Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DS repair-Trax Music.

Options
  • 23-05-2012 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Recently brought 2 DS Lites in to be repaired. Said to the guy I reckoned it was the cable between the 2 screens were loose as when the both were switched on white lines appeared on the top screen and upon looking at them he agreed with me. I had also researched this problem online beforehand. Then asked if he could have them ready by the end of the week, this was a Tuesday, he said he def would. Then I queried the cost and he said it was hard to tell so I said if it looks like it'll cost over €40/50 then ring me to see if I want to go ahead with the repair.
    So I arrive back that Friday to be told it's going to take another week. I was a bit disappointed as we were going on holidays a couple of days later and wanted them for that but nothing I could do.
    So, then today I go back in to pick them up. Only to be told it's going to cost €70 for both apparenty 2 new screens had to be got for both. Now these one of the consoles is about 5 years old and the other I bought 2nd hand for 65 euro. There was no way I was paying that much money for the repair which IMO I don't think was needed. Told the guy behind the counter I was told I'd be contacted if came to more than 50 quid. He just shrugged his shoulders and even laughed a little when I told him one was second hand. I didnt even have that kind of money to pay out today anyway.
    Is it just me or is this a mental price? Especially as replacement screens can be bought on e-bay for about €10.
    I am totally disgusted at the customer service of this place and honestly feel like I'm being done over.
    So beware where you get console repairs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Memory Of 98

Brought them in where to be repaired? I think I can already guess as there is only one place in town that does repairs that I and about half the population of the town have been at war with over shoddy workmanship and trickery!

Did you walk away without your DS`s?

You both agreed to a plan of action and they did not follow through, do what I did call the consumer rights people and get some political law jargon that you can quote out and go back to the shop and if not threaten to go to the newspaper and radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Betty-ireland

Brought them in where to be repaired? I think I can already guess as there is only one place in town that does repairs that I and about half the population of the town have been at war with over shoddy workmanship and trickery!

Did you walk away without your DS`s?

You both agreed to a plan of action and they did not follow through, do what I did call the consumer rights people and get some political law jargon that you can quote out and go back to the shop and if not threaten to go to the newspaper and radio.
    Apparently I'm not allowed to name a business?!?! So I can't say where now so my post makes no sense.
    But yes I did leave without them. I felt pretty intimidated being on my own with 2 guys behind the counter and I also had my daughter with me so I didn't want to kick up a fuss in front of her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

I dropped my DELL Inspiron into same place close to Dominos Pizza last year to get Software updated New security,& speed up my laptop etc. . . . Could of done the work myself but said id leave it to the experts :cool:
    We agreed a price of €50 that was fine went back 2 days later & he said still a lot of problems & needed a few more days with it.
    Finally when it was ready he printed off an invoice labour €60 Panda Security €39 (30 years security apparently) total + vat was over €100 but after arguing over the price he accepted €80 sneaky so & so's :mad:
    Wouldn't go back there & if anything the security he put on just made the computer worse

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

In terms of cleaning up a computer and using a security software it is hard to go past ccleaner (Link) to clean it up and then run a defrag on the disk to organise the split files on the disk (Link).
    also one of the best performing AVs on windows machines at the moment is Microsoft Security essentials (Link).
    If you suspect that you have a virus or malware on your system then download and install malwarebytes free (Link).

All of this software is free and will only take a few minutes to download and install. The defrag should take 1-2 hours to run but other than that all the rest will run and complete scans etc in a couple of minutes 5-10.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭seedubya

@op - please clarify that this is NOT Carlow Computer Repairs you're speaking of. CCR is my company and is also on Castle Hill and close to Dominos Pizza. There are two shops here within 50m of each other and you need to be clear who you're NOT talking about. Your indiscriminate comment has had people calling me asking if it's me on boards. :o

mods: I'm not comfortable with this thread as it stands ...... way too much chance of collateral damage to my business...

• Advertisement

seedubya wrote: »
    @op - please clarify that this is NOT Carlow Computer Repairs you're speaking of. CCR is my company and is also on Castle Hill and close to Dominos Pizza. There are two shops here within 50m of each other and you need to be clear who you're NOT talking about. Your indiscriminate comment has had people calling me asking if it's me on boards. :o

mods: I'm not comfortable with this thread as it stands ...... way too much chance of collateral damage to my business...
    I had the place named in my original post but it was removed. I asked for it to be put back but I wS told no.
    The place I am referring to is neither place near dominos.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Memory Of 98

Op, have you gotten your DS's back yet? What this business is doing is clearly criminal and they are in possession of equipment that not only you have paid for, but I assume also have the relevant paperwork, to prove that it is yours.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I had the place named in my original post but it was removed. I asked for it to be put back but I wS told no.
    The place I am referring to is neither place near dominos.
    If you wish to re-insert the name, as I already told you, please let me know what it is and I will change thread title.

Ihad to give in and pay for the DS'. I got my husband to call and try reason with them but no, they wouldn't budge. He even tried to say we agreed on a price when I left them in whih we couldn't have as he wasn't sure what was wrong with them. And he said if we didn't pay for them he'd sell them on. I was so annoyed I couldn't even go in to get them myself and will most certainly not be darkening their door again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Celeron Media

Said to the guy I reckoned it was the cable between the 2 screens were loose as when the both were switched on white lines appeared on the top screen and upon looking at them
    Fractured Top LCD Flex Ribbon and not a loose cable. The guy is obviously a cowboy. In his mind he thought that the ribbon was loose and that he could easily get €40/50 off you and do the job in 15 minutes by just re-inserting the ribbon back into the P3 jack on the circuit board.

I'd say by the time the cowboy realised new top lcd's were needed. He ordered them on Ebay from China, that's why they were not ready 2-3 weeks.

I run a console sales & repair business Dublin and the average price for 2 ds lites to have the top lcd's replaced sameday or next day is €35 - €40. €70 is shocking and also to change the price after the agreed price. Very unprofessional and a disgrace. I'm completely shocked but I am fully aware of these types of cowboys.

Everyone is a tech these days, even my post man. But if something seems odd about a repair business or a bit clueless. CANCEL THE REPAIR STRAIGHT AWAY.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

If you feel you have been wronged then proceed to NCA. The next time he under estimates a task, he will just screw the consumer over again.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/consumer_protection/consumer_rights/your_rights_when_you_buy_a_service.html

Advertisement