Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting around Perth / Travelling in Perth

Options
  • 23-05-2012 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hey All,

I've just moved to Perth and living in south Perth. What i'm wondering about is the transport system.

There's so many buses and stops, how do I know where I'm going??

Then whats the best way to pay for the buses?? I've seen different ways to save money with different types of tickets.

Whats the story with the Free City Transport in the CBD?? I know that there are three CAT services which are free, but is all public travel within Zone 1 free aswell????

Also how much is taking the Ferry from Mends St Jetty across the river to Barrack St Jetty???

Sorry if any of these are stupid question!!! And thanks in advance for all responses.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭FunkyDa2

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

Transperth def where to look, I have been here for 6 months now, finally got a car last weekend, decided to wait a while and get something decent unlike most of the sh*tboxes you see lads get the minute they arrive.

I live in the city so really only use it the weekend, It will depend on where your living and what you want to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭NoelAPM

The best way to pay for fairs is by getting the card. Can't remember what its called ha! Works for all trans Perth services. Buses, trains ect. You tag on and off at train stations and on buses. The cheapest fairs are received when you top up your card by direct debit.

I have an iPhone but if you even just check a computer or laptop before you leave, go onto google maps and get transit directions to your destination. I have found it deadly accurate. It will tell you what train line, stations, what bus number and what bus stops. It even tells you what time the buses ect. Arrive at and how long it'll take you to walk to the bus stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Google maps on a smart phone is really handy for finding out the best options for using transperth, their own website while informative does take time to figure out.

Get the card, I think it was $10 and you'll make huge savings. Bus trips are individual fares but you don't have to scan on and off again if stitching trains in Perth central.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭bheart65

All the info is on the transperth website as mentioned by an earlier poster. It has a handy route finder, just type in where you are and where you want to go to, and it gives you the bus numbers, stops, connecting trains etc.

If you zoom in on where you live on Google maps, (make sure the transit option is ticked), you'll see little bus icons where the stops near you are, click on these and it will tell you the route numbers and the time of the next bus due. Look up the routes on transperth to see where they go.

The prepaid smart card is the way to go. 99% of regular commuters use it, just hold it to tagging reader and it beeps, do the same before you hop off and it deducts the fare automatically.

A dayrider ticket costs $9.30 after 9 or 10 in the morning, and allows you to travel on any bus, train, ferry etc. for the whole day. It's a good way to get to know the routes etc. to see if they'll suit you, especially at the weekends when they're quieter, just be aware the timetable is slightly different at the weekend. If there's more than 1 adult, get a familyrider at the weekend. Works out cheaper.

While you're on the buses, you can pick up paper copies of the local timetables. They're just below the driver in little plastic holders. Train timetables are available in the underground station.

Tripmate Perth is a brilliant app and gives you the timetables in an easy format. Handy for finding out when the next bus is due.

As far as the CBD is concerned, I think only the cats are free. The cheapest fare on regular buses is a two-stage ticket, within the one zone as far as I know.

• Advertisement
Advertisement