Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Discounts & buying new...how?

• 23-05-2012 5:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭

Hi,

So I was at a maindealer today (I won't say who, they might read this), looking at the bike of my dreams. Chatted to a sound and fairly straight-up salesman...wasn't overly/fake nice and wasn't a p$%ck, a good middle ground.

Got a quote on a NEW bike, with various upgrades/accessories. Bringing the bike from base 10,000e to 14,000e (or thereabouts)...

He didn't offer anything off the full price quoted on the computer. So I asked if the price was final ("I'm a cash buyer", "I'm buying within the next 2 weeks", "I'm not a tire kicker", etc.), and was told there'd be 350e off but that's about it as they're margins were lowered this year and stuff (yeah, yeah :)). He said the same about another bike I was looking at.

I don't buy vehicles often, and have never bought new. In this economy, blah, blah, blah, what should I push for? Do we bargain on new? I was thinking more like 1500e off...which is only 10%. I might be mad, but I just don't know about buying new. Given I'm getting plenty of extras, I'd expect some decent discount.

I'm fairly blunt and straight-up, I have no problem saying "I'll give you XYZ today, give me the bike, or I walk", but I'm not into smooth talking or trying to justify why I deserve discounts...so looking for tips here!

BTW, I'm not 100% that I'm buying new, but I would like to.

Cheers,
    rat_race

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

1500 off is a lot in my opinion, and because you're getting 4000 worth of extras doesn't mean 1500 of those extras should be free! in my opinion you should be looking at 3 figures off at the most. Having cash will definitely help your case, though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Anything from 3% to 5% is what I would be looking for.

I would tell him €13 000 for the €14 000 bike, and see what the reaction is.
    From there it is all about negotiation.

Good Luck.

When you have done the deal, let us know what you are getting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭Quebec Delta Mike

Shop around! There has to be several other shops selling the same make, no?
    See what they offer, but I would agree to a three figure discount at most.
    Good luck.

Advertisement