Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Joey Barton verdict

• 23-05-2012 6:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭

QPR midfielder Joey Barton has been banned for 12 matches by the Football Association following his red card at Manchester City. Story soon

BBC

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Should have been 38 for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

Should be banned from Twitter too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

So some of the ban is for throwing a head that got within about 2 feet of kpmpany but nothing for tevez for throwing the first dig that started it all? Seems fair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

12 games is bonkers, nobody was injured. 6 would have been plenty.

Actually a better punishment would have been a one on one cage match up with Kompany.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

12 match ban ok,but 75k fine,sure thats peanuts,would that be 2 weeks wages to Barton? He is surely one of QPR top earners

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,878 ✭✭✭RayCon

F.uck him ... couldn't care less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

12 games? Suarez' alleged racial abuse got 8, and Barton gets 12. Doesn't make sense to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

This means nothing to me. The guy doesn't matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

does this reprehensible human being warrant another thread?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

12 games? Suarez' alleged racial abuse got 8, and Barton gets 12. Doesn't make sense to me

4 games for the red card
    4 for the Aguero incident
    4 for trying to headbutt Kompany

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Thats the right length imo. No problem with what he did to Tevez, not much issue with the Kompany thing, but attacking Aguero was cowardly and deserves a long ban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I'd rather be called a honkey, than booted or nutted.

EDIT: Maybe you meant he deserved more/Suarez less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

About time they decided to do something right. Fine's are useless to Priemer League players, ban's are the only thing that will get the message across to them. QPR should fine him his wage for the duration though. His stupidity could have gotten them relegated.

I don't think it's the fact that it's Barton, its more where the **** the FA got 12 matches from, I have seen a lot worse things that what Barton did.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

There's your answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

So he misses the first twelve games of the season?? Thank Christ Camolli has left Liverpool, he would have tried to sign him!!!

Mr Alan wrote: »
    4 games for the red card

Ok, thanks. I had assumed the ban was on top of the red card and was just for the Aguero incident
    Grayditch wrote: »
    I'd rather be called a honkey, than booted or nutted.

EDIT: Maybe you meant he deserved more/Suarez less.

I wasn't really saying either deserved more or less other than in comparison to each other, kicking out at someone got a longer ban (I now realise this isn't the case as above) than racism (FWIW I feel Suarez was hard done by as there was no conclusive evidence, but nobody wants to reopen that can of worms)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Jigga

Bit excessive if you ask me. If you are an established England international you can get away scot-free with doing this:

And the FA will bend over backwards for you to get a lenient ban for this:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

He should threaten to retire from international football unless the ban is reduced...

• Advertisement

That last Rooney vid isn't bad at all, a bit of a kick at him, hardly career ending.

What about this,I cant remember if Shearer got banned for doing this

Neil3030 wrote: »
    He should threaten to retire from international football unless the ban is reduced...

:D:D

cson wrote: »
    That last Rooney vid isn't bad at all, a bit of a kick at him, hardly career ending.

Neither was Barton's

What about this,I cant remember if Shearer got banned for doing this

That Neil Lennon guy shouldn't be allowed near a football pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Mr Alan wrote: »
    4 games for the red card

Pity they couldn't give him a few extra on top of that for his public comments about trying to provoke an opponent into getting sent-off with him before he was removed from the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Be it justified or not, I don't think anyone can argue football will be a better game with this guy out of it for a while. I for one do not feel a bit sorry for him, he should just quit the game and do everyone a favour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

This is the worst I've ever seen

Only got a yellow card at the time, later upgraded to an eight-game ban

Barton's a clown, and admitted to trying to start a fight after his sending off to get one of their players sent off. Any apologies that come from him are utterly insincere. Ban fully deserved IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

cson wrote: »

And his nick on Aguero put the Argentinian's footballing career in the balance did it? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

So he's basically getting 12 games just because he's Joey Barton?

Sounds dodgy enough to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

kitakyushu wrote: »
    Pity they couldn't give him a few extra on top of that for his public comments about trying to provoke an opponent into getting sent-off with him before he was removed from the pitch.

