Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

motorbike licence

• 23-05-2012 5:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭

hi all i used to have a licence for a bike up to 125cc about maybe 10 years ago was thinking of getting a bike again there is a couple of things i would like to know
    1. do i need to do a theory test
    2. will i have to do the bike training and roughly how much would it cost

i have a full car licence for the last 5 years or so and never bothered to put the bike section on it if i went in to the tax office could i just renew my old one
    all advice will be appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Speedy199

You would definetly have to do the theory again and the Lessons..

IBT can vary from prices. can be cheaper if you got another person to do with you. Ring your local instructor for a quote on the IBT.

Im not sure about renewing your car licence if its not expired. Dont think there would be any point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭but43r

dk1345 wrote: »
    hi all i used to have a licence for a bike up to 125cc about maybe 10 years ago was thinking of getting a bike again there is a couple of things i would like to know
    1. do i need to do a theory test
    2. will i have to do the bike training and roughly how much would it cost

i have a full car licence for the last 5 years or so and never bothered to put the bike section on it if i went in to the tax office could i just renew my old one
    all advice will be appreciated

When exactly did you get your full category B driving licence?
    If it's less then 5 years ago then you will be able to get provisional category A without doing theory test and you won't have to do IBT. Get in touch with your local Motor Tax office and they'll be able to tell you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭dk1345

got in touch with the tax office today and its just over 5 years by three months so will have to start from scratch thanks for the advice folks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

got in touch with the tax office today and its just over 5 years by three months so will have to start from scratch thanks for the advice folks

Sh*t man that sucks :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭TBP

but43r wrote: »
    When exactly did you get your full category B driving licence?
    If it's less then 5 years ago then you will be able to get provisional category A without doing theory test and you won't have to do IBT. Get in touch with your local Motor Tax office and they'll be able to tell you.

Was just wondering if you or anyone else would know as I'm in sort of a similar the same situation as the OP would I just have to apply for the test then in order to get a full bike licence.

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Before you go through it all try the RSA as a last ditch effort. I rang the tax office myself and was told the same, but stupidly I didn't ring the RSA until I had done the theory test and eye test etc.

Turns out my original provisional was valid for a further year after I got my full car license which kept me inside that 5 year period.

When the tax office sent out my learner permit it had 992 stamped on it - 2nd provisional. So whoever I got on the phone hadn't got a clue. The RSA seemed to be clued in on it though.

Vikings wrote: »
    Before you go through it all try the RSA as a last ditch effort. I rang the tax office myself and was told the same, but stupidly I didn't ring the RSA until I had done the theory test and eye test etc.

Turns out my original provisional was valid for a further year after I got my full car license which kept me inside that 5 year period.

When the tax office sent out my learner permit it had 992 stamped on it - 2nd provisional. So whoever I got on the phone hadn't got a clue. The RSA seemed to be clued in on it though.
    cheers will try that do you know the number for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

cheers will try that do you know the number for them

http://bit.ly/LUfFfW

Vikings wrote: »

rang the rsa today and they said the same as the tax office

Advertisement