi regime is extremely naive at best and indicative of a supreme lack of intelligence at worst. Do you not realise that in doing this you are adopting some of the core traits of extremism - in this case Fascism. Extremely concerning.
    - Vom, Amsterdam, 21/1/2010 08:53
    Click to rate Rating 8 Report abuse
    "Perhaps the director of this film could go on to track down the descendants of those who were responsible for the bloodthirsty ideology of Communism, as well?" Tom, Middlesbrough, I suggest you go and read up on the ideology of Communism. No matter whether you think it's the best thing ever or pure evil, it's most certainly not bloodthirsty - indeed, how an ideology based entirely on equality of individuals and equality of opportunities can be bloodthirsty, I simply do not know. Perhaps, like every other Mail reader, you are mistaking 'Communism' with 'Stalinism'. No surprises there, then.
    - Tom, Manchester, UK, 21/1/2010 08:53
    Click to rate Rating 1 Report abuse

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1244754/Hermann-Goerings-great-niece-tells-Hitlers-Children-I-sterilised-I-pass-blood-monster.html#ixzz1vox2dtIO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

Fuinseog wrote: »
    maybe RTE could make a programme about Eamonn Cuiv O where he talks about the sins of his grandfather in the Civil War.
    :confused::confused::confused:

Advertisement