Players try to get their opponants sent off in every game by diving and rolling around, yet its passed off by many as "part of the game"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 731 ✭✭✭inmyday

12 is a joke... If 12 is the benchmark for incidents like this, then there will be players getting 8+ game bans every week in the premier league.
    A good few players lose the head on the pitch... look at Rooney in the videos above, how he didnt get a ban for the elbow Ill never know. And then what about Keane, He only got 8 for a planned attack.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,278 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Deserved. Delighted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

insert youtube clip of different incident where punishment was lesser/greater [/youtube].

Follow up with faux 'I don't understand Bartons punishment in relation to above youtube clip.'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Barton is a disgrace to football and always has been. Watching that match with 7 year old son and seeing his expression saddened me in what was to be an exciting day of football. These guys are paid stupid amounts of money to play the beautiful game and be role models for kids, he does neither. Qpr should with hold all salary from him while suspended and get rid asap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

He lashed out, didn't really do anyone any damage (that's not to say there wasn't any intent) in fairness to him.

12 games is harsh when you look at it like that so it seems the FA are as fed up with him as most people are and decided to throw the book at him.

As it's Joey Barton I suppose I don't really have a problem with it but it's probably not fair in comparison to other bans...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,992 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I absolutely detest the sight of Barton on a football pitch but there has to be more consistency from the FA. I think in this instance they did the right thing but in many other ones they didn't.

Barton is a disgrace to football and always has been. Watching that match with 7 year old son and seeing his expression saddened me in what was to be an exciting day of football. These guys are paid stupid amounts of money to play the beautiful game and be role models for kids, he does neither. Qpr should with hold all salary from him while suspended and get rid asap.

They are not being paid to be role models at all, they are under no obligation to be a role model to anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I think they also took prior offences into account. Can't be the first ban above and beyond a red card he's gotten?

That he's Joey Barton is important - serial offenders deserve sterner punishments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

12 games is too long its as simple as that. Maybe if tevez got some sort of ban for instigating it then it could be reasonable but still to long imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Should be banned from Twitter too.

Should be banned from breathing.

Renn wrote: »
    So he's basically getting 12 games just because he's Joey Barton?
    Yes. In this case, a person's reputation preceding them is fully justified

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Jigga

insert youtube clip of different incident where punishment was lesser/greater [/youtube].

Follow up with faux 'I don't understand Bartons punishment in relation to above youtube clip.'
    I posted the Rooney clip because I find it incredible that the FA can justify such a lengthy ban for violent conduct when they appealed so rigorously against Rooney's ban at Euro 2012 for the same sort of offence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

I hope, he learns his lesson :rolleyes:

But on another note, a bit off topic, but is it true, that his brother was arrested for racial abuse some years ago in Liverpool? Heard this story in my local the other day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

Daemos wrote: »
    Yes. In this case, a person's reputation preceding them is fully justified

No it's not. He should be judged on the facts including previous bans and actions but not reputation.

In saying that I don't see a problem with the length of the ban. Red card was always 4 games, kicking a player after your sent off and trying to butt another could easily be 4 games each. Those incidents are not necessarily to be looked at in isolation either, they were done after he was red carded and supposed to leave the pitch.

Lars1916 wrote: »
    I hope, he learns his lesson :rolleyes:

But on another note, a bit off topic, but is it true, that his brother was arrested for racial abuse some years ago in Liverpool? Heard this story in my local the other day.

His brother is in jail for his part in a racially motivated murder afaik

rarnes1 wrote: »
    His brother is in jail for his part in a racially motivated murder afaik

Murder? FFS :eek:

I don't know, but maybe there is some weird streak in that family? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Haha, sending offs and racially motivated murders are pretty much identical.

Renn wrote: »
    Haha, sending offs and racially motivated murders are pretty much identical.

I didn't say, it's 'identical', just that both brothers seemed to look for trouble...for various reasons maybe.

But the guy in the pub, who mentioned Joey Barton's brother, tried to convince me, that the whole family is some racist clan.

Scuba Ste wrote: »
    No it's not. He should be judged on the facts including previous bans and actions but not reputation.
    Are they not the same thing?

• Advertisement
Advertisement